Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2013, 09:36 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,970 times

Advertisements

Yes, I know it seems absurd, but here is my question:

If I were to fabricate a steal planter and a planter brace (for lack of a better term) which would set in the ground, below the top soil, and the planter with a small palm tree could set inside the brace during the warm months... In theory, would it be possible to maintain a live palm tree in my yard?

I guess my biggest assumption is that if I were to plant the palm in a smaller planter, I could control it's growth, and still be able to bring it indoors during winter months.

Yeah, I know it sounds dumb, but is it possible? Or are there any other methods of maintaining a palm in a climate such as Omaha? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 01:29 AM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
This website might enlighten you. I hope you meant steel planter not steal one.
Nebraska Palm Trees

Old 03-18-2013, 02:45 AM

262 posts, read 607,044 times
I don't know if we're allowed to link other message boards here, but there's a large cold hardy palm community online, and there are people who manage to get palms to grow in pretty unexpected areas. Granted they have to go to some pretty extreme measures to overwinter them outdoors.

I personally have a large collection on palms, both here in Wyoming, and back home with my parents in Illinois (I keep mine potted and indoors for the winter btw). During the winters I'm pretty generous with the fungicide, and they seem to explode once they're back outdoors in the late spring. So in answer to your question, yes; depending on how crazy you want to get, the sky's the limit.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:38 PM

67 posts, read 242,789 times
Neat. If you do this, please share some pics!

Old 03-19-2013, 12:27 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
There are many varieties of palm tree and some are both small and gorgeous. Those are often grown in planters.

I've got trees that won't grow where I am and they are thriving. They are outside during summer and inside under grow lights in the winter.

Whether it will work, depends a little bit upon what variety you plant and a whole lot on how much attention you will pay to the tree.

Also, do some research on container gardening. The "soil" you use will make or break the project. There is no soil at all in the containers for my precious trees, and personally, I dislike peat moss in containers.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:56 PM

262 posts, read 607,044 times
Phoenix robellini is a very popular small palm that seems to handle the indoors well. Palms of the genus Trachycarpus are also compact, and incredible tough, but they're a bit hard to come by.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:11 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,970 times
Thank a lot for all the info and suggestions, and I will definitely take into account all the info as I am a rookie and know absolutely nothing.

Basically, my goal is to landscape the front area of my home with a tropical look, of which, some could be accomplished with tropical-looking plants which actually thrive in our climate.

Anyway, the project starts soon, and I will definitely post before/midway/and after pics!

Old 03-23-2013, 07:13 PM

336 posts, read 575,467 times
I live in council Bluffs. Have a lot of palms but I move them in a plant room for the winter. They are great outdoors in the summer for a tropical look but they need to be inside for the cold season.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:25 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Works best if you move the palms into a Uhaul in mid-September and get them down to Pinellas County, Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden