Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 02:32 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times

Advertisements

I would really like to get a palm tree for my balcony, something like a coconut or date palm. I just wasn't sure if it would be able to survive mild winters. I won't be in Michigan, but if I kept it inside during the nights or cold days in the winter.. would it be ok?

I wouldn't want to spend the money if it's futile.. any advice would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 06:05 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
My feeling is that, since both palms you mention are very large, in the best case scenario it would not fit into your house in the winter. If you have a sunny spot indoors to winter a palm, maybe go for a smaller variety or even a banana plant.
Sago Palm is very slow growing and stays short, although it is wide, so you may not have room.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:02 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
I have had a palm for the past 2 years. I bought it on a whim. It spends summers out on my covered porch and winters inside my sunny living room. It does seem to be OK with some direct sun. That's sunlight hitting the leaves, and it likes bright light.

I am actually not sure of the type of palm, but it looks like this one on Ikea's website:
CHRYSALIDOCARPUS LUTESCENS Potted plant - IKEA

I water it once a week, and it is in a big pot with a saucer underneath.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:10 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Check out Pygmy Date Palms for containers. We have had a Pygmy Date Palm in a glazed pot now for 6 years. It is now about 3 ft tall. It's a very slow grower and low maintenance, making it an ideal container plant that you can move inside in the winter if needed.

How to Plant a Pygmy Date Palm | eHow.com

Old 03-16-2013, 11:49 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
The Ikea palm mentioned above is an areca, those do well in pots. I haven't ever had a pygmy date palm but they sound like a good candidate for container growing. The coconut palm would not do well on you balcony at all. They won't grow small even if you keep them in a small pot. They get huge pretty much no matter what you do. They are pretty slow growing, though, so you'd have a year or two perhaps before it outgrew your balcony.

The "parlor palm" is a nice palm for a pot. Although it is a multi-trunk/stem sort of palm. Were you looking for something closer to the iconic coconut palm? One that has a single trunk and then a bunch of leaves at the top? Perhaps a ti plant or a dracaena would give you that sort of look and not outgrow your balcony?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden