Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2012, 02:41 PM

37,372 posts, read 41,644,472 times

Advertisements

100 Year Old Compton Oak Move Successful in League City - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 02:45 PM

26,329 posts, read 94,044,957 times
What happens if you transplant a tree on Sept 21 from the northern hemisphere to the exact same latitude and climate in the southern hemisphere? The tree is entering its dormant cycle and being transplanted to a place which the trees are entering the blooming cycling. The tree is six months out of phase. Will in get in sync? How long?

Old 10-07-2012, 03:35 PM

37,372 posts, read 41,644,472 times
Since you can force bulbs to bloom out of season, I suspect the tree would just follow the environmental clues and join the current season.

Forcing Bulbs for Indoor Beauty in Winter

Old 10-07-2012, 04:49 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,873,847 times
I am like a kid watching tree companies that I hire move trees for my clients that I cant handle.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:32 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,844,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I am like a kid watching tree companies that I hire move trees for my clients that I cant handle.
I didn't even look past the still picture and already was wondering it you'd attempt that. I've only witnessed a few 'tree moves' and unfortunately some were not successes when revisited a few years later. One of the worst was a commercial developer and builder who tried to circumvent some legal stuff and did an overnight "transplant" of some mature trees, not quite this size though!!!!!

Thanks for posting the link Suzi_q.

Charles the tree might just stay green if the transplanting could be done instantly and didn't require an ocean voyage. Trees go dormant and come out of dormancy following several cues and chemical changes and scientists don't know all of them yet. There are a lot of chemical changes that occur inside the plant tissues, and the plants do get it wrong as everyone was noticing with the weird blooming out of season this past winter.

Obviously changing sunlight conditions is one cue, as are changing overnight temps. There also have been experiments to "fool" plants to be out of season that demonstrate that doing it too long causes death. As with Suzi's example of forcing bulbs there are lots of unknowns as to what is happening and why. Very often you cannot force the bulb a second and third time and if planted out of doors it may skip a bloom year following forcing.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:27 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,405,807 times
I've seen them transplant mature trees before, even old live oaks like shown in the vid.
But just because they were moved successfully, unfortunately does not necessarily mean they will transplant successfully.
Moving it is just the beginning and it's very sad when they go through the expense only to have the thing die or get trampled by construction equipment and then never watered.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:38 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,211,058 times
If a pest eats all of the leaves from a tree it will sprout new leaves to replace them. Most trees can do this at least one time during the growing season.

Trees are triggered by temp and light as the tree will be getting adequate light and temps it will leaf out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What happens if you transplant a tree on Sept 21 from the northern hemisphere to the exact same latitude and climate in the southern hemisphere? The tree is entering its dormant cycle and being transplanted to a place which the trees are entering the blooming cycling. The tree is six months out of phase. Will in get in sync? How long?

Old 10-08-2012, 01:08 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,873,847 times
[quote=J&Em;26425960]I didn't even look past the still picture and already was wondering it you'd attempt that. I've only witnessed a few 'tree moves' and unfortunately some were not successes when revisited a few years later. One of the worst was a commercial developer and builder who tried to circumvent some legal stuff and did an overnight "transplant" of some mature trees, not quite this size though!!!!!

Yeah I've seen some horror stories in my day. Currently I will only move palms and nothing bigger than 10-13 feet of brown trunk not including the pinapple. About 10,000 lbs max. And only if the conditions and terrain are right with street access for a small crane operator I work with.

Other than that my plant supplier does all my other moves as they have a full service tree company.

Here is an example of the Palms we moved from one site to another locally for this Church in Manteca California. The Front two palms onlyat the entrance . The other 40 plams we planted we had trucked in from SoCal.

http://img.groundspeak.com/waymarkin...5135956587.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden