Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2013, 03:09 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,606,005 times

Advertisements

I am looking at several trees my neighbor has that have leaves similar to the golden rain tree but since it does not flower like the other trees that are golden rain trees I am wondering what it is. It has clusters of seeds like grapes but yellow, the trees are quite tall and lanky and seem to put on leaves near the ends of the branches, the trees grow quite tall here. My neighbor wants to give me one but I am hesitant until I know what the heck it is. The trees are starting to loose there leaves here in South Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 05:36 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,331,019 times
melia azedarach---chinaberry tree??? if so, can be regarded as a "weed tree" in some areas of the deep south.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:20 PM

Contact!!!, that is it. I need a shade tree for the west side of my house and garage but I am not sure of the Chinaberry now since it is an invasive species. Does anyone have a suggestion of an alternative? The west side of my house gets sun from 1pm until sunset and makes the house hotter than it needs to be.
Sidney in Port St. Lucie

Old 11-01-2013, 09:38 PM

glad to know that my guess was good!!! you might consider the dual purpose (shade/flowering) trees peltophorum with yellow flowrs or tabebuia ("trumpet tree") which comes in both yellow flowered (t. argentea and several other species) or purple flowered (t. impetiginosa but several other species ,too) or perhaps a jacaranda of some sort. all of these are deciduous to some degree so you will have to do some raking of leaves and/or flowers and pods but all beautiful and useful things need care of some sort. hope this helps.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:47 PM

yes, all beautiful. On the other side of my front yard I have a yellow tab about 25 feet, then a Little Gem Magnolia, a spindle palm, a large screw pine, a grouping of three palms( sylvestre, chinese and ponytail and a bottle palm then the double driveway. I am a senior citizen and will have little time to enjoy growing a tree and need to get a few on each side of the driveway that are perhaps 8-10 feet already.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:12 PM

am guessing that there are local nurseries that will have good sized plants of at least some of the species mentioned and others as well----if you have the money, they will have the plants, LOL. you might also consider bauhinia blakeana (orchid tree) or a crepe myrtle---especially "queens crepe myrtle" (lagerstroemia speciosa) or a cassia/senna of some kind. the possibilities in your climate are many.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:57 PM

The city has planted a lot of golden rain trees and the yellow cassia's so who am I to argue. both are pretty

Old 11-01-2013, 11:09 PM

am sure you will find something out there that will meet your needs and your wants. have fun searching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden