Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 02:29 PM

850 posts, read 1,026,407 times

Advertisements

Let the other people pick up the check.

Dine and Dash.

Bring some dried insect parts (legs mostly) and sprinkle them into the food towards the end. Look mortified rather than mad.

ok ok , I keeed...

Pick places that have good food and great happy hour deals - like 2 for 1 or 50% off (not necessarily the same!)

Some places (often newer) have a buy x times get a free meal punch card and are a good deal even without.

Take turns with your spouse, sex pardner (not necessarily the same!) or even "just" friend playing commercial food service establishment but at home. Take advantage of any spin off scenarios.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 08:29 PM

164 posts, read 195,727 times
I usually keep things like coupons for chains lying around. Other than that, we have our usual local restaurants where we know the price and quality are pretty good. I'm not much of a chef but my need to eat healthy keep out out of restaurants. Water for meals unless we're going to Chinese and Korean places where tea is free.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:55 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
lol i was just gonna say after 5 chinese meals im good on chinese for like a month as well lol
I eat the same meal three times in two days; my brother actually has two different meals. He gets a beef dish and I always get the same shrimp and chicken dish. That is still enough to hold me for at least a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggWaffle View Post
I usually keep things like coupons for chains lying around. Other than that, we have our usual local restaurants where we know the price and quality are pretty good. I'm not much of a chef but my need to eat healthy keep out out of restaurants. Water for meals unless we're going to Chinese and Korean places where tea is free.
This one Chinese restaurant that I mentioned does not offer free tea... they charged me $1.50 for 3/4 of a cup hot water and one tea bag... nothing to sweeten it with either. I now just have water with my lunch and have tea with dinner at home.

Our other Chinese place offers free pots of tea with refills. We eat there less often because the other one is closer to walk to.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:59 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,475,810 times
Sometimes I get coupons and use those. Sometimes I eat at places that I like that serve larger portions and I bring some home with me for later. We have a Chinese restaurant that has these combination dinners, and it costs about $15.00 per person. We found out that for some reason if you order for 32 people you get the same amount of food as when you order for 4 people. It is served family style on large plates. There are 4 of us so we just order for 3 and pay less and always have food to take home as well.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:03 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
If we go out, I only drink ice water. I usually just get a salad.

When I was first married, we were pretty broke, but we could pick, appetizer or dessert, and get dressed up, and make a reservation for a very exclusive place, but go early or late, not at dinner rush, and we would have either dessert or appetizer and split it. Always fun, and frugal.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:16 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Go to good places with good service and of course good food.
Pay what it costs, tip correctly, smile about it and have a good time.

Want/need to be frugal about it? Go less often.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:18 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Just the other night we went to one of our favorite steak places and had an appetizer that we split, a salad wedge that we split, unlimited iced tea and we each had a sandwich without any sides.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:21 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
If we go out, I only drink ice water. I usually just get a salad.

When I was first married, we were pretty broke, but we could pick, appetizer or dessert, and get dressed up, and make a reservation for a very exclusive place, but go early or late, not at dinner rush, and we would have either dessert or appetizer and split it. Always fun, and frugal.
That does sound like it was fun.

I use to take my son out for treats like that when he was younger. We usually split a dessert tho.

Last year I won a free trip to Seattle. Hotel and air fare was free. Food was not (except at the buffet at the ball game). My brother and I split every meal we ate in the restaurant of the hotel (exactly 2 meals - for a total of $60.00!), which were the first night there and breakfast before we left. We ate sparingly the day of the game.

Last edited by tulani; 10-06-2013 at 01:36 AM..

Old 10-06-2013, 04:39 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,921,160 times
I live in a rented room with no cooking facilities so I eat the asian buffet a few times a week and have a few subway $5 footlongs the other few days.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:02 PM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
I have a request for those of you who are splitting meals and not ordering drinks.

Please leave a generous tip for the server. She's done just as much work, or more (probably more), to serve you and a percentage of a cheapskate meal really isn't enough to leave her. Figure your tip as a percentage of what it would have been if you'd ordered a full meal.

I am really gung-ho to save money, but I won't do it by taking money out of a working person's pocket.

For traveling, to save money, the supermarkets on the left coast all have very good delis. That might be true all over the country. I can get better fried chicken for less than 1/2 the price of the fast food restaurants, and they sell small servings of good salads. I can go to the produce department and buy fruit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living