Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 06:53 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,450,812 times

Advertisements

Dollar menu @ McD's or Little Cesars Pizza has large pizzas for $5 every day. Either way you can feed a carfull of kids for $5.

(Unfortunately it's not the healthiest food in the world, but healthy food is much cheaper prepared at home)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 07:34 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,097,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
If I'm hungry and want to be cheap and eat out, I hit the $1 menu @ fast food places and get water. I don't drink soda anyways. Or I go to ethnic places like a Vietnamese sandwich shop for their sandwich which cost $2.50-3.00. Hit a Mexican food roach coach and grab a burrito or taco.

yeah this is kinda my go to just to be cehap but lets be honest its crap food and you get sick of it quick thats my problem with fast food

Old 10-05-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I may eat at restaurants that serve big portions and box half of it. I also have been known to order an appetizer as an entrée. I drink the tap water, and don't order dessert.
yeah magianos is kinda on the expensive side but has been running this special forever buy one pasta dish get a second free and 2 pasta dishes from there is like 4 meals

Old 10-05-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
My brother and I love to walk to the Chinese place just down the road for lunch.

He is a big eater and can put away a plate of food, plus a bowl or rice and half my bowl of rice. That's after he eats his bowl of soup and the rest of mine.

I eat half my soup and a couple fried wontons and don't really want much of the huge platter of food they bring. I order something different than my brother, and I eat a little bit of it and take the rest home.

That night, I make a big pot of rice and we eat the leftovers.

I put aside a little for me for another meal for lunch the next day.

Including tip, we pay about $25. for 5 meals. I consider that cheap for Chinese food and I get to eat it for three days in row! Then I don't want anymore for another month.
lol i was just gonna say after 5 chinese meals im good on chinese for like a month as well lol

Old 10-05-2013, 09:07 AM

978 posts, read 2,053,499 times
Split a meal with someone. Some restaurants offer huge portions which are way too big for me to eat alone.

A local pub has a 1/2lb burger for $7.99 that comes with a ton of fries. I split it with my other half so we get dinner for two for just $7.99 + tip.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:20 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,393,975 times
Like another poster said - Entertainment Book, coupons.

Take-away vs. dine in. Even if we're away from home, we gt takeout and eat at a park most times. (I've got a toddler and sometimes just dont want to deal with eating in too). We keep "real" silverware in the glovebook since plastic flatware is miserable.

I generally drink water at home with meals - so I do the same when we're out. Here in SoCal a iced tea came run $3 -4 bucks.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:25 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Asking for a small glass of water

Old 10-05-2013, 12:41 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,332,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
yeah this is kinda my go to just to be cehap but lets be honest its crap food and you get sick of it quick thats my problem with fast food
True, the dollar menu gets old very, very quick. But I can never get enough of those Vietnamese sandwiches (especially BBQ Pork/Grilled Pork) and those beef burritos from roach coach.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:07 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
I'm out in the country and by the time we drive into town, it is a lot faster and easier to just cook at home.

I dislike paying money for food that isn't as good as what I cook, so restaurant meals tend to be expensive in my family.

My quick, too-tired-to-cook meal is to get out a cookie sheet, place a silicone liner on it, pour on a layer of Juanitas tortilla chips, Dab on spoonfuls of canned chili, topped with grated cheddar cheese and put it in the oven until the cheese is toasted.

Set it out on the counter with the sour cream and hot sauce and nobody ever complains.

If I know that the day will be long and hard, I put a pot roast into the crock pot before leaving home.

I also have an assortment of main dishes packaged in the freezer to be zapped in the microwave. Whenever I cook any sort of casserole, I make much more than needed and freeze the excess as microwave meals.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:00 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,450,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm out in the country and by the time we drive into town, it is a lot faster and easier to just cook at home.

I dislike paying money for food that isn't as good as what I cook, so restaurant meals tend to be expensive in my family.

My quick, too-tired-to-cook meal is to get out a cookie sheet, place a silicone liner on it, pour on a layer of Juanitas tortilla chips, Dab on spoonfuls of canned chili, topped with grated cheddar cheese and put it in the oven until the cheese is toasted.

Set it out on the counter with the sour cream and hot sauce and nobody ever complains.

If I know that the day will be long and hard, I put a pot roast into the crock pot before leaving home.

I also have an assortment of main dishes packaged in the freezer to be zapped in the microwave. Whenever I cook any sort of casserole, I make much more than needed and freeze the excess as microwave meals.
Mmmmmmmm, nachos!! Sounds good!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living