Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 09:21 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,304 times

Advertisements

I remember as a kid I always wanted frosted mini wheats but my mom always bought the big frosted wheats and told me to break them into mini wheats myself, miniwheats were $1 more a box...lol.

I think this type of thing is one of the easiest to do for those just starting out trying to be frugal.

Instead of buying vegetable platters for like $10 buy some fresh veggies and cut them youreself.

Instead of buying individual serving snacks buy the big bulk ones and make yourself individual portins to bring to work, on the go, whatever.

So much extra costs are placed on items that are individually packaged or convenient in some way. Doing these small things yourself will save you money that adds up very quickly as your probably spending a ton of these small conveniences if you buy them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 03:06 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,809,255 times
You unintentionally make a point that the best way to be frugal is to be raised that way. Teachig your kids to live within their means and be adaptable is one of the best things a parent can give their child.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:30 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,676,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
I remember as a kid I always wanted frosted mini wheats but my mom always bought the big frosted wheats and told me to break them into mini wheats myself, miniwheats were $1 more a box...lol.

I think this type of thing is one of the easiest to do for those just starting out trying to be frugal.

Instead of buying vegetable platters for like $10 buy some fresh veggies and cut them youreself.

Instead of buying individual serving snacks buy the big bulk ones and make yourself individual portins to bring to work, on the go, whatever.

So much extra costs are placed on items that are individually packaged or convenient in some way. Doing these small things yourself will save you money that adds up very quickly as your probably spending a ton of these small conveniences if you buy them.
The more you do for yourself the less it costs to live.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:54 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,700,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
The more you do for yourself the less it costs to live.
Well that depends. Sometimes the cost for extra convenience is worth it - it depends on how valuable you consider your time to be.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:30 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,676,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Well that depends. Sometimes the cost for extra convenience is worth it - it depends on how valuable you consider your time to be.
There is no solid debate to say that DIY is about "convenience". Lazy has a price from a pure frugal point of view!

Old 03-03-2011, 06:40 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,216,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
There is no solid debate to say that DIY is about "convenience". Lazy has a price from a pure frugal point of view!
There comes a point when time trumps monetary frugality.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:48 AM

168 posts, read 307,909 times
^ i have to agree. im not going to spend an 8 hour day working on something to save $10. i can accomplish a lot more in 8 hours by giving up the 10.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:33 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,370,460 times
The cost for convenience can be worth it, but I think it's all too easy to trick ourselves into thinking about how much cash or time is actually involved.

There is a limit to the amount of money that we are going to earn in our lifetimes. Every dollar we spend is money that we won't have for other things. It might "only" cost a dollar or two to buy in bulk and package the good ourselves, but that dollar could be worth $5 when it comes time to pay for college or to retire.

Save a dollar a day and in 20 years you could have $25000 more in savings than you'd have otherwise. Paying someone else to make your coffee for you can cost you $50,000 at retirement. Frugality isn't about saving a few pennies today, but about saving tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands over your lifetime.

Compound interest is a powerful thing, but we tend to forget about compound loss.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:17 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,296,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccornewell View Post
^ i have to agree. im not going to spend an 8 hour day working on something to save $10. i can accomplish a lot more in 8 hours by giving up the 10.
I agree.

I'd rather pop into a 7-11 to grab a 2-Liter bottle of Pepsi, or even a loaf of bread, just to get it done quicker. I "buy" more time.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
If you are not competent, a DIY job attempting to repair something can destroy it completely, which will cost more than if you had paid to have the repair done properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living