Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 09:41 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
You "feel" and "supposed to" etc... So you' HAVNT DONE what you keep advocating... Unlike the savers who DO.

Ok then, just clarifying!!!
No, I did what I brought up here. And because of it I feel it is the way to go. This is always the way I have felt. This is just the first time that I saw an article about it from a reliable source.

I have already accomplished what I advocate and I'm glad I did. I skipped out of leaching a job off the economy and started several businesses (a consulting firm, recruiting firm, and 2 franchise preschools). That was just my way of doing it, but there are other ways.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still frugal... but selectively. I no longer have premium cable, scrapped the POTS and went with VOIP, and even stopped the house cleaning service. I even eat at home everyday, except when I have business dinners. But that only saved me so much. Bringing in more income is what really gave me freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 12:57 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
You enjoy working just like the alcoholic enjoys drinking and the smoker enjoys smoking.
Someone is a workoholic if they enjoy what they do?! Are you seriously trying to equate enjoying what you do for a living with being an alcoholic?

Totally crazy....

Old 05-05-2011, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
And it's your "further" where you fall on your face.
You may believe that. But my point was that your two examples, contrary to your suggestion, do not refute my claims. Your claim was just logically fallacious....

Old 05-05-2011, 05:48 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Someone is a workoholic if they enjoy what they do?! Are you seriously trying to equate enjoying what you do for a living with being an alcoholic?

Totally crazy....
That's not what he said. The "Workaholic" is defined as a person who feels drawn to working, even if it is work he doesn't like to do. Even creates work for himself, where none needs to be done. Quite different from a person who has the good luck to have a job in which the work is pleasurable.

Almost every job I've ever had, I thought the work pleasurable and for the most part, enjoyed what I did, but I am in no sense a workaholic, and I worked as little as possible.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That's not what he said. The "Workaholic" is defined as a person who feels drawn to working, even if it is work he doesn't like to do.
Of course that is what he said, he is responding to me and I stated that I get up and go to my office because I enjoy it and would do the same thing if I gained $100 million tomorrow.

He is implying that if someone enjoys what they do for a living they are a workoholic and that is of course ridiculous. Obviously, the poster doesn't know what it is like to gain monetary from something you happen to enjoy as well.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:10 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Someone is a workoholic if they enjoy what they do?! Are you seriously trying to equate enjoying what you do for a living with being an alcoholic?.
My father enjoyed his work so much, he worked 7 days a week, leaving us kids "father-less" and my mother "husband-less".

Children of alcoholic parents oftentimes leave them predisposed to alcoholism.
Children of workaholic parents can leave them with the same predisposition.

It's a terrible disease that can be inherited.

My brother works 6 days a week, 12 hours a day, loves every minute of his job, but he at least takes Sunday's off.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
My father enjoyed his work so much, he worked 7 days a week, leaving us kids "father-less" and my mother "husband-less".
Oh yeah? Perhaps that is something you should talk to your father about.

But, I ask again, are you seriously suggesting that if someone enjoys what they do for a living then they are a workaholic? I said nothing about the amount of hours I work, just that I enjoyed my work.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
My father was the same way until he retired. Fortunately he retired at 40 and had time to make up for what he/we missed.

Anyways, I'd like to get this thread back on how higher income may be more effective than savings dollars here and there.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:59 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Frugality is something that a family can do together. Going to school nights or working lots of extra hours to increase your wage grade is not. That alone ought to convince anyone who actually cares that much about their family, instead of just saying they do.

Of course, this tactic will not work if your children have been raised to believe the how much their parents care about them is measured by how much their parents ring up on their credit card for them.

On this earth, you only get one career, and you only get one family. Which will you dedicate your life to?

Old 05-06-2011, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Frugality is something that a family can do together. Going to school nights or working lots of extra hours to increase your wage grade is not. That alone ought to convince anyone who actually cares that much about their family, instead of just saying they do.

Of course, this tactic will not work if your children have been raised to believe the how much their parents care about them is measured by how much their parents ring up on their credit card for them.

On this earth, you only get one career, and you only get one family. Which will you dedicate your life to?
The beauty of it that it's a choice. Some may choose frugality, others may choose to earn more. It's just something to think about.

Why can't you have more than one career? I believe you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living