Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2011, 06:28 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney_rubble View Post
This is the only justification I've seen for the idea that frugality and increased income are mutually exclusive. And it makes very little sense. Are you seriously arguing that low-income people aren't earning more because they are devoting every ounce of their concentration to cutting coupons?
There's several reasons why low-income people cannot break out of into high income. These include disabilities, communication/language issues, etc. But many can move up if they got in the right mindset and created a path for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 08:38 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barney_rubble View Post
This is the only justification I've seen for the idea that frugality and increased income are mutually exclusive. And it makes very little sense. Are you seriously arguing that low-income people aren't earning more because they are devoting every ounce of their concentration to cutting coupons?
No, my comment is not about time, but rather psychology. The frugality mindset tends produce a sort of sort of defeatist view towards the sorts of things that tend to increase ones income. In terms of time alone, the question is whether one's time is better spent cutting coupons, etc than making more money.

Honestly, a lot of the frugality stuff doesn't even save much money, its really more about a way of thinking. I was raised in such an environment and slowly I had to shed myself from it.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Why? So they can be just like you, and value exactly the same things in life that you do? And you're not bragging?
I don't expect people to value the same things as me, but why would someone want to make less money for the same hours worked?

And right, I'm not bragging. I don't say much about myself here.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:08 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
You are incorrect. This thing has hit across all strata. That chart you showed me looks like it came from a college promoting the value of higher education.

FWIW, I have an MBA. I also am over 50. I spend plenty of time on forums with those who are unemployed and, trust me, these people are not lower skilled. Many are having to dumb down their resumes to look lower skilled though.
I have college degree and 30 years work experience. Isn't helping at all.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:15 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
What statistical sample demonstrates that people can penny-pinch their way to riches? If you are referring to that noxious book, namely the millionaire next door, that doesn't provide examples of penny-pinching their way to riches. The majority of millionaires in that book are business owners.

As I said, you can't become rich by spending everything you make, but you also can't become rich by merely being frugal. That is, spending below your means is a necessary condition to becoming wealthy, but not a sufficient condition.

Degrees don't guarantee anything...
You quoted a source, and denied a reality.

As to the degree, no, but a good GPA, former related career, extracurricular activities, good reviews from internships, WAY more than normal certifications, good recommendations etc...

We shall see, but I'm not worried.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:23 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
No, my comment is not about time, but rather psychology. The frugality mindset tends produce a sort of sort of defeatist view towards the sorts of things that tend to increase ones income. In terms of time alone, the question is whether one's time is better spent cutting coupons, etc than making more money.

Honestly, a lot of the frugality stuff doesn't even save much money, its really more about a way of thinking. I was raised in such an environment and slowly I had to shed myself from it.
I only know 2 multimillionaires
(ill define this as over 2 mil not counting the primary residence. A couple others about to retire might be on the cusp, but counting the house)

BOTH are VERY frugal.

One a retired fire fighter, the other retired merchant marine

Anticdotal, but enough to say your wrong...

Old 05-03-2011, 09:45 PM

326 posts, read 871,861 times
Quote:

Cites? I'm not seeing the link between frugal thinking and eternal poverty.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
BOTH are VERY frugal.

One a retired fire fighter, the other retired merchant marine

Anticdotal, but enough to say your wrong...
I suppose if you're not familiar with elementary logic? I'm claiming that frugality doesn't lead to wealth, that is, its not a sufficient condition for becoming wealthy. Actually, I went further, I suggested its a fetter to achieving serious wealth. But never did I suggest that frugality and wealth are some how logically mutual exclusive, hence pointing out a few examples of people that are both frugal and wealthy doesn't refute anything I've said.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:52 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Here's the best argument I've ever heard in favor of frugality.

NASA spent a million dollars developing a ball point pen that would work in zero-gravity. The Russian cosmonauts just used pencils.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:24 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
I will get up tomorrow morning (as I did yesterday too, had something I wanted get done) and drive 10 minutes to my office because I enjoy it, if someone dropped $100 million in my bank tonight I'd still get up tomorrow morning and go to my office. If I wanted to take the day off and enjoy the beautiful day, I could. Of course, I really don't have to worry about missing a beautiful spring day because there will be another one tomorrow, the next day, etc.

I'm not in any sense jealous of your lifestyle, not to mention that I could "retire" today with a higher standard of living than you despite being much younger.
Workaholics and alcoholics wear the same clothes, same habits, same excuses.

A workaholic can no more easily quit working than an alcoholic can easily quit drinking or a smoker easily quit smoking.

You enjoy working just like the alcoholic enjoys drinking and the smoker enjoys smoking.

I'm not sure if there's a Workaholic Anonymous group near you, based on the tenets of AA, but you might want to check into it before it's too late: your health one day dictates no more working.

Anyone ever try living with a recuperating or "retired" workaholic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living