Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 09:15 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times

Advertisements

Five or six. We are retired now and we stop at the store that is nearest to what we may be doing that day. My husband is particular about bananas and he has found one store that has better bananas than other stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 11:28 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times
I shopped sales for cheapest at each location for 3 months and checked the actual cost against the stores I like for the same time. There wasn't much of a difference. Why? You waste time and gas chasing "loss leaders" (big sales)-- plus, you go in and wind up buying more.

So, I use the little supermarket in town for veggies and canned goods and cheeses and dairy -- then go to the big supermarket for the rest of the list ( they are 2 blocks apart)like meats ( they have a butcher in the store), paper and other items . If I really want "fancy" things, I will go to another store a different week ( like terrific rice when on sale)... that and the small family pharmacy we use, that is about it. I try to stay in a 8 mile radius of stores... we are over 5 miles from the stores. I won't go from one to the other over more than 3 add'l miles.)

Old 01-29-2011, 06:56 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
I find that visiting multiple stores increases my purchases and food waste, so I shop at one standard supermarket for everything except dairy, which is delivered to my door once a week.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:00 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense01
There is a trade-off between saving money and saving time, so I am curious as to how many stores you regularly buy food at and how often you visit them.
Probably 3 or 4 regular ones in my area....... I dont buy much........ I guess Mostly from Aldi's these days......

Old 09-25-2015, 12:09 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,236,413 times
I'm pretty spoiled here in southern California. I primarily shop at Sprouts, Vons, & Trader Joe's (there are several in 5 mile radius from me). I'll go to H-Mart (Korean supermarket) once a month, Whole Foods (twice a year), and a few local grocers once in blue moon. I generally buy food at a good sale price and will adjust my healthy diet accordingly.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:53 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,003,187 times
Only Publix.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:16 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
OMG people.... STOP ending sentences and questions with the word "AT!!!"
It makes you come off as uneducated.
Sorry and no offense meant. It's a pet peeve of mine.

Old 09-26-2015, 04:19 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Smith's weekly. For convenience because it's closest to my home.
99cents Only Store, once a month.
Costco once a month.
One of the Hispanic grocery stores, once a month.
Zaycon Foods, twice a year.

I was at the Hispanic grocery last night. One day sale on boneless, skinless chicken thighs for .99 per pound!

Old 09-26-2015, 08:26 PM

334 posts, read 537,790 times
The commissary once a month.
Giant Eagle twice a month. I pick up my prescriptions there and a few food items.
Whole Foods for takeout about 3 times a month.
Costco once every 3 months.
Online Walmart, Jet and Amazon. Once a month I shop at one of these.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:26 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
We have several supermarkets from national to regional chains, from the Super Target and mega Walmarts, to Costco and Sams Clubs.

I shop at Kroger for most everyday food items. Pretty much my shopping list is usually all scratched off after a Kroger run. Although their prices may not be the lowest, they have been good to me. I like their people; I know the store's layout; they have what I;m looking for; they have a pharmacy and gas station. Overall, I may spend more on some items, but the loyalty discounts and coupon they send kinda makes it pretty even versus running around to other stores just top shop their coupons for a few items. I shop Kroger every 7 -14 days depending.

I shop Costco for some bulk goods like TP, dog food, coffee beans, their liquor selection and just to run the aisles to see what new and interesting product they have. I tried Sams but it just seemed like a lower quality selection and their stores/staff just appeared cheap. I don't buy much everyday food products as the containers are just to big and I like variety so it can take a couple months just to go through the items I would buy. I know it cost a bit more to buy smaller amount at Kroger, but I don't find myself being forced to consume something because I have 200 lbs still left over. I make a monthly run but will go if I need or want something.

I do shop the specialty stores like the fish and meat market for something unique or special. I go to the local bakery when I want something special. I do visit the farmers market when items I like are in season. I shop these store when I feel like it.

I consider my time too valuable and I have many other productive things to do (plus I make enough not to worry about it) that saving a few pennies clipping coupons and wasting gas running to several stores just isn't for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living