Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2011, 08:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,403 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to relocate to the Fort Worth area for a new job. My husband and I are in our mid 20's and looking to start a family in the next 5 years. We want to live in a great, safe*, and family-friendly neighborhood and surrounding area. We are not looking to spend more than $300,000 and would be okay with a more established home. We want to be near great dining and shopping areas but are not looking to live in a neighborhood that has track homes where every house is 1 of 5 floor plans. We would also love to live on a lot that isn't right on top of the other but less than 2 acres.

We have never even visited Texas so any and all help or advice on where to live and where to avoid would be great! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 09:46 PM

211 posts, read 495,425 times
In your price range you could get a nice home in the TCU/Tanglewood area. Look online at zip code 76109 and see what you get. Great public schools (for elementary), close to parks, zoo, Colonial Country Club, shopping, restaurants. This is inner-city Fort Worth. It's where all the long-time residents live...this is not suburbia. I highly recommend it. I raised my kids in this area. Life-long friends...and now my kids are marrying and living here and raising their kids. That's the way it is here.

(you can also look at 76107 and 76116 for the same type homes and neighborhoods, but the public schools aren't quite as good...those families go to independent schools for the most part).

Old 12-23-2011, 03:09 PM

165 posts, read 396,951 times
I agree with LuvsFW... the choices are almost endless. If you could describe in a little more detail what you would consider to be the ideal home and neighborhood perhaps additional useful suggestions could be forthcoming. "Great, safe, and family-friendly" fits many Fort Worth neighborhoods. As for houses, any particular styles you like best such as turn-of-the-last century Foursquares,(as in the Fairmount Historic District neighborhood on the Southside) Bungalows, (Tudors, Craftsmans, etc.) or Mid-Century Moderns from the 1950's or ??? Only Victorian era homes are truly scarce in Fort Worth but even they can be found in some of the smaller surrounding communities. (Weatherford, Waxahachie) It might be beneficial, since you are not familiar with the area, to consider renting on a month-to-month basis in the beginning until you have a better understanding about the locale and can make the ideal choice. Nothing we could tell you about any given neighborhood would be the same as for you seeing it yourself. Housing values are great locally right now and your suggested price range offers lots of possibilities and options. You would certainly want to get the job situation nailed down first so that you don't end up with long commutes from home to work and back. Best wishes and Happy Holidays!

Old 12-25-2011, 12:51 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,917,976 times
note that the lot size is under two acres--that makes me think they want a larger than suburban size--
like half acre to acre--
you won't find that in your price range unless you go outside FTW city limits--the country--
so you need to decide if you can live with smaller lot to be closer to restaurants/shopping/amenities
cause you might have trouble finding them outside FTW proper

Old 12-25-2011, 01:35 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,231,946 times
$300K in any major city in TX will get you a very nice home in a very nice hood. Welcome to Texas, and in your case, Ft. Worth!

Old 12-25-2011, 10:00 AM

11,862 posts, read 26,903,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
note that the lot size is under two acres--that makes me think they want a larger than suburban size--
like half acre to acre--
you won't find that in your price range unless you go outside FTW city limits--the country--
so you need to decide if you can live with smaller lot to be closer to restaurants/shopping/amenities
cause you might have trouble finding them outside FTW proper

VERY true here. TX is not like other parts of the country where large lots are the norm. You need to decide if you can put up with a smaller lot in town, or if you are willing to make a longer commute from a rural area with larger lots. Also, TX has high property taxes, so unless you are raising some livestock on that 2 acre lot (and getting the ag exemption), your taxes are going to be high. If you can live with the smaller lot, then there are MANY places to choose from. Where will work be located?

Old 01-04-2012, 01:48 PM

3 posts, read 4,697 times
Default Look in N. Tarrant or Wise County

I live in a little pocket of unincorporated Tarrant County, just north of Saginaw. We have a three bedroom house on an acre and no city taxes. Houses in my neighborhood are usually $200-250,000. There are several neighborhoods this direction (for example, along bus 287 heading toward Wise County, or along Bonds Ranch Rd between 287 and I-35) that fit your description. I would say you'd find plenty in the 3-4 bedroom, 2-3000 sq ft, 1-2 acres category. Most would be in either Eagle Mountain Saginaw or Northwest ISDs, both of which are wonderful and well-respected. The commute to downtown FW would be about 20-30 minutes, to the airport about 45-50 minutes and to Lockheed/White Settlement about 25-35 minutes.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:17 PM

14 posts, read 34,346 times
Default Also coming to Ft. Worth - request recommendations for neighborhoods

Hello all -

I am about to move to Ft. Worth within the next month or so. I am coming from Midland ... I haven't been here long, I am a Houston native. I was anxious to get out of Houston and now I'm anxious to leave Midland. A job in downtown Ft. Worth came my way so I'm taking the opportunity. I've heard nothing but good things about the city but haven't spent any time in that area, only a few days here and there on business.

I am single in my early 40s. I want a 2-story 3 to 4-bedroom house for about $200,000 preferably with on a decent size to large lot or with some land around it (I have three dogs). I am a part-time musician so that's why I'd like a bit of space between me and my neighbors. Wouldn't want to upset anyone with rehearsals late into the night. I need the extra bedrooms for when my kids (in college) come to visit or if any friends or relatives from Houston stop by.

I would ideally like to be too not far from water where I can do some fishing. Here in Midland the nearest fishing is a 4 hour drive.

I don't mind commuting into downtown for work if I can get a place no more than 30 minutes away. I don't want a ridiculous commute like I had in Houston (but I'll do it if I have to).

I don't know anything about any particular parts of town or any neighborhoods in and around Ft. Worth. The only thing anyone has told me so far is that the far west side off the interstate might be an area to consider. I guess I would like to move into something not too old because I'm not the greatest at renovations and would like something fairly new-ish and/or move-in ready.

Any and all recommendations are welcome. I appreciate these posts and the information that everyone gives, it is all very valuable. Thanks everyone -

atk305

Old 01-07-2012, 09:15 PM

14 posts, read 34,346 times
I've been searching on the internet for days Moderator cut: only realtor.com can be cited and I think, based on the style of housing that I like, I am going to focus my house search in the Marine Creek Meadows area. If anyone has any information or advice on this or the immediate surrounding areas please let me know. It will be about 3-4 weeks before I'm able to visit there in person. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-08-2012 at 09:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth