Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 04:15 PM

917 posts, read 2,615,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
We, of course, would attempt to follow the rules. If we have to stay for 6+ months, we will do so. But how would they really know?
Seems that they come out and check. Here's an older post of mine:https://www.city-data.com/forum/11149545-post19.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 04:44 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,544,694 times
This was surprising, since NJ is supposed to have the highest car insurance rates…..

We are with Geico and still carry our youngest daughter, which will change this April. For 6 months the rates are $1255 for NJ (what we are paying now), $1,400 for Naples Florida and $964 for Murrells Inlet SC. Must be all the old geezers (present company excused) and lawyers in Florida…….

Old 01-19-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
Seems that they come out and check. Here's an older post of mine:https://www.city-data.com/forum/11149545-post19.html
I am guessing that SC has similar resendency rules (6 months and a day). Let say they do and we choose to live half the year in SC and half the year in FL. Do we have no resendency??

Old 01-19-2010, 04:52 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default We were told by GEICO,

Quote:
This was surprising, since NJ is supposed to have the highest car insurance rates…..

We are with Geico and still carry our youngest daughter, which will change this April. For 6 months the rates are $1255 for NJ (what we are paying now), $1,400 for Naples Florida and $964 for Murrells Inlet SC. Must be all the old geezers (present company excused) and lawyers in Florida…….
which we had for 20 years up North, that the rates are more expensive in Florida because of uninsured drivers, older drivers having accidents, and no state inspections for cars, athough it can and does vary from area to area in the same state.

We went with a different company, but it is still more expensive than it was in NY; even WITHOUT an under 25 year old driver on our policy.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:06 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
I am guessing that SC has similar resendency rules (6 months and a day). Let say they do and we choose to live half the year in SC and half the year in FL. Do we have no resendency??
I can't say what the rules are in SC, but in Florida in order to be a legal resident (and claim a homestead exemption and qualify for Save Our homes) you need to live in Florida 183 or more days a year.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:35 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
I've worked/lived in 2 different states. The money was taxed on where it was earned, not where I lived. Other taxes like property tax was paid in the state where I lived. I think each state is different. Many people live in NH & work in MA and a lot of people live in SC and work in Charlotte NC. So you might want to go to those forums and ask about taxes. I'm sure there are thousands of people who live in one state and earn income in another.

Regarding Florida Homestead, once you establish residence, I suggest you register to vote in your district. Then get your vehicle registration and driver's license changed. You asked "How would they know?" I'm not sure Florida has the manpower, but I'm guessing one easy way to know is by checking your utility bills. When you get a new license now, you need to show proof of residence and a social security card.

You might also want to check your insurance premiums before you change your primary residence. I don't know your age, but often health insurance is much higher in Florida. If you're covered by your former employer's group plan, it shouldn't matter.

Yikes! I just checked and Collier County only charges a 4% tax on rentals under 6 months? I paid 11% in Vero Beach. Sales tax in Vero and here in Port Charlotte is 7%.

Again, most of the time government agencies don't have the manpower, which is why there is so much fraud, but don't believe that anything you do is private. When you go to a hospital, for example, the records show you were in that city/state at that time. It isn't private information. If you use credit cards, your purchases can be tracked. Right now if you're online and the FBI wants to find you, your ISP can be located. Ut oh, here they come!

Old 01-21-2010, 02:55 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Well, my husband lived and worked in Florida for 3 years. He claimed NYS residency and PAID NYS taxes.

During that time, I lived and worked in NYS. Our daughter went to college in NYS and lived with me. My husband claimed head of household there and his name was on the lease of the house we rented. We were not divorced or legally separated. I suppose if you are willing to pay your taxes to that state, they don't care what state you claim as your residence.

Incidentially, my older daughter lived with us for 4 months in Florida. She had a job here. She got a Florida llicense, insured her car here. Then she moved back to NY, sold the car, moved in with friends, got a job, and never changed her license because she didn't own a car. As far as Florida is concerned, at the insurance company, she still lives here. However, when it comes time to file taxes, she will file them in the state where she is living and working; although she had not changed her llicense, or own or rent property in the state she now lives in.

One size does not fit all and there are exeptions to every "general" rule.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:14 PM

I am thinking that the choice between FL and SC residency is a wash. You get big property tax breaks for being a SC resident. I am 60 and the taxes on my pension will get lower as I get older. Plus the fact that car insurance is lower in SC. The deciding factor, though, is I do believe we will sleep in SC more than FL (more than half the year in SC).

Old 01-26-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Well, my husband lived and worked in Florida for 3 years. He claimed NYS residency and PAID NYS taxes.
Which is why I wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I think each state is different.

According to Turbo Tax:

[URL]http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/kb/state-taxes/multi-state/1945.html[/URL]

"You'll need to file a nonresident state return if you earned wages or income while working in a state that you are not a resident of..."

"For example, if you live in Kansas but work in neighboring Missouri, you would file a nonresident Missouri return in addition to your usual Kansas return. You'd then take a credit for any taxes you paid to Missouri on your Kansas return."
[URL="https://www.city-data.com/forum/massachusetts/66101-working-nh-living-ma.html"]
[/URL]

Last edited by justNancy; 01-26-2010 at 11:47 PM..

Old 01-26-2010, 11:41 PM

Turbo Tax is a very reliable source, but here's what H & R Block says:

[URL="http://www.hrblock.com/taxes/tax_tips/tax_planning/state_tax_info.html"]Tax - State & Local Tax - H&R Block[/URL]

"Most states require you to pay personal income tax. Each state has different tax laws. If you live in one state and work in another, you may have to file a state return in both states."

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
Seems that they come out and check. Here's an older post of mine:[URL]https://www.city-data.com/forum/11149545-post19.html[/URL]
Very interesting, Tommy.

Last edited by justNancy; 01-27-2010 at 12:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area