Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 12:43 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
It is my understanding that you must live in Florida 6 months and one day per year to be a resident. I may be wrong, but that is what I thought.

Frank
That is correct.

And for the OP--don't try to play games with them as far as "where you sleep." There is recent case where someone did have to prove that they actually spent six months and one day in Florida to not have to pay income taxes in another state--and FLorida would be more than happy to take your homestead away if they think there is funny business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 01:08 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,544,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
That is correct.

And for the OP--don't try to play games with them as far as "where you sleep." There is recent case where someone did have to prove that they actually spent six months and one day in Florida to not have to pay income taxes in another state--and FLorida would be more than happy to take your homestead away if they think there is funny business.
We, of course, would attempt to follow the rules. If we have to stay for 6+ months, we will do so. But how would they really know?

Old 01-19-2010, 01:12 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
We, of course, would attempt to follow the rules. If we have to stay for 6+ months, we will do so. But how would they really know?
Your neighbors will narc on you.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Well, to begin with, it's quite possible that you'll have to pay taxes on any income for the days you spend in SC. That in itself can open a can of worms.

My husband spends about half his time in NJ and has to keep track of how much he's there versus here at home. He has to divide his income by 365 then multiply by the number of days he was in NJ and pay taxes on that figure.

Paying taxes is far better than going to prison for tax fraud.

And it's more expensive to register a car in Florida than NJ, FYI.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:49 PM

Yes but our only income is my pension check. And since NJ and SC would tax my retirement income, FL seems like a better option.

I see many, many vehicles in NJ with Florida tags. I know that the majority of those vehicles are people who still have homes in NJ (snow birds).

It can't be that much more for registration??

Old 01-19-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Yes but our only income is my pension check. And since NJ and SC would tax my retirement income, FL seems like a better option.

I see many, many vehicles in NJ with Florida tags. I know that the majority of those vehicles are people who still have homes in NJ (snow birds).

It can't be that much more for registration??
The initial registration and taxes can be over $400. After taht it's abotu $80 a year. And one of those cars driving around NJ with FL tags is my husband. He's legally a Florida resident, and spends about half his time at the NJ office of his employer. We no longer own property in NJ.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:28 PM

Hopefully we will soon ditch our Central NJ home and it will be a question of SC or FL.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:38 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
My husband claimed NY residency while living and working in Florida for 3 years. I lived in NY during that time while my daughter was going to a NYS college and all of us claimed residency for her college tuition. My husband's name was on the lease of the house we rented also.

I think they only recently changed the law in Florida. My husband got a TEMPORARY Florida drivers license and kept his NYS license for 3 years. When I moved to Florida, I did not get a drivers license or claim residency for over 3 months. I waited until my out of state insurance was lapsing. I did not own or rent property in Florida, and did not have a Florida job. They had no idea I was even here. That also happened back in 1971 too when I lived here for 6 months. I did not drive, did not have a job, nor own or rent an apartment. I came and went without anyone knowing about it.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I think they only recently changed the law in Florida. My husband got a TEMPORARY Florida drivers license and kept his NYS license for 3 years. When I moved to Florida, I did not get a drivers license or claim residency for over 3 months. I waited until my out of state insurance was lapsing. I did not own or rent property in Florida, and did not have a Florida job. They had no idea I was even here. That also happened back in 1971 too when I lived here for 6 months. I did not drive, did not have a job, nor own or rent an apartment. I came and went without anyone knowing about it.
They no longer give temporary or "Florida only" licenses.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:55 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
I suppose that is probably why so many of the snowbirds here have their out of state plates now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area