Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2007, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 11,992 times

Advertisements

I have been accepted into graduate school at FGCU in Fort Myers, FL. I wanted to get input on specific areas in and around Fort Myers to move. My fiance (will be husband by then) are moving in August and we want to rent a house. We can afford about $900-$1000 a month for rent and utilities. We will be living in the area for at least 2 years and would like to stay in the same place for those 2 years instead of moving from one place to another.

I have read several posts on this site about fort myers and cape coral. I've also looked online about crime statistics in both those cities. It seems that fort myers has a much higher crime rate than cape coral and the crime in fort myers is well above the national average. Living in NH all my life, I'm used to low crime areas and having a crime rate well below the national average. I'm not saying I don't lock my doors because I do but I'm not afraid to walk alone at night in most areas and feel generally safe anywhere in the state.

I'm looking specifically for information on where to live in fort myers or cape coral (or maybe another surrounding town). I would like to get information on specific streets or groups of streets that are good places to live. Or a general area (i.e. the area near this school is great and safe or you should avoid the area near this library) that might be safe to live. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you know of good websites to look for rentals then please let me know.

I don't really need to hear that fort myers is a horrible place to live and that I should live somewhere in florida. We are moving to fort myers because I will be going to graduate school there. I have no choice about moving to the area. The school is great and I'm looking forward to going to school there and getting my master's degree. My fiance is an auto technician and is looking forward to working in florida and to scuba diving a lot. I just need some input on the best areas of the city to live so I can make a good decision and am not stuck in a lease in a bad part of the city.

Thank you for any information you can give me. I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 10:31 AM

937 posts, read 2,890,091 times
Default Try to stay near FGCU

The area surrounding the college is very very nice. My daughter's boyfriend attends FGCU. He was staying on campus but is now staying in Punta Gorda which is a bit of a drive to Ft. Myers. It's expensive near the college though.
Cape Coral has some nice areas also. Your best bet would be near the college though.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:53 AM

246 posts, read 1,019,249 times
I agree that over by the college is your best bet. Nice area. Cape is good also but it would be a trip everyday. They even have some nice apt dorms there that you may want to check. Don't know the pricing tho.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:01 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,060,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHtoFLgrad View Post
I have been accepted into graduate school at FGCU in Fort Myers, FL. I wanted to get input on specific areas in and around Fort Myers to move. My fiance (will be husband by then) are moving in August and we want to rent a house. We can afford about $900-$1000 a month for rent and utilities. We will be living in the area for at least 2 years and would like to stay in the same place for those 2 years instead of moving from one place to another.

I have read several posts on this site about fort myers and cape coral. I've also looked online about crime statistics in both those cities. It seems that fort myers has a much higher crime rate than cape coral and the crime in fort myers is well above the national average. Living in NH all my life, I'm used to low crime areas and having a crime rate well below the national average. I'm not saying I don't lock my doors because I do but I'm not afraid to walk alone at night in most areas and feel generally safe anywhere in the state.

I'm looking specifically for information on where to live in fort myers or cape coral (or maybe another surrounding town). I would like to get information on specific streets or groups of streets that are good places to live. Or a general area (i.e. the area near this school is great and safe or you should avoid the area near this library) that might be safe to live. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you know of good websites to look for rentals then please let me know.

I don't really need to hear that fort myers is a horrible place to live and that I should live somewhere in florida. We are moving to fort myers because I will be going to graduate school there. I have no choice about moving to the area. The school is great and I'm looking forward to going to school there and getting my master's degree. My fiance is an auto technician and is looking forward to working in florida and to scuba diving a lot. I just need some input on the best areas of the city to live so I can make a good decision and am not stuck in a lease in a bad part of the city.

Thank you for any information you can give me. I really appreciate it.
try to get -online- local newspaper(s) and check out classified ads. in some cases rentals are better from individuals than appartment complexes. Also, find a broker, since you are looking for a 2 year-lease, to help you find your rental.
Best of luck.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:33 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
San Carlos Park and Estero will be your best bets. Check realtor dot com. You can look at the local MLS and will find tons of rentals, since there are a glut of homes on the market. You should get a good deal. That area is very decent. I use to live there.

Also, check with FGCU. They will probably know about rentals in the area. There is a complex on Three Oaks Parkway that rents exclusively to students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area