Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2014, 04:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,036 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will moving to the area this summer for a job at FGCU. We are 29 & 33 with no kids. Not very outdoorsy and generally beach avoiders. Don't drink or watch any sports. In other words, big nerds I like movies and try to go weekly; he's really into strategy board games.

That was random background. Now a few questions I'd love some help with:

I've read through old threads and figured out some definite places to avoid (Westwood and westchase = bad. Is Leighacres ghetto? = highly divisive issue) but I'm not sure where might be good near the college. Our price range is $900 and under, one bedroom is plenty, don't care about pool or beach vicinity. Palms of Monterrey looks okay, so does Parkcrest but seem faaar from FGCU. There is a place called Portofino Cove that seems pretty and, while not close, at least near a freeway but I can't find any reviews of it anywhere which seems like a giant red flag. Any help with these places or alternate suggestions? There don't really seem to be apartments in Estero itself besides one kinda sketchy looking place?

As for the area itself, excluding bars and beaches, where do people between the age of retiree and undergrad hang out? And here in my part of CA there is a huge geek culture (various conventions, trivia events, trash film festivals, doctor who watching parties, etc, etc), any similar things in Ft. Myers?

Finally, my husband is pretty tame in appearance but I have gauges (and 12 other ear piercings but no facials), tattoos (coverable), and magenta streaks in my hair. Nothing that really attracts a lot of attention where I am now and I actually have a mid level government job in education administration. Is Ft Myers/surrounding area conservative enough that I'll need to dial it back for job interviews? It's not my preference obvsly but it's not a big deal to change if absolutely necessary. I'm just having trouble factoring in both student life and a large 60+ community in a cohesive picture.

Thank you so much for any help you can offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area