Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 06:02 AM

23 posts, read 75,842 times

Advertisements

Been looking quite abit at property in these communities, moving down within next six months, two adults late forties no kids and looking for single story either attached villa or single family no more than $250k.
(need 2 car garage) don't mind gated as long as fees are reasonable $250 or less month. We liked Bella Terra, Reserve at Estero and Village Walk of Bonita, Looking for safe area does not have to be gated but would like an area where people take care of their property, I am a good neighbor to have and want the same in return. We don't have gated communities in Ma. because there not needed.
Any info would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 09:48 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,323,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb3 View Post
Been looking quite abit at property in these communities, moving down within next six months, two adults late forties no kids and looking for single story either attached villa or single family no more than $250k.
(need 2 car garage) don't mind gated as long as fees are reasonable $250 or less month. We liked Bella Terra, Reserve at Estero and Village Walk of Bonita, Looking for safe area does not have to be gated but would like an area where people take care of their property, I am a good neighbor to have and want the same in return. We don't have gated communities in Ma. because there not needed.
Any info would help.
Hi, Joe. I'm from MA, too. I was born and raised, lived there for 32 years, ten as a reporter. Gated communities are not needed in swFlorida, either, but became in vogue for some reason at about the time that a housing boom was on so there are a lot of them. Either way, you'll be fine. Take a trip down and you can see first hand. Best of luck to you!

Old 03-20-2011, 11:24 AM

Thank you for your reply, I have seen with a realtor alot of gated places in Naples and Estero, Bonita, S. Ft. Myers. People post and I know first hand you should see a neighborhood at different times and days, but it is impossible to see these places with out a realtor, I'd like to drive by on a sunday or saturday to see how quiet it is, maybe talk to the neighbors.

I was always against restrictions on how you should keep your property but living it first hand with a neighbor who would keep 7 cars on his lawn and move them to cut it then put them back plus alot of other crazy things I'm all for restrictions. (to a point).
Can you recomend any non gated areas where people do take care of their property, I know nothing is perfect and there is always one on every street that likes to stand out , but there is nothing worse than driving home and not looking in one direction on purpose.

Thanks again

Old 03-20-2011, 12:32 PM

You should have a Realtor that makes you feel comfortable enough to answer those questions. You also should always be able to talk to the neighbors. When I was an agent I strongly encouraged it.

So you've personally been to the area? And the neighbor with seven cars lived in MA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb3 View Post
Thank you for your reply, I have seen with a realtor alot of gated places in Naples and Estero, Bonita, S. Ft. Myers. People post and I know first hand you should see a neighborhood at different times and days, but it is impossible to see these places with out a realtor, I'd like to drive by on a sunday or saturday to see how quiet it is, maybe talk to the neighbors.

I was always against restrictions on how you should keep your property but living it first hand with a neighbor who would keep 7 cars on his lawn and move them to cut it then put them back plus alot of other crazy things I'm all for restrictions. (to a point).
Can you recomend any non gated areas where people do take care of their property, I know nothing is perfect and there is always one on every street that likes to stand out , but there is nothing worse than driving home and not looking in one direction on purpose.

Thanks again

Old 03-20-2011, 02:14 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,340,832 times
Cape Coral is not gated but has restrictions almost like it is. That keeps the neighborhoods nice.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Cape Coral is not gated but has restrictions almost like it is. That keeps the neighborhoods nice.
I still don't understand where we went from things being great the way they were to you have to have restrictions in order for property values to be maintained. I will never buy into that.

I've had many people show and prove to me why, I really have, but I've also seen it go the other way. I once looked at a house in a restricted neighborhood where the house next door was a complete eyesore. Whatever restrictions there were, I bet they broke every one and made some more up and broke those, too. Yes, the association was in a position to fix it, but obviously they were not having much success and the people trying to sell their home were absolutely screwed. So what good was all of that?

And then you can have the overly restricted places; the communities where all the mailboxes must look the same and be approved and the grass must be a certain length or there will be consequences.

Whatever happened to peer pressure and keeping up with the Joneses, so to speak?

I straddle a neighborhood of upscale 1950s ranches with large yards and an even more upscale neighborhood of stone houses and/or interesting architecture from the 60s on up. To top it all off, I am smack-dab in the middle of The Dreaded South. Oh, shudder! None of the homes are in disrepair with cars on blocks, visible trash cans, etc. Nothing is regulated. People just do the right thing and it is all tasteful, in fact more tasteful than the regulated communities which can become so "Stepford" that they border on gauche.

I went from sweet, central Massachusetts towns where people had taste to Florida's mentality of "we must be gated or anarchy will ensue." I always found the "communities" to be a bit tacky. I often wondered if that is a Midwest thing where people need rules to follow in order to have some semblance of taste. Perhaps there is an underlying assumption that if the rules were lifted the residents would go wild and fly an Elvis flag or something.

Did I just write that?

Old 03-20-2011, 03:05 PM

The neighbor with the cars was in Ma. or still is in Ma. have'nt spoke to each other for about 5 years and my windows face his house. cause of people like him I would consider gated, never thought I would.
Just take care of what you have, blend in it will only keep your value up.
We have great neighbors on occasion neighborhood cookouts minus the car man, (I respect privacy also) but I would get the old I feel sorry for you line from neighbors.

I'm just trying to avoid as best I can the same happening in Fl.
We are going to rent for a while first, have been down at least 4 times in last 2 years looking at developments, to many to choose from, never thought about CC read alot of somewhat negative things on here.

realy liked Estero.

Thanks

Old 03-20-2011, 03:25 PM

Notice that you said that MA doesn't need gated communities, at first, though. I think there is this mentality that it's The South down there and "those people" don't know how to behave. The truth is you can get a crazy neighbor no matter where you live, even in The Hamptons of Beverly Hills. It happens. But the truth is you can't regulate taste, people or people's taste. Everyone is for less rules and government until it personally affects them.

Oh, and southwest Florida is about as far removed from The South as it gets. It's more like Midwest South.

Anyway, my diatribe is not for or at you. I'm just ruminating.

I understand why people like gated communities and feel more comfortable in them, I just wonder how helpful they really are. I'm 49 and have never lived in one. And in an area of retirees - folks that can have too much time on their hands - it can become even scarier.

In the end you have the perfect solution. Rent. That's how you can find the perfect place, by renting and getting a feel of the land.

It's funny. I've been "talking" to a friend on Facebook this afternoon. He just moved into what he thought was the perfect apartment complex after living in this area for several years. It's been great for the first week until he tried to take a nap. The neighbor keeps banging on his door. He already wants to move.

Oh, and I love Estero and Cape Coral. It comes down to where you want to be, regarding location. Estero is great if you'd like to be in the middle of Fort Myers and Naples. It's not anywhere near water, though. Cape Coral is great if you have a boat, but is a ride to a beach, also. However, a major portion of Lee County is far from beaches, for the most part, anyway, unless you want to pay the price. Often, just before the FMB bridge is the best solution for beach goers.

Estero is excellent for snowbirds. The communities can become ghost towns out of season, though. I like CC for a year-round experience although there are a lot of snowbirds, too, especially now.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:58 PM

Midwest south? We looked in the Myrtle Beach area also nice communities nice beach, tourist town, actually liked towns north and south of Myrtle but rearly was one gated, just to cool in winter, figured we'd try FM area a lot warmer. We live 26 miles southwest of Boston off rt. 495 on a culdasac almost an acre with wetlands in my back yard, lots of deer and small animals, gary and barron trees like every winter here. (bad winter too) I don't want that much land in fl. to much grass to cut, but dam'n do they cramn houses together in those fl. communities.

9000 sq. ft. lot would be great, seen some in the waterways on immokolee rd in Naples, nice homes about 8 yrs old, gated but low hoas, ever here of it.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:49 PM

Lee County is full of Midwesterners and not Southerners. However, since the crash things seem to be changing and there are more Northeasterners there. It almost makes me want to move back.

I'm from south Central Mass, near the CT line. I worked for the Worcester Telegram for many years. Yes, Mass had a bad winter but when I talk to my mother who is now 76 she insists that every winter has been mild since I left. I couldn't drag her out of New England for anything. I've tried.

I lived in Bonita Springs for awhile and a lot of people like Naples. Some love it. I'm in your age group. I'll be 50 at the end of the year. Naples was a little too "old" for us. On the other hand, I haven't lived in that area since I was about 41.

Like I said, rent first until you find something that feels right for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area