Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 11:50 PM

48 posts, read 82,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Lee County is full of Midwesterners and not Southerners. However, since the crash things seem to be changing and there are more Northeasterners there. It almost makes me want to move back.
Hey! What's wrong with us Midwesterners?

We never, ever, ever thought we would live in a gated community. Here in STL we did the exact opposite of everyone we know. Instead of moving into a big new house in the gated-community golf course exurbs, we moved to the city and renovated a 90+ year old house. We've been very happy here.

Now that we're embarking on a new chapter in our lives, we found a great house in a gated community-- ohh noo!! Luckily we've already met most of our future neighbors and they've been very nice. And looking over the neighborhood rules, there is not really anything that would be a problem for us. The weirdest rule I've seen is that you cannot dangle a rug or a piece of clothing out of a window and shake it out. WHAAAT?! That's crazy talk! Do they have a Rug Patrol or something? I can see myself shaking out my rugs at 3:30am to avoid punishment lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 12:41 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,957,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulapoo View Post
The weirdest rule I've seen is that you cannot dangle a rug or a piece of clothing out of a window and shake it out. WHAAAT?! That's crazy talk! Do they have a Rug Patrol or something? I can see myself shaking out my rugs at 3:30am to avoid punishment lol.
Are you in a condo? That makes sense to me if people are living beneath you. I mean, why would somebody living on the first floor want his balcony covered in his upstairs neighbor's dust?

Last edited by justNancy; 03-21-2011 at 01:12 AM.. Reason: correct typo

Old 03-21-2011, 12:59 AM

48 posts, read 82,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Are you in a condo? That makes sense to me if people are leaving beneath you. I mean, why would somebody living on the first floor want his balcony covered in his upstairs neighbor's dust?
I agree! If we were going to be living in a multi-story building this would be a good rule. But this is a neighborhood with just 1 and 2 story detached homes. The homes are very close together though. I guess they want to avoid someone from a two-story home shaking out a rug and the particulate mess flowing into a neighbor's first-story window. Still I thought it was a funny thing for them to specify in the rules. People should already know NOT to shake their rug so that it blows into your neighbor's window! I haven't yet encountered this in our STL home. We all go into our back yard and shake the rugs, not dangle them out a side window.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulapoo View Post
But this is a neighborhood with just 1 and 2 story detached homes.
Well, then you were right in the first place. Sorry. That is a strange rule.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:04 AM

19,448 posts, read 27,884,744 times
Not a strange rule for some from another culture. Common practice in other counties like France, Italy, Mexico and throughout Asia.

It is also common in those cultures to sweep the front sidewalks in front of their homes. In fact, I had a lease once in Mexico that required me to do that every other day.

Different strokes, folks.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:45 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,337,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Not a strange rule for some from another culture. Common practice in other counties like France, Italy, Mexico and throughout Asia.

It is also common in those cultures to sweep the front sidewalks in front of their homes. In fact, I had a lease once in Mexico that required me to do that every other day.

Different strokes, folks.
Yeah, but this is The United States of America.

What do you mean that it is not a strange rule for some from another culture? You mean it's common practice for people in France, Italy, etc. to shake out their rugs? So? PaulaPoo is saying that she would like to shake out her rugs and can't.

Sorry folks but rules like that are creepy. To each their own, though. If PaulaPoo is happy, then who am I to say?

Old 03-29-2011, 03:36 PM

There is only one reason I desire to live in a community (not necessarily gated) with an HOA. We all have a different tolerance level when it comes to noise and difficult neighbors, but I had a very bad experience which forced me to move.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:13 PM

964 posts, read 2,066,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb3 View Post
but dam'n do they cramn houses together in those fl. communities.
Indeed they do!

Old 03-29-2011, 04:30 PM

964 posts, read 2,066,578 times
How much do these HOA fees run, anyway? We pay $140/month for lawn and pool care in our non-HOA, non-gated, quietly lovely street in SE CC, so that alone is $420 per quarter. I guess if you are older and don't want to be bothered with all that work, having someone in a community take care of that and all the landscaping for a fee is OK. I guess if one is older, the more "structured" HOA setting might be embraced, but the right 'hood in CC also has restrictions in place to keep the place nice.

Not sure what happens in an HOA if the neighbors are noisy? It's a sad state that we have to consider walling ourselves in and establish rules to guide basic etiquette in order to protect ourselves from the other element, whoever they may be.

It's an allegory similar to the the US school systems today. Since kids come to school without basic behavioral training, teachers are expected to provide it on parents' behalf. On top of that, teachers are expected to also make sure the children learn, or they are penalized financially by the system.....

Old 03-29-2011, 07:32 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,337,733 times
I've never heard of a HOA regulating noise. I'm sure there is a rule somewhere for some development but I have no idea how successful they would be compared to the cops. I think you are going to take your chances no matter where you go. Life is a crap shoot. You can buy tomorrow and the neighbors can be fabulous and the next week they can move away and be replaced by lunatics. Same with HOAs. Even if you could find a HOA that successfully deals with noise - although I doubt it - the next month the noise ordinance could be voted down and loud neighbors could move in. The only way you can guarantee stuff like that is to become a land baron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area