Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 08:45 AM

23 posts, read 86,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Bogus?

Four people from Fort Myers have been charged with killing Washington Redskin's Sean Taylor at his home in Miami-Dade.

Maybe I missed it, but nobody brought this up?

The News-Press, news-press.com, Local & State, Suspects charged in Redskins' Sean Taylor's death

I am not a bit surprised. Ft Myers may not be as crime ridden as Miami, but I'd bet it's getting close. Those who say they feel safe here....please be careful because it is not as safe as you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 09:03 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Bogus?

Four people from Fort Myers have been charged with killing Washington Redskin's Sean Taylor at his home in Miami-Dade.

Maybe I missed it, but nobody brought this up?

The News-Press, news-press.com, Local & State, Suspects charged in Redskins' Sean Taylor's death

I saw that on CNN. And all their lawyers say they are "good kids" who made a bad decision....

It is not all of Fort Myers, but areas of Fort Myers & Lehigh are just plain bad anymore, Hipknaster. They just found the four guys who killed 2 people & left them in their car in Lehigh. The one that freaked me out was the guys who broke down the door of a guest at the Holiday Inn in Fort Myers & robbed him at gunpoint. This was the week we left.

I didn't mention the Redskins player b/c I would then be accused of posting negative info.

I was told since I "never owned a home in SWFL", my comments are not valid

Last edited by 121804; 12-03-2007 at 09:11 AM..

Old 12-29-2007, 09:26 PM

4 posts, read 6,432 times
Default Lived here for 20 years

Wow! I am shocked to hear so much negavitity about the area. Comparing it to Miami? I don't think so! Some areas arent safe and some are much much better. I live in South Fort Myers with three kids, own a business on the beach and love the area. I am a runner and spend lots of time at the parks with my kids. Guess the immediate "danger" does depend on where you live. I'll say it is not like living in Miani- yikes! I dont even like visiting there..,

Old 12-30-2007, 09:11 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,905,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweber View Post
Wow! I am shocked to hear so much negavitity about the area. Comparing it to Miami? I don't think so! Some areas arent safe and some are much much better. I live in South Fort Myers with three kids, own a business on the beach and love the area. I am a runner and spend lots of time at the parks with my kids. Guess the immediate "danger" does depend on where you live. I'll say it is not like living in Miani- yikes! I dont even like visiting there..,
No its were you go!

Old 01-09-2008, 12:27 AM

1 posts, read 3,080 times
Default fort myers is murder captal now

i live in fort myers florida its very bad here im scared to go out my front door when i hear gun shots from next door.sometimes i have to sleep under my bed so i dont get shot. if theres any city that u have to have to bring a gun to your mail box to check your mail like fort myers please come forward because i would like to know what city in florida or the usa you dont have to i would love to move there asap

Old 01-09-2008, 09:43 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,336,752 times
I grew up in Fort Myers and have lived all over since than in other parts of the State and Country including many major metro areas. The issue is that most of the crime in Fort Myers is concentrated within it's city limits and the city is only 50-60K people. When they do the statistical analysis per 100k residents, that means they double the numbers for every stat. I can tell you that Fort Myers is not Mayberry but comparing it to NYC or CHI is ridiculous. Overall, the Southwest Florida area is safe and I have never felt compelled to carry a firearm with me at all times. I do not have to constantly look over my shoulder either. There are places there that are just downright boring, you're worst concerns are being attacked by a skunk ape or rabid raccoon.

That being said, I grew up in East Fort Myers and since the time I left it has gotten worse. I'm do not mean to discredit any other posters. Growing up there I'd occasionally (a few times a year, not a few times a day) hear random gunfire in the distance. But I'd be more concerned about property crime there than being caught up in the crossfire of a hail of bullets. There are other places I have been in other metros where that was a real concern but again, those places were small pockets and I would not categorize the entire community that way. Central FM, East FM, Dunbar, Lehigh and Pine Manor make up less than 25% of the population of Southwest Florida. Basing the reputation of the community on such a small segment just doesn't make sense.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:39 PM

326 posts, read 470,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g~money View Post
i live in fort myers florida its very bad here im scared to go out my front door when i hear gun shots from next door.sometimes i have to sleep under my bed so i dont get shot. if theres any city that u have to have to bring a gun to your mail box to check your mail like fort myers please come forward because i would like to know what city in florida or the usa you dont have to i would love to move there asap
fort myers? i hear that the current murder capital is new orleans (about 71 per 100,000 people).

Old 01-13-2008, 08:58 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,905,268 times
John Walsh, the star of "America's Most Wanted," thinks viewers can help crack the case of the eight skeletal remains found in a wooded area of Fort Myers.

Southwest Florida Murders (http://www.nbc-2.com/googlemaps/2006-7murders.htm - broken link)

The News-Press, news-press.com, Fort Myers, ‘Most Wanted’ films segment in Fort Myers (http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080111/NEWS0110/801110366/1085/NEWS0110 - broken link)

Old 04-12-2008, 11:53 AM

3 posts, read 11,584 times
We just looked at a community - gated Emerson Square in Ft. Myers..It looked really nice...is it really unsafe there?

Old 04-12-2008, 12:03 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,076,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triton1 View Post
fort myers? i hear that the current murder capital is new orleans (about 71 per 100,000 people).

New orleans doesn't have a current murder rate of 71. That was back in 1990's. Right now its at about 40 to 50 per 100,000 people. Actually the murder capital of the US is Gary, IN

Last edited by caliguy92832; 04-12-2008 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area