Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 04:21 PM

240 posts, read 262,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
That sounds awful, actually. You wake up to a cold mountain view and get to watch trees look they are dying. Man, how do I get in on some of that....
Life is perception. What you think is great, another will think otherwise. BTW, for you to love where you live, and I know where you live, you must have come from some horrible dump of a place. I'm betting you grew up in a small ugly industrial town in New Jersey?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 04:38 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
OK, can all the drama queens clean out the sand in their butt cracks? Thanks. Calling ppl on an internet forum bigots or racists or whatever little jibe u can think of is really meaningless these days.

Fort Lauderdale is a dream compared to miami's traffic. Fort Lauderdale should look to Miami as a gleaming example of what NOT to become. Driving in most places in Miami is nothing short of hell on earth. Kendall is a mess. Anywhere along US1 is a mess. The Palmetto and Dolphin and 95 ALWAYS a mess. Dade and Broward have many commonalities, yet I still believe Broward is nicer in regards to traffic and neighborhoods in general. There are more parks, it's not as dense, it's just a bit more unpopulated and easy to live.... Let's save Palm Beach County and keep that place how it is. dade is a lost cause. AND TBH, if i may..... I find dae county mostly ugly. Aside from the beaches and maybe Gables area and parts of the Grove.... Dade county is quite unimpressive. I'm not saying Broward is some gorgeous place either, but at least it's not as shoddy looking as many parts of dade look. I mean driving along the palmetto for most of the length and looking off in the distance is gross.... nothing but cheap looking buildings everywhere

Old 09-05-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
OK, can all the drama queens clean out the sand in their butt cracks? Thanks. Calling ppl on an internet forum bigots or racists or whatever little jibe u can think of is really meaningless these days. Fort Lauderdale is a dream compared to miami's traffic. Fort Lauderdale should look to Miami as a gleaming example of what NOT to become. Driving in most places in Miami is nothing short of hell on earth. Kendall is a mess. Anywhere along US1 is a mess. The Palmetto and Dolphin and 95 ALWAYS a mess. Dade and Broward have many commonalities, yet I still believe Broward is nicer in regards to traffic and neighborhoods in general. There are more parks, it's not as dense, it's just a bit more unpopulated and easy to live.... Let's save Palm Beach County and keep that place how it is. dade is a lost cause. AND TBH, if i may..... I find dae county mostly ugly. Aside from the beaches and maybe Gables area and parts of the Grove.... Dade county is quite unimpressive. I'm not saying Broward is some gorgeous place either, but at least it's not as shoddy looking as many parts of dade look. I mean driving along the palmetto for most of the length and looking off in the distance is gross.... nothing but cheap looking buildings everywhere
I agree 100%. Thanks for sharing my friend.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:31 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Barbosa View Post
Life is perception. What you think is great, another will think otherwise. BTW, for you to love where you live, and I know where you live, you must have come from some horrible dump of a place. I'm betting you grew up in a small ugly industrial town in New Jersey?
Lol. Born in South Florida. Lived in CA until high school. Been back in this area since. I like beaches, palm trees, and the tropics. While people like you whine and complain, I'm out on the water - maybe having lunch at a little island on the bay. Until I sold my plane, I'd be flying down to the Keys.

Life is what you make of it, and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Especially cooped up in a house in the mountains. Been there, done that (for a short time period). The dreams of sitting by the fire and enjoying hot cocoa get old, FAST. The "changing colors" means things are about to get cold and nasty.... whoopie. I prefer green and vibrant, all year.

You talk about congestion and traffic, all that nonsense.... but there's absolutely none of that where I live nor on my way to the office. I have an acre of property, it's quiet, beautiful, great schools, tons of restaurants and things to do, parks, etc. etc. etc. All your complaints, not part of my experience. But that's on purpose, I live where I do for a reason.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
OK, can all the drama queens clean out the sand in their butt cracks? Thanks. Calling ppl on an internet forum bigots or racists or whatever little jibe u can think of is really meaningless these days.

Fort Lauderdale is a dream compared to miami's traffic. Fort Lauderdale should look to Miami as a gleaming example of what NOT to become. Driving in most places in Miami is nothing short of hell on earth. Kendall is a mess. Anywhere along US1 is a mess. The Palmetto and Dolphin and 95 ALWAYS a mess. Dade and Broward have many commonalities, yet I still believe Broward is nicer in regards to traffic and neighborhoods in general. There are more parks, it's not as dense, it's just a bit more unpopulated and easy to live.... Let's save Palm Beach County and keep that place how it is. dade is a lost cause. AND TBH, if i may..... I find dae county mostly ugly. Aside from the beaches and maybe Gables area and parts of the Grove.... Dade county is quite unimpressive. I'm not saying Broward is some gorgeous place either, but at least it's not as shoddy looking as many parts of dade look. I mean driving along the palmetto for most of the length and looking off in the distance is gross.... nothing but cheap looking buildings everywhere
Definitely agree with these statements

Old 09-05-2016, 06:31 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,432,117 times
Quote:
Lol. Born in South Florida. Lived in CA until high school. Been back in this area since. I like beaches, palm trees, and the tropics. While people like you whine and complain, I'm out on the water - maybe having lunch at a little island on the bay. Until I sold my plane, I'd be flying down to the Keys.

Life is what you make of it, and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Especially cooped up in a house in the mountains. Been there, done that (for a short time period). The dreams of sitting by the fire and enjoying hot cocoa get old, FAST. The "changing colors" means things are about to get cold and nasty.... whoopie. I prefer green and vibrant, all year.

You talk about congestion and traffic, all that nonsense.... but there's absolutely none of that where I live nor on my way to the office. I have an acre of property, it's quiet, beautiful, great schools, tons of restaurants and things to do, parks, etc. etc. etc. All your complaints, not part of my experience. But that's on purpose, I live where I do for a reason.
This! Well said!

Old 09-05-2016, 09:37 PM

Quote:
You talk about congestion and traffic, all that nonsense....but there's absolutely none of that where I live nor on my way to the office. I have an acre of property, it's quiet, beautiful, great schools, tons of restaurants and things to do, parks, etc. etc. etc. All your complaints, not part of my experience. But that's on purpose, I live where I do for a reason.
If I recall you live in Kendall? Kendall is not in any way what you described above.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Barbosa View Post
If I recall you live in Kendall? Kendall is not in any way what you described above.
Not only do I not live in Kendall, my city and State are right next to my username....

In fact, I write quite a bit about how much I dislike the Miami suburbs and would never live there... so not sure where you get it from that I live there.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:12 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Quote:

Palmetto scenery just looks blah...

Now, BQE (at least the way it looked back when I lived in the city, that was something awful.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:01 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,045,336 times
I'll throw in my 2 cents but remember, this is just my opinion. You mileage may vary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
There is also a new condo/hotel going up next to Las Olas RiverHouse
100 Las Olas Under Construction, Set To Become Tallest In Fort Lauderdale
and other apartment complexes set to be built in this general area, maybe already time for the op to leave the area I am staying and will be happy to hopefully reap the profits on our property down the road. The idea about this area is, and has been, because it is walkable, and with more buildings comes more infrastructure, making it even better for us. one mans lemon is another mans cake.
Unfortunately, ft.lauderdale has a "very HOT CLIMATE (hot-n-humid)" and it last 10 mth out of the year. And is not condusive for window shopping (unless you are talking about night time). Walking around is just not practical...Unless you can handle 100degree + heat index weather, then window shopping at expensive botiques is really not that great. The impact of that building to the area will create huge traffic problems, but if you don't live on Las Olas, it won't really concern you too much. Yep, one mans lemon is another mans cake....i agree with you on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SereneSage View Post
^^Right....

One reason downtown FLL might be under developed is that it is next to one of the worst sections of town: Broward Boulevard and Sistrunk, for those who are not aware, our section 8 housing district. And city efforts to revitalize Sistrunk have largely failed. Nobody wants to start a business there because it is a trashy ghetto. Unfortunately BB is on my commute home and there is a nice Speedway on an intersection which I love but won't use because there are teams of hobos all over it panhandling.

Downtown Fort Lauderdale sucks, las Olas is just a bunch of pretentious over priced shops, bars, and clubs so if you're not into the night life there's nothing to do in downtown Fort Lauderale aside from two museums which you can see everything in two visits and then you are bored again.

Plz stop defending it. It sucks. Just accept it and move on.
Agreed. Ft.Lauderdale (unless you can walk to work and shop right there) has become less desirable IMO. Unfortunately, its city living with all that goes with it. (THE suburbs is where you want to live, if you can swing it).

However, Sistrunk area is on its way to being developed and built out too. They have major plans for more office and apartments there too. Its called "regentrification." and its taking place now. The property owners love it as values are continuing to climb and ft.laud., is trying to run the drug dealers/users out of that area. It will take some work, $ and time. But its happening.

And if you think that 7ave and Broward is bad, you don't know what bad is. Take a ride to West Palm Beach and cruise around there. Then you'll appreciate the few hobo's that float around broward bld.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil Torres View Post
Existing hard-working residents will comprise the new "poorer" classes after these new developments are built. S. Florida new construction, esp. downtown FTL will be marketed to the same classes of people, often shadowy, faceless global elites that construction in Miami-Dade was marketed to. Marketers will tell you how wonderful this was for areas of Miami-Dade, but you should ask people who've lived here. New businesses will cater to the very wealthy classes, traffic will increase dramatically. Part-time, wealthy, sometimes very arrogant owners don't give a darn about the community. Their real estate investment in your area is just part of their portfolio. Your quality of life will not improve bc of shiny new buildings nearby. This would be horrible for Ft Laud. which still has plenty of original character left.
Quote:

I grew up in Dade and would have to agree with you. Its got some bad traffic and they are building even more properties in N.Dade Aventura.

However, Palm beach county has few good areas and its spread out with not nearly as good shopping. Lets see, off the top of my head, Parts of Boynton, Boca, Delray, Lake Worth, North palm are decent to live in...but forget about WEST PALM BEACH (unless you can afford to live on the island). The city of WPB is literally a dump (and i don't mean to be cruel, but it is what it is. The city is trying to re gentrify the place, but its bad).

OTH, palm beach county has the nicest beaches in S.Fla. (boca, delray, riv.bch, palm beach island, singer island, jupiter, etc).

Quote:

Agreed,....i lived in Davie for many years and it was very nice. All the conveniences one could ask for. Traffic is getting heavy though...like any other place in Broward. Weston is nice, but you gotta pay to live there (it would also help if you knew Spanish). Traffic on University Dr and 595 is always heavy all the time. OTH, its got every kinda shopping you need or want.

SUMMARY imo
Fort lauderdale has grown to the point where it has lost all its charm. The beaches are conjested and parking is nearly impossible. If you are a young professional and can afford to live in a high rise and have a short commute to work, and are single....then it has very little appeal. Sure, owning a property there "might" pay off, but its also over-priced right now. I suspect the next correction will be coming and like all re cycles, there's a boom and bust period. I used to have an office on the corner of Sunrise and Fed. (but lived in Davie). The house prices in that area are out of reach for the avg. worker/professional, so they have to rent to live/work in ft.laud. That's life. I would suggest living out west (Davie, Plantation, Weston) for a better way of life and deal with the commute if you work in ft.lauderdale.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area