Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 02:56 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,751,294 times

Advertisements

Yes the Northern front range is windy. The constant wind is the one thing I hate about weather around Fort Collins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 06:33 PM

169 posts, read 672,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoNewcomer View Post
We currently live in a very windy area of Arizona. The wind makes it difficult to enjoy time outdoors even if the temperatures are comfortable. For example, right now the wind 25 mph with gusts of 29 and it's been doing this for days. I noticed in you local forecast that you are currently blowing around 4 mph with snow showers.

Also, I noticed that Fort Collins is ranked 5 and Loveland 8 in 101 windiest cities with a population over 50,000. Does this sound/feel right to you? You know how those lists can be deceptive. If you had to make a complaint about your weather, what would it be?

Thanks for your response.

Well maybe I am biased b/c I like it in Ft Collins however I do not believe we have "constant" wind. However, there are windy days and sometimes very windy days. This is a very true statement - and it is especially true today

Quote:
For example, right now the wind 25 mph with gusts of 29 and it's been doing this for days. I noticed in you local forecast that you are currently blowing around 4 mph with snow showers.
Personally, IMO this rarely happens. You might get 1-2 days of sustained wind, but several days is not that common.

To answer the last question, there is not much I can complain about regarding the weather here. Of course I am originally from Louisiana so Ft Collins weather is a HUGE change for the better If I had to pick something I would say the spurts of bitter cold we sometimes get during the winter (which can be compounded by the wind). However, it usually doesn't last long so I am OK with that - plus it beats the deathly smothering humidity of LA summer weather.

Like I said I came from the deep South, so my perspective is a bit skewed

Old 05-03-2008, 09:32 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,751,294 times
It is a fact that Cheyenne WY is the windiest city in the US, with Fort Collins only being about 45 miles from there we get more then our fair share of the wind.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:29 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,259,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
It is a fact that Cheyenne WY is the windiest city in the US, with Fort Collins only being about 45 miles from there we get more then our fair share of the wind.
You are comparing apples and oranges really. That's like saying that Estes Park gets a ton of snow, so does Fort Collins because they are only about an hour apart. Cheyenne sits above 7000 ft. - Fort Collins sits right about 5100 ft. That makes a huge difference in temperatures and wind speeds.

Having lived in Fort Collins for 3 years, I can say that yes it does get windy and yes there are days of extreme wind events, but those are rare. The higher winds often come with thunderstorms that form off the Rockies and move over Fort Collins, but because they are high-based and dry, little rain falls and instead more wind from gust fronts impact the region. I never found it to be that much of a big deal (again, with the extreme wind events, yes blowing dust is an issue, but those events happen like once every year).

Old 05-09-2008, 03:45 PM

136 posts, read 461,080 times
[quote=wxjay;3718060]You are comparing apples and oranges really. That's like saying that Estes Park gets a ton of snow, so does Fort Collins because they are only about an hour apart. Cheyenne sits above 7000 ft. - Fort Collins sits right about 5100 ft. That makes a huge difference in temperatures and wind speeds.

Haha. I completely agree with that. Ive gone from partly cloudy and 45 degrees in Loveland to 26 degrees and a raging blizzard in Cheyenne. Once you get over the ridge at the colorado border, its a whole new ballgame as the mountains don't protect the city of Cheyenne, its a wind tunnel down the prarie.

But to answer your question, there is usually a slight breeze in the air. It is much more windy in the wintertime, which sucks, but I don't feel its worse than anywhere else in colorado.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:35 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,981,432 times
Northern Colorado from Boulder north is windy, and that includes Fort Collins. The winds are strongest near the foothills.

Winter wind is not all bad. In the winter, the wind can be horrid, but actually there are warm chinook winds that are actually welcome -- it is those Chinooks that actually give the front range the occasional 65+ degree days that make the winters tolerable. The chinooks also tend to force the heavy, cold air out, so cold snaps don't linger all winter long. Wind also tends to get rid of pollution. That is to say that wind can sometimes be your friend.

If you're looking for less wind, most of the Denver metro (except the far west and far southern suburbs) are less windy than northern colorado.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:56 PM

791 posts, read 2,960,205 times
Question Windy in Fort Collins?

Is Fort Collins known to be windy?

Old 07-01-2008, 10:47 AM

423 posts, read 1,960,555 times
I don't think Fort Collins is that windy. If you get north of there, it is windy around the Wellington area. The mountains shelter Fort Collins though.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:56 PM

791 posts, read 2,960,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Emmerling View Post
I don't think Fort Collins is that windy. If you get north of there, it is windy around the Wellington area. The mountains shelter Fort Collins though.

Thank you

Old 07-04-2008, 01:37 PM

9 posts, read 35,515 times
no way is it windy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area