Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 08:54 AM

5 posts, read 31,945 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!
I need some assistance in picking a Christian School in Ft Collins. We are being relocated for a job and have to move in the next month! The charter public schools are through a lottery system so my daughter has a very slim chance to get in. My oldest daughter will be entering Kindergarten. Does anyone know Heritage Christian Academy (American Classical Curriculum) or Front Range Baptist Academy (A Beka Curriculum)?
Is there a particular christian school known to be the best academically?? I would like to hear some opinions... Many thanks -Tica
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 02:18 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,979,824 times
Hi, former Fort Collins resident here, current Denverite. I did not have any kids at the time, nor was I really in the market for such schools, but I did personally know some high school students at Heritage -- they all seemed like great families and great students, and all spoke well of Hertiage. The American Classical curriculum works great for some kids but is not suited for all; it is a content or knowledge based curriculum, so you should research that to see if that's what you like. Classical has a lot of fans, but it's clearly not a good "fit" for all children. Note that there is also an excellent charter school with a similar curriculum, Ridgeview.

I don't know anything about Front Range Baptist Academy. As for the A Beka curriculum, I don't want to step on anyone's beliefs, of course, but I guess I would probably avoid the curriculum for my own children -- IMHO the worldview of the creators of A Beka is a bit "off the deep end" for me. I wouldn't want to expose my own children to it before I could give them some critical thinking skills to filter the material. Even then, IMO there are better curriculums. However, if you're familiar with A Beka and like its orientation, I'm not one to argue, just trying to encourage you to be informed.

My next-door neighbors for a while told me that they considered Christian schools for their grade-schoolers, but decided on Trout (charter school) instead, and said that many other Christian parents were doing the same. I don't think it was necessarily anything wrong with Heritage, but just that they felt that Trout was a better option for their own children, as well as a school environment that they were happy with.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:26 PM

Dear Tfox,

Thank you very much for your comments. I value your honest opinion. I am aware of Ridgeview but unfortunately acceptance there is through a lottery. We have a very small chance of getting my daughter to start this fall in any of the charter schools. I imagine all of them ran the lottery already. I still signed them up for the lottery so we shall see what happens with that.

Is there another christian private school that you would consider in Fort Collins?? I have two daughters a 4 and 5 year old.

I thank you in advance for your opinion! -Tica

Old 05-07-2008, 07:49 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,979,824 times
Unfortunately, I know more about educational options now in the Denver area. When I was in Fort Collins, I was aware of such things only in passing. I don't have direct experience with any of the schools.

Heritage is the only school accredited by the ASCI (Association of Christian Schools International), and the main one that springs to mind. There ARE other Christian schools, but they are mainly connected with a particular church and their mission doesn't extend too far beyond that, and many are unaccredited. Many mainline protestant denominations also have schools, which are not accredited by ASCI (which is really only for evangelical-oriented schools). Such schools have their own accreditation, for example, the National Lutheran School Accreditation (NLSA). Unfortuantely, I do not have any first-hand information about them.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:34 PM

Tfox- Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. Have a great weekend. I think I am leaning towards Heritage Christian Academy!

Old 05-10-2008, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 6,389 times
Depending on where you live in Fort Collins, you might consider Immanuel Lutheran School in Loveland. I grew up in Fort Collins and went to Immanuel. We lived in south Fort Collins, so the drive everyday wasn't too bad. The school excels both in academics and in its Christian focus. For the 2008-2009 school year they will be moving to a brand new building, which will give them a lot more room. Immanuel is slightly larger than a lot of Christian schools (two classrooms per grade) which allows them to offer a broad range of extracurricular activities. Here's their website: Immanuel Lutheran Church & School - School

Old 05-19-2008, 01:27 PM

Thanks AKH75!

I had not checked in in a while and found your response today. I will check it out. We will be coming to Fort Collins on May 28- June 1st. We are going to look for a rental home and check out the private christian schools.

Again Thank you,
Tica

Old 05-21-2008, 11:40 PM

1 posts, read 6,337 times
hey tica,

i went to heritage christian before they started calling it heritage academy. i was in public school k through 9, but my parents wanted me to attend the private christian school.

i wouldn't recommend this school. halfway through my sophomore year they bought a very expensive new building (they were previously located in the church my parents have attended for years) and were unable to continue payments and upkeep.

honestly, i felt like i should have stayed in the IB program, as the courses at heritage didn't challenge me whatsoever. the admin was very shaky as well; in fact, they kicked my best friend out just near the end of her junior year (both her and her brother attended since kindergarden) because one of our classmates spread a rumor that she was a lesbian. even though the allegations were (obviously) false, they were afraid it would ruin their "reputation" and kicked her out instead. in my opinion, this is not "christ-like" behavior.

i did like the teachers though, if that makes a difference!

hope this helps. i really wouldn't have posted a reply if i didn't feel so strongly about the topic.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:36 AM

Hello KSimpson95,

Thank you so much for your opinion! Did they have their current classical curriculum when you attended the school? In your opinion which Ft Collins schools are better? Please take into consideration the environment, we are Christian and that is the only thing that scares me from public schools. I don't like the lack of Christian values in the public schools today. However, Fort Collins might be different...I don't know?

What do you think?

Let me know. Thanks so much,
Tica

Old 06-26-2008, 12:30 PM

130 posts, read 213,996 times
I would look into taking your children to Resurrection Felllowship it is off of I25 towards Loveland if you don't mind the drive. It isn't as pricey as Heritage. [SIZE=1]

[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area