Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 04:20 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,219,628 times

Advertisements

ATTN: janb

WY Cost of living index, most recent data published 2nd qtr 2006, available from: //eadiv.state.wy.us/wcli/wcli.asp

they have the comparables on WY towns over 5,000 population, food costs, housing, etc ... all broken out in charts and data sheets.

BTW, I started driving MB diesels in the late 60's. Fuel econ in the mid 30's when diesel was still a nickel/gallon. My dad used to commute with a 220D fin body and get 38 mpg, after driving renault 4CV's and Dauphines at high 40 mpg. My 70's 4 cylinder BMW's (1600, 2002's) turned in 30+ in stock tune; I built up a few with cams, big valves, and webers and stebro exhaust and turned in 40 mpg cruising 75+ mph in Denver region ... much faster/quicker cars than the later econoboxes.

I remember the very surprised looks of folks around driving big barges that would get blown off by my little two-door bimmers. Nobody knew what they were around here in the early 70's. Used to **** folks off that I could go, even up the hills .... I'd lead them into freeway off ramps at speeds they couldn't keep up with and watch the terror hit their faces as they started to lose it off the road.

Even my 70's-80's peugeot diesel wagons turned in 35-38, which was nice because they were quicker cars than the MB diesels ... and cheaper to buy, too, with very very very low miles as people couldn't get them serviced and kept on the road (bought several with 30-40K that were listed at $20K new for around $500-800). I bought and flipped a bunch for a few grand net each that only needed to have the valves adjusted properly and clean filters ...

I kept a fleet of customer Rabbit diesels on the road, turning in 50-52 mpg in the region. OK runners, I just never got into them much. Kept a lot of Audi diesels going to ... the 5000 5 cylinder could turn in 40 mpg in the right hands. And, the Volvo with the audi 6 cylinder could go pretty well, too.

Our MB's 300Diesel Turbo runs around 28 mpg, but it's usually heavily loaded with sales literature and samples, travel gear, etc. With 120 HP, it's the quickest series of all the diesel's I've owned and doesn't slow down in the hills.

Prius is a myth in the net savings it offers. If it turned in 70 mpg, it might make sense .... Consumer reports really nailed it a few months ago.

The whole transportation industry has gone backwards. My '66 Ducati Mach 1 250 cc got 85-88 mpg commuting between Denver and Boulder, and was quick/fast enough to stay with english 500-650cc bikes of the era. Even those scoots would turn in 50-55 mpg, as does my Guzzi's of the 60's and 70's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2007, 12:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,140,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
The Cody property mill levy is a lot lower than that.

I'd bet that the house is located in an area that has a special district for street/road improvements, and/or new water/sewer requirements;
... just depends upon your point of view.
I'm pretty set on 'rural' but not necessarily 'Remote'
I'm ready to go 'off-grid', using veggie diesel genset for backup / heat exchanger for infloor heat. We have a nice rule in WA state that the utility HAS to pay you if you generate back into the grid with less than 25KW. I have a friend who gets a check rather than a bill from utility

Water / sewer is a tougher issue, but sometimes options exist (depending on jurisdiction) I keep my 'septic installers' license current. but even that is not enough to keep the rules at bay.

Any Off-Grid parcels in Nor Colo?

janb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area