Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2011, 12:34 PM

7 posts, read 11,651 times

Advertisements

I know Portland has the title of most bicycle friendly city in the US. Davis California is great for riders also. How does Fort Collins stack up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 12:39 PM

85 posts, read 249,406 times
The city theme is beer and bikes, if that tells you...

Old 05-09-2011, 10:00 PM

718 posts, read 1,985,985 times
As an avid cyclist for many years, I would say Fort Collins is absolutely a bike friendly town. Fort Collins has an official city position of Bike Coordinator. The city was designed with wide streets around the turn of the century, and that lends itself well to cycling on most of them, save for some of the main ones like Prospect and Horsetooth. The bike culture is alive and well with clubs, racing, commuters, and recreational cyclists. There are numerous good bicycle shops that cater to all styles and tastes here. The bike parking is abundant, yet there are so many cyclists, it is still sometimes not enough. The city has a bike library for people to borrow bikes.

Here are a few links for information:
www.yourgroupride.com: Local resource for rides, races, schedules, etc
Fort Collins city bike page: info on local cycling, including city facilities and the city Bike Map which shows the bike routes and off street bike paths.
Fort Collins local cycling resources

At one point last spring, I was aware of 5 different choices of rides in which to participate on the same day, a Tuesday in the middle of May. I have ridden some in Davis and driven in Portland, but the areas in which I was in both cities did not compare to Fort Collins.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:20 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,562,733 times
I live in Portland now. For it's size it is one of the best (if not the best bike city in American). For it's size, Fort Collins, is hands down better. There are ample bike lanes, bike paths, and bike shops. There is a great local community for all types of bike riding/racing/commuting/family. And the roads are rideable almost year round (even in winter they dry very quickly).

Didn't we just have this thread a few months ago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area