Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 05:00 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,902,279 times

Advertisements

Ford To Recall Small Number OF Hybrids Over Braking Issue | HULIQ

Just when they were starting to make a come back. This will clearly reverse that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 05:06 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,623,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Ford To Recall Small Number OF Hybrids Over Braking Issue | HULIQ

Just when they were starting to make a come back. This will clearly reverse that.

It's not safety related (although it feels like it is) and Ford didn't try to cover it up. All manufacturers have recalls and this one doesn't put peoples' lives in jeopardy. This will not impact Ford's comeback at all. Nice try, but no cigar.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:09 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,902,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
It's not safety related (although it feels like it is) and Ford didn't try to cover it up. All manufacturers have recalls and this one doesn't put peoples' lives in jeopardy. This will not impact Ford's comeback at all. Nice try, but no cigar.
Ford clearly chose the timing right to announce this recall

Old 02-04-2010, 07:02 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,038,544 times
Quote:
Toyota's wouldn't put peoples lives in jeopardy if they simply knew how to turn the car off. Where as Ford's infamous Pinto fiasco DID put peoples lives in jeopardy while the company was fully aware of it.

Just saying that all companies have problems... I like Fords... and Toyotas... and International Harvesters... and Triumphs...

I NEVER expect ANY corporate entity to think about my needs over profit.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:36 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
That is not Frods history it took suits to get them to recall those fire porblems and was part of the settelment. It looks like Chevy is getting ready to reacall Colalts too. I think that toyota actually taking vehicles off the market is going to set a new standard.The standard upto now was deny there is a problem until the lawsuits get close to court;that is when they fixed my Ford truck.It was so long in coming and they had loss track of them that I had to send them a letter that I sold it when they threatened to take me to court because I had long ago gotten rid of the truck.Rememebr that Ford never admitted that the low reommended pressure in theur SUV caused failures in the same tires as other vehicles that had no problems with them.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:14 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
Seriously, I don't get all the outrage about these recalls/defective products. This stuff happens, it's unfortunate but it's not even close to being the end of the world. If something like this legitimately has you scared out of your britches you should go get a friggen helmet and wear it everywhere you go.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:49 PM

2,166 posts, read 3,382,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
That is not Frods history it took suits to get them to recall those fire porblems and was part of the settelment. It looks like Chevy is getting ready to reacall Colalts too. I think that toyota actually taking vehicles off the market is going to set a new standard.The standard upto now was deny there is a problem until the lawsuits get close to court;that is when they fixed my Ford truck.It was so long in coming and they had loss track of them that I had to send them a letter that I sold it when they threatened to take me to court because I had long ago gotten rid of the truck.Rememebr that Ford never admitted that the low reommended pressure in theur SUV caused failures in the same tires as other vehicles that had no problems with them.
Texdav, honestly...I don't know whether you are dense or in denial.

What you said above describes this present Toyota fiasco and past Toyota missteps. They settled out of court for many of the sludging issues. There was a whole webpage at one time devoted to "My Toyota Lemon" related to sludging claims for Toyota's V6 engines that they were blaming on the owners initially. Then there were the Tacoma and Tundra frame rust issues that they finally ended up shelling out a big chunk of change to buy back vehicles affected. It had been going on for years and nothing was done until some independent auto reporters began to raise questions and put the pieces together. Then there was the Scion tC shattering sunroofs issue that Toyota quietly sent letters out to owners notifying them (which not everyone received) until the media got a hold of it, and then they finally issued a formal recall. Now we have the present fiasco, which any dolt can go to the NHTSA website and see hundreds of claims of unintended acceleration from years back, yet Toyota waited things finally boiled over and they could no longer stall. I remember stories from 2007 of Priuses stalling on icy surfaces and now they finally get around to recalling them. No matter how you spin it, Toyota has handled this issue about as poorly as they possibly could have. Their head CEO isn't even confident enough to come out in public and make a statement to reassure their confused and alienated customer base. If they keep it up, only the loyalists will be left.

You can dredge up the past all day long, but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter. People pick up a newspaper today and read that Ford's quality is as good as the Japanese, and they also subsequently read that Toyota continues to make headlines for missteps and omissions they made in their biggest PR blunder in the company's history. It's not enough to change things overnight, but Toyota is heading down the same road that Big Three began to travel down in the 1970s. Customers only stay loyal for so long...the Big Three learned that dearly.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Seriously, I don't get all the outrage about these recalls/defective products. This stuff happens, it's unfortunate but it's not even close to being the end of the world. If something like this legitimately has you scared out of your britches you should go get a friggen helmet and wear it everywhere you go.
Apparently you are missing my point. I am not scared at all! For chrimminy sakes I have and IH and a Triumph.

I think the hysteria over the whole issue is WAY overblown! The media and the Ferrin car haters are whipping up a frenzy way beyond what is warranted.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:54 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,623,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
Toyota's wouldn't put peoples lives in jeopardy if they simply knew how to turn the car off. Where as Ford's infamous Pinto fiasco DID put peoples lives in jeopardy while the company was fully aware of it.

Just saying that all companies have problems... I like Fords... and Toyotas... and International Harvesters... and Triumphs...

C'mon.....you are saying that it's the Toyota driver's fault if lives are lost becuase they didn't know how to control their runaway vehicle? Toyota shouldn't build runaway vehicles to begin with. That is ABSURD! (and lame). That's like saying that Ford did not build deadly Pintos if the people that were rear-ended would have paid better attention to what was behind them. What you said has to be the most IDIOTIC defense of Toyota I have ever heard! Kool-Aid OVERSOSE!

Old 02-04-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
C'mon.....you are saying that it's the Toyota driver's fault if lives are lost becuase they didn't know how to control their runaway vehicle? Toyota shouldn't build runaway vehicles to begin with. That is ABSURD! (and lame). That's like saying that Ford did not build deadly Pintos if the people that were rear-ended would have paid better attention to what was behind them. What you said has to be the most IDIOTIC defense of Toyota I have ever heard! Kool-Aid OVERSOSE!
Wrongo there Steve. Big difference. A Pinto drive had no control over someone rear ending them. A Toyota driver simply had to know how to turn off the vehicle. Hold the button down for a few seconds till it turns off.

I would never begin to drive a vehicle unless I knew the procedure to turn it off. Pretty elementary really.

I am not saying that they shouldn't have built them with that flaw, but I would drive one with absolutely no fear because I KNOW I could deal with the one in a million chance that it would accelerate outside of my control.

That is not IDIOTIC, that is logic.

BTW: I really do not have a 'brand' loyalty, I buy old cars that suit my needs, not what polls, CR, internet heros, or anyone else says is the 'best'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln