Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 09:12 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,508,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
Apparently you are missing my point. I am not scared at all! For chrimminy sakes I have and IH and a Triumph.

I think the hysteria over the whole issue is WAY overblown! The media and the Ferrin car haters are whipping up a frenzy way beyond what is warranted.
No, you apparently missed MY point...cuz I was agreeing with you

I've been totally ignoring this whole thing, partly because I won't be able to afford a 2010 Toyota, Ford or Chevy until sometime after 2020 (and even then, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want one), but today it was on the front cover of my local paper and I made the mistake of reading a few quotes from the poor, "horrified" owners of these cars who "just don't know what to do with themselves" and are "worried [they'll] never feel safe behind the wheel again".....blech. Give me a @#%@ break, like you say in your next post - just put the damn thing in neutral and step on the brakes. If any one of these folks had the slightest idea of how an automobile functions instead of considering it some mystical transportation device that runs on magic and pixie dust there would be absolutely no problem. There are literally hundreds of recalls a year. Take the damn thing back to the dealer and save the rest for your therapist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 09:15 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,624,203 times
Quote:
Wrongo there Steve. Big difference. A Pinto drive had no control over someone rear ending them. A Toyota driver simply had to know how to turn off the vehicle. Hold the button down for a few seconds till it turns off.

I would never begin to drive a vehicle unless I knew the procedure to turn it off. Pretty elementary really.

I am not saying that they shouldn't have built them with that flaw, but I would drive one with absolutely no fear because I KNOW I could deal with the one in a million chance that it would accelerate outside of my control.

That is not IDIOTIC, that is logic.

BTW: I really do not have a 'brand' loyalty, I buy old cars that suit my needs, not what polls, CR, internet heros, or anyone else says is the 'best'.
Wait there deepo.... I can use your reasoning with the Pinto and say that if the driver of the Pinto knew how to make an effective defensive emergency manuever, he would not have gotten rearended, thus no explosion and no death. Therefore, Ford would not have built a deadly car.

Toyota DID put peoples lives in jeopardy and kill people with this defect. Although advisable to do so, you shouldn't be required to design an emergency plan upon entering a vehicle for potential situations arising from potential defects. You should be certain that the car will perform safely if you operate and maintain it according to the owner's manual and in accordance with safe driving practices.

Last edited by Steve_TN; 02-04-2010 at 09:26 PM..

Old 02-04-2010, 09:26 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,038,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Wait there deepo.... I can use your reasoning with the Pinto and say that if the driver of the Pinto knew how do make a defensive emergency manuever, he would not have gotten rearended, thus no explosion and no death. Therefore, for would not have built a deadly car.

Toyota DID put peoples lives in jeopardy and kill people with this defect. Although highly advisable, you shouldn't have to design an emergency plan upon entering a vehicle. You should be certain that the car will perform safely if you operate and maintain it according to the owner's manual and in accordance with safe driving practices.
Fine Steve, but your argument does not stand up, logically that is. But I may be expecting too much.

I am not defending Toyota's design flaw but only trying to say that they are not alone in the auto industry. AND that I would drive one without fear because it is very simple to mitigate the one in a million chance of unintended acceleration. This is the Ford thread after all.

If you were driving your (insert favorite brand here) and it began to accelerate out of your control, what would you do?

If you were at a train track waiting for the train to pass while behind a vehicle and with vehicles to either side and you saw a car barreling toward you about to rear end you, what would you do?

Just ask yourself those questions honestly and you may see the real difference. I do not ask for any response to this, it does not matter to me.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Fine Steve, but your argument does not stand up, logically that is. But I may be expecting too much.

I am not defending Toyota's design flaw but only trying to say that they are not alone in the auto industry. AND that I would drive one without fear because it is very simple to mitigate the one in a million chance of unintended acceleration. This is the Ford thread after all.

If you were driving your (insert favorite brand here) and it began to accelerate out of your control, what would you do?

If you were at a train track waiting for the train to pass while behind a vehicle and with vehicles to either side and you saw a car barreling toward you about to rear end you, what would you do?

Just ask yourself those questions honestly and you may see the real difference. I do not ask for any response to this, it does not matter to me.
No, I'm the one in error. I expected too much from you based on your post I originally repsonded to. I see your lack of sensibility in response to other's posts, so why did I expect a decent answer from you to begin with? Why did I think you would suddenly come to your senses after reading what I wrote. Oh well.....c'est la vie.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
No, you apparently missed MY point...cuz I was agreeing with you
OK, my bad.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
C'mon.....you are saying that it's the Toyota driver's fault if lives are lost becuase they didn't know how to control their runaway vehicle? Toyota shouldn't build runaway vehicles to begin with. That is ABSURD! (and lame). That's like saying that Ford did not build deadly Pintos if the people that were rear-ended would have paid better attention to what was behind them. What you said has to be the most IDIOTIC defense of Toyota I have ever heard! Kool-Aid OVERSOSE!
Quote:
No, I'm the one in error. I expected too much from you based on your post I originally repsonded to. I see your lack of sensibility in response to other's posts, so why did I expect a decent answer from you to begin with? Why did I think you would suddenly come to your senses after reading what I wrote. Oh well.....c'est la vie.
I had already made it clear that I feel that any driver should be able to shut off the vehicle they are driving so I felt I already answered your question. But, yes it was the drivers fault for not being smart enough to turn off the vehicle. I believe in personal responsibility. Toyota shares the blame because of the design flaw, I already stated as much to that effect as well.

As to the tone of your response to me, the words IDIOTIC and ABSURD show your sensibility to others posts, not mine. The 'Kool-Aid OVERSOSE' [sic] is irrelevant since I have no brand loyalty to Toyota. I was using examples related to the 'Ford' subject of this thread to make my point that all manufacturers have had problems, and IMO this is more a hysterical reaction than an earth shattering problem.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:58 PM

19 posts, read 71,179 times
I think I'm just gonna stay with American cars period.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:52 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Bu7t you have to relise that there are going to be alot less things run offf the engine power as we move to vehcies that get better mileage required by law.The Colbalt for example with its electric power steering is reported to be having issues.Driving things off the engine was why tehy went to electric radiator fans and they had problems when introduced.Its all related to not using engine power really. The hybrids do alot of this now.If your as old as i am you rememebr when Olds broguht out teh hydromatic which was the first reliable automatic transmisson. Before that few thought they were worth a damm.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
I had already made it clear that I feel that any driver should be able to shut off the vehicle they are driving so I felt I already answered your question. But, yes it was the drivers fault for not being smart enough to turn off the vehicle. I believe in personal responsibility. Toyota shares the blame because of the design flaw, I already stated as much to that effect as well.

As to the tone of your response to me, the words IDIOTIC and ABSURD show your sensibility to others posts, not mine. The 'Kool-Aid OVERSOSE' [sic] is irrelevant since I have no brand loyalty to Toyota. I was using examples related to the 'Ford' subject of this thread to make my point that all manufacturers have had problems, and IMO this is more a hysterical reaction than an earth shattering problem.

"I do not ask for any response to this, it does not matter to me."

Recognize the above quote? You should since it is yours. Anyway, it's obvioulsly a lie and obvious that it DID matter to you or you wouldn't have bothered answering me. So predictable. Gotta love it!

Last edited by Steve_TN; 02-04-2010 at 11:15 PM..

Old 02-04-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
"I do not ask for any response to this, it does not matter to me."

Recognize the above quote? You should since it is yours. Anyway, it's obvioulsly a lie and obvious that it DID matter to you or you wouldn't have bothered answering me. So predictable. Gotta love it!
I was referring to my scenarios...

Quote:

just to be clear, it seems you have a bit of trouble following along.
I did not ask for a response to those, I only wanted you to see the difference.

Since you accused me of not answering your questions, I pointed out that I had in the response that I posted.

Why do you continue to attack me when I am only trying to point out the hysteria in all the recall craziness?

I have rationally proffered my point of view and you continue to rant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln