Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 09:54 PM

163 posts, read 424,535 times

Advertisements

'08 Ford Edge Sunroof Won't Close all the way it stops about 6 inches short and w/ weather here snow lots rain I've tried everything to no real avail. Put plywood over it and Tarp but it's temp I'd rather get it closed. I'm Broke As All Get Out and just for someone to look at it is 150 & that's not closing it. If it's totally shot replacement is $1500 - $2300.

Any help wud b great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 10:02 PM

129 posts, read 515,872 times
Default Needs greased or you have a broken slide...

Grease the tracks and slides with white lithium grease, or some quality chassis lube with a small 1/4" or less paintbrush, a check of you tube might shed some more light on how to do this. Chances are there is no lube left or what is there is very dry and caked. Happens a lot in dusty or dry climates, or with repeated use. Spray can of white lithium is under $5 at most auto stores, but be careful where you spray! Hit those hinges and hood latch as well, but be sure to check for any damaged slides or track sections before hand. If you do not know what they area have a mechanically inclined friend check the assembly first. Good luck!

Old 10-11-2013, 10:05 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,315,024 times
Dumb question, have you tried to assist, force it closed the rest of the way while pressing down the close/shut button?

I have had to "help" many power windows over the years by coaxing them the last few inches and almost taking off a finger or two in the process.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
Dumb question, have you tried to assist, force it closed the rest of the way while pressing down the close/shut button?

I have had to "help" many power windows over the years by coaxing them the last few inches and almost taking off a finger or two in the process.
Yeah when it gets to that 6-8inch mark it just shuts down, myself and Ford service guy tried it with no luck. It began hesitating shortly after getting here so I'll try the lube stuff see if it works, but can't keep letting car get soaked or other crud will start break down and I can't swing that right now.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrecc View Post
Grease the tracks and slides with white lithium grease, or some quality chassis lube with a small 1/4" or less paintbrush, a check of you tube might shed some more light on how to do this. Chances are there is no lube left or what is there is very dry and caked. Happens a lot in dusty or dry climates, or with repeated use. Spray can of white lithium is under $5 at most auto stores, but be careful where you spray! Hit those hinges and hood latch as well, but be sure to check for any damaged slides or track sections before hand. If you do not know what they area have a mechanically inclined friend check the assembly first. Good luck!
I'll give that a shot in am, kinda makes sense cause shortly after getting here it began hesitating so it may be dry and gunked up.

I got cardboard in space at moment can't let it continues to get soaked or something else will get messed up.
Thanks for advice, don't know anyone in area so gonna have to make do

Old 10-11-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post

Not trying to knock you in any way EC, but be prepared for the sound of breaking plastic and stripping out gears as the glass section breaks away from the track and slams shut only to let the rear constantly droop down and leak air and water into the car. A large hole in the roof should be treated VERY carefully, and sunroof components are not available individually from any car maker (really). Inspect and grease before attempting any other action. Again not trying to knock you, I have just learned the hard way with my first car and it's moonroof components made of unobtanium, deigned by the firm of Ultra Complication & Sons. Trashbag and duct tape covering until I got it figured out! Please inspect and grease before attempting any forced maneuvers on such a critical component.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docryan View Post
I'll give that a shot in am, kinda makes sense cause shortly after getting here it began hesitating so it may be dry and gunked up.

I got cardboard in space at moment can't let it continues to get soaked or something else will get messed up.
Thanks for advice, don't know anyone in area so gonna have to make do
Yeah just noticed you are in Colorado, just started to get cold. Lack of lube will stop it dead in it's tracks (pun not intended), most sunroof tracks are made of aluminum. A small piece of advice the sunroof glass is wider than the actual opening, look at the area underside of the outermost edges of the glass, you will most likely see where the black powder coating has worn away from the aluminum underneath, apply the grease there along the entire length of the run work the roof back and forth gently, using the switch only, all the way back to start with. The powder coating gets worn away when the slides drag across the track and shows as wear or bare aluminum. Clear any leaves or debris out of there as well. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Old 10-11-2013, 10:58 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,671,924 times
In some cars, there's a way to crank the sunroof closed manually. If so, there should be tool provided. The tool is usually rolled up with the lug nut wrench, and there will be instructions in the owner's manual.

If that's an option on your vehicle, try that before you try to force it closed in any manner.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Took ur advice watched YouTube video and a German guy shows how to recalibrate motor and clean gunked up tracks it's fairly easy which means it's gonna take me all weekend lmao.

Again many thanks now let's hope tomorrow is sunny like it's supposed to be

Old 10-12-2013, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Yeah just noticed you are in Colorado, just started to get cold. Lack of lube will stop it dead in it's tracks (pun not intended), most sunroof tracks are made of aluminum. A small piece of advice the sunroof glass is wider than the actual opening, look at the area underside of the outermost edges of the glass, you will most likely see where the black powder coating has worn away from the aluminum underneath, apply the grease there along the entire length of the run work the roof back and forth gently, using the switch only, all the way back to start with. The powder coating gets worn away when the slides drag across the track and shows as wear or bare aluminum. Clear any leaves or debris out of there as well. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Saw great YouTube video from a German with same car same issue and he takes u thru step by step plus he's German he's basically an expert LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln