Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 07:43 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,053,431 times

Advertisements

Need a car for traveling sales job, probably drive 20K miles/year so MPG and highway giddy up is a consideration. I have a family of 4 and would love a 3rd row. My wife drives a 2012 Highlander that's really nice but not so great on the MPG.

95% sure I'll buy used, 2011-2012 model with less than 25k miles on it. Hoping to spend <$23k.

Recommendations?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 07:51 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,147,815 times
As far as I know, the Santa Fe doesn't have a 3rd row option... yet. It's supposed to be available soon as a 2013 model, starting in Nov, so if you choose that model, you may have to wait. That would also require you to buy new. Your other option would be to buy a 2009 Santa Fe, where they still had the 3rd row available (it was dropped in 2010.)

I would definitely choose the Santa Fe over the Sorento. Kia isn't up to the level of refinement that Hyundai is yet, and their reliability record shows it.

The Edge... I'm not a Ford fan. But, if you drive it and it checks most of the boxes on your wish list, and you like the styling, go for it.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:56 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,192,969 times
Don't you get paid for your millage?

Old 10-24-2012, 08:35 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,923,766 times
With that kind of mileage, especially if you don't get reimbursed, get a new Prius for $23k. If you need AWD, get a Subaru Impreza rated 36MPG.

I'd also check out the Kia Sportage if you can get away with no 3rd row. I like the Kia line, good looking stuff and you don't see them everywhere.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Don't you get paid for your millage?
yes, I chose the mileage rate (about .50/mile) instead of the monthly allowance which was about $450 net.

So, if I drive 1500 miles/month, I'll get $750 untaxed.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
With that kind of mileage, especially if you don't get reimbursed, get a new Prius for $23k. If you need AWD, get a Subaru Impreza rated 36MPG.

I'd also check out the Kia Sportage if you can get away with no 3rd row. I like the Kia line, good looking stuff and you don't see them everywhere.

Sorry, but I wouldn't drive a Prius if it were free.....no offense

Old 10-25-2012, 08:52 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,356,003 times
my recommendation is to not get an SUV

barring that, I find the Hyundai to feel cheap inside for being expensive and the powertrain unrefined, I rented one for a week. the Ford is nice haven't spent a lotof time in one, I haven't been in the kia.

I could be wrong, but I don't think any of the 3 has significantly better mileage than the Highlander you have. you're looking at realively large SUVs.

If I had a travelling sales job then I would be looking at the Prius, possibly the V version that has a SUV like back. I'd also be looking at Diesels, like the Passat, and 4cyl sedans like the new accord. or look at one of the smaller SUVs, but even they don't really win the fuel economy crown.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:08 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,551,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Need a car for traveling sales job, probably drive 20K miles/year so MPG and highway giddy up is a consideration. I have a family of 4 and would love a 3rd row. My wife drives a 2012 Highlander that's really nice but not so great on the MPG.

95% sure I'll buy used, 2011-2012 model with less than 25k miles on it. Hoping to spend <$23k.

Recommendations?
Thanks
The Edge does not have a 3rd row. The Sorento does as an option. Not sure about the old Santa Fes.

We rented an Edge and I liked it but my wife hated it due to the headrests. Frankly, they aren't that cheap. Gas mileage is probably close to the Highlander. Years ago we test drove a Santa Fe and it was okay. At the time we liked the CRV better. Didn't buy either. The Sorentos are everywhere in Pittsburgh. They are a decent buy used. You can find a year old LX with AWD and the V6 in your budget or close.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:15 PM

929 posts, read 2,731,076 times
I have a 2012 Ford Edge as a company car. I will drive it 25 to 30K this year. It gets 23 MPG daily average. It is a big car, a lot of seat travel for tall drivers, also the rear seat has leg room, unlike most cars today.
I never really thought of an Edge. I am really happy and enjoy driving it. I dont consider it an SUV as it is not based upon a truck platform, I think a crosssover is the correct term. It is just a taller car IMO.
18K as of this morning and ZERO problems. Way to go FORD ! Also built in the USA and the profits from the purchase stayed in the USA.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider7811 View Post
I have a 2012 Ford Edge as a company car. I will drive it 25 to 30K this year. It gets 23 MPG daily average. It is a big car, a lot of seat travel for tall drivers, also the rear seat has leg room, unlike most cars today.
I never really thought of an Edge. I am really happy and enjoy driving it. I dont consider it an SUV as it is not based upon a truck platform, I think a crosssover is the correct term. It is just a taller car IMO.
18K as of this morning and ZERO problems. Way to go FORD ! Also built in the USA and the profits from the purchase stayed in the USA.
Good info on the Edge, thanks. My old co car was an Escape which I really disliked (but it was free so I can't complain too much) so maybe that has me leaning away from a Ford but I need to drive the Edge again and then drive a Santa Fe and Sorento on the same day to see how they feel.

Just curious, what do you sell?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive