Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 08:15 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,496,287 times

Advertisements

Hummm I dont honestly think my husband would even try to this...LOL unless someone was here talking him thru it..We want our son who is 17 to be safe but I still think 140 is a lot of money...and the fact he told him that he was missing a belt...oh well DH will take it to the guy he used for his breaks and did a great job and let him look at the car
thank you all for your replies they were really very helpful...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 08:46 PM

5,717 posts, read 19,103,070 times
Since there is no supercharger and obviously the mechanic was wrong, are you even sure it needs the single belt replaced? If the local dealership has a good reputation, I'd take it by there and have the service tech take a look at it. Here's the deal, it sounds like no male in yer family has a clue about cars- doesn't make them bad people, just don't know about cars. You need someone that sees this model car on a regular basis to put a set of eyes on it. It may need a belt and then it might not. It might also be a good thing to have them do a check up on the entire car so you have a clue what you bought. These were real good cars and it's common to see them properly maintained at 300,000 miles. Both of my sisters and a girlfriend had these cars and all went well over 250,000+ miles before they traded into other cars. But the key here is nobody in your family has a clue what you bought, otherwise, they'd be under the hood changing the belt which is about a 10 minute job for a moron and about a 3 minute job for an ASE tech. It takes an 18mm long box wrench, lifting the the tensioner spring, removing the old belt, threading the new one back on, lifting the tensioner again, putting the belt on the idler and releasing the tensioner- that's the job in it's entirety. I think you need to consider having the car gone over at the dealership and quit the guessing. Might cost you a hundred bucks for a full check up but at least then you have an idea of what needs to be fixed, if anything, and get it on a schedule to be fixed.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:56 PM

885 posts, read 1,892,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf4ever View Post
Here's your sign. No real or good mechanic would EVER change brake pads without replacing the rotors too or at least turning them (if they even can on that model). No one good would do that. That's shadetree mechanic wrenching there. It makes no sense to put a fresh pair of pads on a gouged or warped rotor. It will eat it up in no time flat.
Um, I beg to differ.

I'm driving a lexus where I have just replaced the pads, the rotors were fine and it would have been a waste of money to replace them. They do not shake or shudder at all.

Replacing rotors with every single pad change might be needed on lower quality rotors (ie. ford/chevy cheap ass rotors) but with Honda/Toyota/nissan there's no need to waste money like that.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Since there is no supercharger and obviously the mechanic was wrong, are you even sure it needs the single belt replaced? If the local dealership has a good reputation, I'd take it by there and have the service tech take a look at it. Here's the deal, it sounds like no male in yer family has a clue about cars- doesn't make them bad people, just don't know about cars. You need someone that sees this model car on a regular basis to put a set of eyes on it. It may need a belt and then it might not. It might also be a good thing to have them do a check up on the entire car so you have a clue what you bought. These were real good cars and it's common to see them properly maintained at 300,000 miles. Both of my sisters and a girlfriend had these cars and all went well over 250,000+ miles before they traded into other cars. But the key here is nobody in your family has a clue what you bought, otherwise, they'd be under the hood changing the belt which is about a 10 minute job for a moron and about a 3 minute job for an ASE tech. It takes an 18mm long box wrench, lifting the the tensioner spring, removing the old belt, threading the new one back on, lifting the tensioner again, putting the belt on the idler and releasing the tensioner- that's the job in it's entirety. I think you need to consider having the car gone over at the dealership and quit the guessing. Might cost you a hundred bucks for a full check up but at least then you have an idea of what needs to be fixed, if anything, and get it on a schedule to be fixed.
I will have my Moron husband take care of it and bring it to someone.. A friend of his recommended someone locally so the car will be heading there to be looked at..the car had 1 owner and is mint condition recent oil change recent tires rotated , New Roof a few years ago and custom paint job..and yes my DH does know some things about cars but he isnt a car guru and doesn't know how to fix the car mechanically but he does know a few things or 2 about Cars..We have always had/have new cars and have never owned a used car so yes this is our 1st, and have some things to learn but thank you for your advice....We paid a good price for it and happy with our decision...the car has 148k miles on it..

Old 05-11-2012, 10:35 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,352,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
Um, I beg to differ.

I'm driving a lexus where I have just replaced the pads, the rotors were fine and it would have been a waste of money to replace them. They do not shake or shudder at all.

Replacing rotors with every single pad change might be needed on lower quality rotors (ie. ford/chevy cheap ass rotors) but with Honda/Toyota/nissan there's no need to waste money like that.
Where they fine, or did the just "look" fine. If you arnt replacing them, they should at least be turned to make sure they are smooth

Old 05-12-2012, 12:14 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,694,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Yep $140 will buy a cheap tool set and a Chilton/Haynes manual. Small investment to save your self in the long run.
Yep... get it, and give it to your kid, and ask him if he wants his car to run and drive he better fix it.

Also tell him to search for mustang Forums.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Yep... get it, and give it to your kid, and ask him if he wants his car to run and drive he better fix it.

Also tell him to search for mustang Forums.
thanks Mustang...its in the mechanic as we speak...Interesting that the other place really just wanted to rip us off...This mechanic said this car is in such good condition for a 12 yr old car.....The roters are being turned, cut and break pads replaced only in front as the back still has another 35k before they need to be changed...The Serpentine belt def needs to be changed its all black with installation 80.00 bucks not bad The other mechanic said there was a leak this guys showed my DH under the car there was no leak, and DH gave him the print out of what he found and they did a whole diagnostic of the car and well needless to say he didnt find what the other guy did!!

Old 05-12-2012, 10:28 AM

169 posts, read 161,581 times
Quote:
Um, I beg to differ.

Even the "Toy" "Hammerhead" and "Nissy Nancy" mechanics know that.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:05 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,425,651 times
Quote:
Um, I beg to differ.

This might be the funniest, most obviously clueless posts I've ever read. Thanks for sharing, you made my day!

Old 05-14-2012, 07:15 AM

17,873 posts, read 22,718,148 times
[quote=Swimmom32;24271934]..The Serpentine belt def needs to be changed its all black with installation 80.00 bucks not bad [quote]

Ummm what color is the new belt? (hint: it too is all black).

Belts have to be changed when they are cracked, rotted.... color is not part of the equations. Serp belts are usually grooved on one side (inside) and flat on the out side. When you see cracks in the grooved side the belt is on its way out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln