Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 07:39 AM

6,776 posts, read 13,600,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gue View Post
So true! My son was orange as a toddler from all the jars of baby food that seemed to have a main ingredient of carrots.

Lilltle orange boy! Scary at the time!
That's from the beta carotene. The leftover beta carotene that your body can't use is deposited into your skin and it is orange. It's harmless. Actually if your baby turns a little orange that means he loves his veggies and it's a good thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 10:17 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,960,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
Everything is bad for you when consumming it too often. Even carrots. You eat carrots everyday, seriously your skin will turn to an orange tint (this is no joke either). Hell, too much iron in your diet can cause a form of anemia. Junk food everyday can cause obesity and weight problems.

Too much of anything can be bad for you. A rule of thumb.
Not to try to nit-pick, but yes... your skin/urine can turn an orange-y color from eating copious amounts of carrots. BUT it's not harmful for you to do so, it's just your body getting lots of beta-carotene.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:23 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,522,740 times
Yep. Moderation has always been prudent advice. That was before agriculture became an enormous business where they decided to heck with the people, cut the corners and make the millions.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:33 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,960,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
That's from the beta carotene. The leftover beta carotene that your body can't use is deposited into your skin and it is orange. It's harmless. Actually if your baby turns a little orange that means he loves his veggies and it's a good thing
I totally didn't mean to completely mimic your thread, I swear. I didn't see it. haha

Old 10-27-2009, 07:47 AM

259,024 posts, read 91,014,338 times
Did anyone stop to think what the good stuff like fruit and veggies people refuse to eat is worse than eating corn fed beef and all the other bad things we are told not to eat. If my grandparents had followed all this they would have live to be 150 instead of the 90's. Corn fed beef and canned tomatoes were staples for them. The only thing on the original list they didn't eat was the farm raised salmon. It was not available way back then. The led good lives eating so many different veggies and fruit that provided needed nutrients. I eat both fruit and veggies A-Z and my reasonable amounts of corn fed beef scares me not. The on again off again do this don't do that is a complete turn off to me. Bring on the collard greens and blackeyed peas with a pork chop and just let me alone.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:15 AM

10,193 posts, read 20,873,388 times
What the article fails to mention is that organic foods can be just as harmful for you as conventionally grown unless you can find pesticide-free. Organic pesticides used in organic farming are just as harmful as chemical pesticides, so just because you see an organic label it doesn't offer any additional health benefits unless it is "pesticide free".

There are canned tomatoes out there without the resin lining, however, they may have a slight tinny taste to them. It varies from brand to brand and the type of tomato.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:33 AM

12,973 posts, read 34,084,536 times
Good article. Ive always known about the milk though. I only drink organic milk or Alta Dena milk because they are hormone free.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:42 AM

6,776 posts, read 13,600,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Good article. Ive always known about the milk though. I only drink organic milk or Alta Dena milk because they are hormone free.
The milk at Target, their brand Market Pantry or w/e, is hormone free too.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:48 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,206,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
And did you see this under Corn-fed beef?

"Budget tip: (snipped) You can also buy direct from a local farmer, which can be as cheap as $5 per pound."

Holy Cow, indeed!
You can even get it CHEAPER... 2.49$ a pound here where I'm at.. and you don't have to buy the whole cow which can cost hundreds of dollars. (check with the local 4H clubs and your state ranchers to see if theres a minimum amount)
I prefer grass fed beef as its healthier/leaner for you. The meat is INCREDIBLE (bought from a local Rancher either corn fed or grass fed).
Also.. pigs are the same way.. buy from a local farmer.. CHEAPER and healthier.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:30 AM

24,510 posts, read 23,246,973 times
No canned tomatoes or canned beans means no chili, so forget that. I'm assuming the acid in the tomatoes leaches lead or mercury or something out of the steel of the cans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink