Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 07:56 PM

433 posts, read 964,245 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever returned bought Icecream to the store because they didn't like it?

my girlfriend seems to think it's ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 08:12 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Yep. Some Breyers one time. Tasted horrible and had a weird mouth feel. They knew I was serious because there was less than one scoop missing from the carton. 4 bucks is 4 bucks.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:20 PM

789 posts, read 640,476 times
Why not??

Old 08-25-2009, 05:37 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,592,650 times
I was just talking to my sister about this yesterday! She bought popsicles and when she got them home, it was obvious that they had been melted and refrozen (and the taste/feel was off). She thought I was nuts to suggest she return them or at least call to complain so they could pull the others off the shelf.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:49 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
Our supermarket would take it back in a heartbeat and dispose of it rather than have an unhappy customer.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:39 AM

859 posts, read 2,148,709 times
I guess it depends on how much you *tried* before you didnt like lol

Old 08-25-2009, 10:12 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Sometimes, when someone puts a frozen item in their shopping cart like a box of ice cream, a pizza, etc., they decide in another part of the store that they don't want it after all and ditch it on a shelf. Periodically, an employee will go around the store specifically to gather up items that are strewn about in the wrong place and reshelve them. If the ice cream was sitting there for who knows how long, it had a chance to get all the way melted. Depending on the store's management, the employee may just put the melted item right back so an unsuspecting customer can purchase it. They don't particularly care either way.

I have purchased a pizza at a store where they stand the frozen pizzas on edge in the display. Unbeknownst to me, it had experienced a bit of travel outside the freezer, and when they replaced it on its edge in the freezer, the entire pizza scrunched up in a wrinkled pile at the bottom. Because I had grabbed several boxes at the same time, I couldn't "feel" this anomaly.

Most common with ice cream is the texture change - if there is visible frost on the outside of the ice cream box, it is because somehow there was extended exposure to outside air temp and the product has been compromised. That's when you get that grainy "ice chips" feel instead of the usual smoothness of the ice cream. The ice cream melts and re-freezes, basically, and since the water content of the product freezes first (and thereby separates) you get the grainy ice crystals.

I would most definitely return a product I purchased at a grocery store that didn't have the quality it was supposed to. Just make sure you have your receipt, explain the problem, and tell them if you want a refund or a replacement. It isn't too complicated, and I would never return to a store where they refused to take a return or got rude with me for taking something back.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:43 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
If I bought a carton of ice cream in a flavor I'd never before tried and decided that I didn't like that flavor, that would be my mistake. I wouldn't return that.

I would return it if there were *anything* wrong with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evidence-is-key View Post
Has anyone ever returned bought Icecream to the store because they didn't like it?

my girlfriend seems to think it's ok.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 10,965 times
I had the refreeze ice cream problem also. At the local mom n pops market, the top freezer's ice cream was all melted. I informed an employee and he said he'd go check it out. OK. 4 days later I'm back again and among my purchases was a pint of ice cream. When I went to eat some, the texture was all icy, grainy and unpleasant. It turns out the melted ice cream from 4 days ago at the market was simply returned back to the freezer. Such bs on their part. Isn't there food health laws on things like this? Please let me know. Thx.

Old 10-04-2015, 02:58 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
+freezer cases do go on the blink,,, from electricity problems,,, to power outages, to leaving doors open enough the product will melt
to poor handling,,,unloading frozen food pallets from trucks and letting them sit in the back rooms too long..

just bring it back and say it looks thawed and re-frozen

happens everyday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink