Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 06:43 AM

1,315 posts, read 3,228,033 times

Advertisements

It seems like when I go to a nice hotel or someone's house and they have fresh, homemade cookies whether they be peanut butter, chocolate chips or plain sugar, they seem to taste more filling, richer and complex. After, I eat one, I'm pretty full. However, if I have cookie that was made using pre-made refrigerated cookie dough that you heat in the oven, often times it is sugary and you can't seem to just have one because it doesn't seem filling.

What causes this? Is it different ingredients?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 07:08 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Chemicals and preservatives take the place of butter, sugar, and flour.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:16 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
It's from eating real food, instead of pretend food.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:22 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It's from eating real food, instead of pretend food.
I think a lot of people don't know what real food means anymore. A mix of anything is not the same as a homemade anything. When I was growing up, at an early age we were all making homemade cakes - from scratch - totally, practically the minute we were on solids. A cake mix was a luxury. Then fast forward years later, a coworker at a place I was working brought in a cake for everyone to share. I asked her if it was homemade, and she said, yes.

I was amazed since she was not known for her culinary skills and then she added that it was a cake mix.

That made me chuckle to myself, because in my mind, a mix is never homemade.

Which, since I'm on the theme, there's a post about what happened to butter. Homemade butter tastes quite a bit different than bought butter. It gets very hard when it is refrigerated, but softens up much quicker than bought butter when left out. And there is nothing better than homemade butter on hot, homemade bread.

I get cream from the cheese factory and make my own butter.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:33 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,402,615 times
Homemade is made from the heart, not a factory. Gives ya the warm & fuzzies.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:09 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Pre-made dough is WAAAY to sweet for my taste.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:49 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,171,277 times
I used to work at a hotel that made those, and they were Otis Spunkmeyer cookies that came in premade frozen "pucks" that you cook in the special Otis Spunkmeyer oven.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Premade dough is often very synthetic. I dislike it (although we do buy fundraiser "tub o' dough" from time to time from neighborhood kids, coworkers' kids, etc.), because it often tastes chemical-laden and artificially flavored.

If you make cookies from scratch, you can use real butter, non-imitation flavoring agents, real fruit, nuts, high-quality chocolate, etc. I tend to bake totally from scratch. Premade doughs and mixes just don't cut it, especially once you've had something made from real, quality ingredients.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:15 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,489,531 times
i am no expert on nutrition, but from what i can see, using real butter will give the fat your body craves, and therefore you dont need as many cookies. humans need fat! use a bit of fat at every meal and your body will feel conforted and satiated.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:31 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i am no expert on nutrition, but from what i can see, using real butter will give the fat your body craves, and therefore you dont need as many cookies. humans need fat! use a bit of fat at every meal and your body will feel conforted and satiated.
ITA. The secret to eating is good food no matter what the fat content might be. I'd rather have a little helping of something good than a giant helping of food I don't really like. I never worry about calories. I burn them all off working on the farm anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink