Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 02:29 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times

Advertisements

chicken fried steak,,,is a cube steak , soaked in milk/white gravy flour tye coating and fried

quite the southern dish,,,,,a customer asked me this ,,,years ago - she told me what it was she was from the south

country fried steak,,,,

I think this is any steak smothered in white gravy,,,

both terms might be interchangeable,,

like thaw and unthaw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 02:42 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
We call pounded, floured and fried meat 'schnitzels'. Anything else is just pan fried or blackened.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:50 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
I think around here either cooking method could be described as country fried or chicken fried. Though the deep fry method is likely used more in restaurants. There's no differentiating between the two.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:51 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Around here, a chicken-fried steak is usually deep-fried.

The homemade version, cube steak dipped in a beaten egg and then coated in bread crumbs and pan-fried, is equally delicious.

I think the reason restaurants are more likely to deep fry is because it's faster and it makes the coating puff up more, meaning that a small piece of steak looks a lot bigger. Same reason that battered chicken is so common at the Chinese buffet.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:06 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
I didn't mention that "Chicken-fried" and "Country-fried" are both breaded/battered around here (I figured that was obvious). I say breaded/battered because some restaurants bread them and some batter them.

So, I guess the variations become...

Breaded and deep-fried
Battered and deep-fried
Breaded and pan-fried
Battered and pan-fried

The above without gravy
The above with brown gravy
The above with white gravy

Old 03-13-2015, 03:13 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,948,315 times
What I have learned over the years--

1--Chicken-fried is breaded/fried (pan or deep fried), & served with white gravy. It is one of the ubiquitous Texas dishes.

2--Country-fried is breaded/fried (pan or deep fried), & served with brown gravy. This is the version I saw most frequently in the South.

These are both traditionally made with cubed steaks. And Threerun--chicken-fried steak (in Texas, at least), is commonly believed to be a variety of schnitzel, brought by the huge German population that helped settle the Republic.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:17 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,353,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
What I have learned over the years--

1--Chicken-fried is breaded/fried (pan or deep fried), & served with white gravy. It is one of the ubiquitous Texas dishes.

2--Country-fried is breaded/fried (pan or deep fried), & served with brown gravy. This is the version I saw most frequently in the South.

These are both traditionally made with cubed steaks. And Threerun--chicken-fried steak (in Texas, at least), is commonly believed to be a variety of schnitzel, brought by the huge German population that helped settle the Republic.
Seriously, brown gravy in the south? Kinda surprised to hear that.

But all I know is I'm getting awfully hungry reading this thread!!

Old 03-13-2015, 03:21 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
And Threerun--chicken-fried steak (in Texas, at least), is commonly believed to be a variety of schnitzel, brought by the huge German population that helped settle the Republic.
Yup- we are quite German, lol. I make some really awesome venison schnitzels with a jaeger sauce.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:28 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
...This is the version I saw most frequently in the South...
It depends on the restaurant and which part of "The South." Some areas only have white gravy with fried items.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:30 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,408,008 times
different names same stuff

I always have called it chicken fried steak

white gravy = "country gravy"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink