Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 06:54 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,992,843 times

Advertisements

I know this is a strange thread topic...but I've been looking in recipe books, online, and asking people and I made my first attempt tonight. However the cube steaks I used had defrosted somewhat during the power outage 10 days ago and although I put them in a neighbor's freezer who was using a generator to power his freezer, they looked spotty in parts when I defrosted them tonight. I still cooked two to see what happened and I ate around the less attractive parts... (fingers crossed I don't hurl at 2 am.. ).

Anyway, I dipped them in milk then in an all-purpose flour mixed with some salt and pepper. They "looked" like chicken fried steaks when I was done, tasted sort of like I hoped they would...but weren't quite "it".
Any good Chicken Fried Steak recipes out there?
CelticLady changed my chocolate chip cookie recipe to hers and let me tell you...they make Mrs. Fields look like an amateur in comparison!
I got a flan recipe here that I did (though I have to say, although it came out exactly as predicted, I didn't care for it when I served it, though everyone else snarfed it up).
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 08:04 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,252,465 times
You used cube steak? Shame, shame!

When I lived in Texas I ate a LOT of chicken fried steak. I don't particularly care for white gravy, but there is nothing like a nice chicken fried t-bone.

While I do not have a recipe, I will recommend using a seasoned flour. It has salt & pepper already in it. Makes perfect breading & gravy every time. You find it in the flour aisle, but it comes in a box.

Old 01-30-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
You used cube steak? Shame, shame!

When I lived in Texas I ate a LOT of chicken fried steak. I don't particularly care for white gravy, but there is nothing like a nice chicken fried t-bone.

While I do not have a recipe, I will recommend using a seasoned flour. It has salt & pepper already in it. Makes perfect breading & gravy every time. You find it in the flour aisle, but it comes in a box.
LOL, I was raised on cube steak!!! Plus, they're cheap so I figured if I made a booboo... no big deal! I'll look for that seasoned flour! Thank you

Old 01-30-2007, 08:48 PM

464 posts, read 753,399 times
I have to tell you my first experience with Chicken Fried Steak. I was in Dallas on business and went out to eat with some friends, everyone ordered Chicken Fried Steak and raved about it, so I ordered it. I was eating it was good I wanted to make it at home and asked how do you get the chicken so brown. Ha ha ha! I really thought I was eating chicken. All them Texan's had a good laugh at this California girl.

MoMark did you ever have the chicken fried steak at Road Runners in Vegas? Really good.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreof3 View Post
I have to tell you my first experience with Chicken Fried Steak. I was in Dallas on business and went out to eat with some friends, everyone ordered Chicken Fried Steak and raved about it, so I ordered it. I was eating it was good I wanted to make it at home and asked how do you get the chicken so brown. Ha ha ha! I really thought I was eating chicken. All them Texan's had a good laugh at this California girl.

MoMark did you ever have the chicken fried steak at Road Runners in Vegas? Really good.
No! I ate at the Road Runners a couple of times off Eastern just north of the Eastern/215, on the east side of Eastern just beyond that nursery.
I'm pretty simple in my food tastes. I LOVE Denny's for example and I would spooge my shorts if I won a lifetime free pass for 24/7 access to IHOP!
I'm just trying to increase my cooking abilities. My meatloaf is the bomb...actually, it's better than that...it's the explosion after the bomb.
But I want to try simple things I can do at home and make for others when I invite them over too that they'll like and I won't be embarrassed by

Old 01-30-2007, 09:07 PM

That's the Road Runners we eat at, I don't live to far from there. My husband would eat a cheeseburger every day if he had his way.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreof3 View Post
That's the Road Runners we eat at, I don't live to far from there. My husband would eat a cheeseburger every day if he had his way.
I lived in Southfork, on the northeast corner of St. Rose Pkwy and Eastern and Ione was my turnoff. My house was two blocks down and around the corner, so I was close too
I could do a cheeseburger every day too.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:19 PM

We don't live in a development, Custom Home Pebble and Bermuda, off of Haven, over by the Enterprise Library. Our area is zoned rural preserve, so all the houses have to be on 1/2 acre or more. We have an acre been here 13 years, before Pebble was paved, and South Fork was developed. That is a nice area, I looked at houses over there for my sister.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:12 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,228,143 times
MoMark
I use buttermilk and double dip them!

Old 01-31-2007, 10:47 AM

431 posts, read 394,412 times
You first beat an egg in a bowl. Then add milk and beat with the egg. You dip the cubed steak in flour. Then dip the steak into the egg/milk wash, then back into the flour. Place in hot oil, salt and pepper to taste (add onion if you like it) and brown on both sides, turning them only once. Place lid on the skillet while 2nd side is cooking/browning - this keeps in the moisture and makes the coating just right. Serve with hot gravy made from the drippings in the pan, minus the excess oil. Brown the flour well before adding milk to avoid that "raw flour" taste in the gravy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink