Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 02:30 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,991,887 times

Advertisements

Well, thank you everyone. I combined advice with the pre-seasoned all-purpose flour (went shopping in the snow this afternoon!), bought a slightly higher grade of meat "eye of round steak tenderized", came home, fired up the Canola in a pan, and ten minutes later I had four chicken fried steaks ready to go! I already ate two...they were good! Now I know how to do it
Thanks very much! Dang, it's so easy too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 02:52 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,624,546 times
Actually, I'm fixin' to make some venison steaks, for supper tonight, along with mashed taters, a veggie, and some Sour Cream Butter Biscuits, (my son really likes these). And, using the egg & milk wash, and double-dipping in the flour is the best way to do it, in my opinion. Good eating!

Old 01-31-2007, 03:42 PM

110 posts, read 474,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannie View Post
You first beat an egg in a bowl. Then add milk and beat with the egg. You dip the cubed steak in flour. Then dip the steak into the egg/milk wash, then back into the flour. Place in hot oil, salt and pepper to taste (add onion if you like it) and brown on both sides, turning them only once. Place lid on the skillet while 2nd side is cooking/browning - this keeps in the moisture and makes the coating just right. Serve with hot gravy made from the drippings in the pan, minus the excess oil. Brown the flour well before adding milk to avoid that "raw flour" taste in the gravy.
This recipe is close to the "REAL" recipe that my mother made when I was growing up. One big difference...instead of dipping the steak back into the flour a second time, dip the steak into crushed saltine crackers then you end up with a "chicken fried coating" that is probably 1/4 inch thick. Also, use eye of round steaks that have been hand pounded so as to be tender, but not too thin.

Wow, I may have to go make some now....that is what I get for getting on line at dinner time.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:43 AM

36 posts, read 64,200 times
I used to live in Texas (10 years) and loved the chicken fried steak !
I got in the city of Whitehouse who advertized "second best CFS in texas"
Never found out who had better but was sure happy with theirs.
Still hunger for some that good!

Old 01-22-2012, 10:56 PM

160 posts, read 335,474 times
I have used Panko breading in the past instead of flour, it tastes so much better. I learned this from a Japanese restuarant owner. Now that I'm manly vegetarian I use morning star chicken pattys.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:40 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,911,903 times
I don't even add milk to the eggs, just dip them in eggs, then flour, and sprinkle with lots of garlic and onion powder, also Jane's Krazy mixed up salt and pepper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink