Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 10:47 AM

746 posts, read 2,176,804 times

Advertisements

Ok, those of you who have the luxury of having a convection oven in your kitchen, I really need your help. I'm trying to make my favorite cookie recipe and it is disastrous. I've resorted to just using the normal bake feature for now until I can get it figured out. I know it bakes faster, but it seems that it is browning things more too. Do I need to turn down the temperature? I don't have the oven manual as I am renting the house and they didn't leave it for me. Please help me so I don't ruin any more cookies.

The recipe I'm using calls for baking at 350 for 12 minutes. The cookies don't look like they are done at this point but they are, so the timing is very important in this recipe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 11:26 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
geekduo, I feel your pain. My oven has convection bake, convection roast and regular bake.
Bottom line..I never use convection bake, only regular. I use convection roast once in awhile and I'm usually happy with the result, however the problem is with timing. I have plenty of time to cook things and the convection tends to get things done too quickly, which throws me off.
For example, a turkey might come out looking good, but if I'm planning for it to be done in 4 hours and it's done in 2, how is this helping me? I don't know how to predict it.
As far as your cookies question...I don't have a clue.

Last edited by gentlearts; 12-18-2008 at 11:36 AM..

Old 12-18-2008, 11:28 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,250,037 times
g: what kind of a convection oven do you have and what kind of cookies are you baking? I do not bake, but I have checked my Convection oven cookbook and all of the cookie recipes they show has the temp. set at 300 degrees. Keep in mind that even though your oven displays 350-325-300, the control automatically reduced the temp. by 25 degrees.
The sugar recipe I am reading calls for baking the cookies 15-20 mins. at 300.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:38 AM

thanks for the responses
This is a frigidaire model that does not have the automatic conversion feature. Right now I am experimenting with 325 for 11 minutes. I only have 3 cookies on the sheet so I don't waste too many.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:39 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,418,792 times
I too have a convection oven that I never use even though it has an automatic conversion feature. I tried it when I first got it and really didn't see much difference only it didn't brown as well as the regular oven. I keep saying "I'm going to just use the convection oven" but I never do.
Let us know if you found any tips to bake the cookies
Good Luck.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:57 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,250,037 times
I use the convection oven often. Yesterday I made split chicken breasts with sliced bacon on top. I put the temp on 375, knowing it would be 350 so it would brown the chicken. I like the fact it cooks the meat more evenly. I did my T'giving turkey in it and it was the most delicious turkey we ever had, so moist.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:34 PM

Default Update on results

I had some success with reducing the oven temperature to 315 and decreasing the time to 9-10 minutes. I still didn't quite like it though as they browned just a bit too much and ended up with a slightly crisp exterior, which didn't suit these particular cookies. I still want to try the convection feature with other baked goods, but not for things that are supposed to be soft and chewy vs. crispy or flaky.

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it!

Old 05-13-2010, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 8,844 times
I have a convection oven and don't use anything else now. As for timing, I have just either reduced the temp by 20% or the cooking time by 20%. I love it. I cook whole chickens in there at 350 for 1 hr and 15 minutes. Golden brown and so juicy. I use a broiler pan, put the chicken on it so the grease goes into the bottom and not on the chicken. I also have cooked Pork Roast using the same pan. However, I cut about 6 small slits in the meat and jam in a garlic clove in each, then take about 2-3 pieces of bacon and wrap around the roast, cook at 350 for 1 hour! Awesome, makes you starve to death smelling it.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:49 AM

24,596 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekduo View Post
I had some success with reducing the oven temperature to 315 and decreasing the time to 9-10 minutes. I still didn't quite like it though as they browned just a bit too much and ended up with a slightly crisp exterior, which didn't suit these particular cookies. I still want to try the convection feature with other baked goods, but not for things that are supposed to be soft and chewy vs. crispy or flaky.

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it!
Try replacing some of the white with brown sugar.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:59 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
I had a convection/normal range and I never did get good results from the convection. I never knew when something was going to be done, and like OP, baking was a disaster. I would never get another one. I like the predictable old oven. I feel the same way about slow cookers, I never know how long something will take to cook, so just give me a covered pot and an oven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink