Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 02:20 PM

19,456 posts, read 27,916,217 times

Advertisements

We are just a household of two, and in our prior homes, we had one of those Maytag slide in stoves that had the full size oven on the bottom and the smaller full function oven on the top. I loved that thing, especially since we usually cook smaller items and I have a long time habit of heating the plates. So we used the small oven probably 80% of the time.

New house, this time with double convection ovens in the wall. So I've lost my little oven. Now I find that I'm heating up one of this big ovens for cooking a small pizza, roasting potatoes, wings or just heating plates. Clearly, it's a waste of energy, and it heats up the entire kitchen more than necessary.

So I'm thinking of getting a toaster oven. Never owned one before. It will need to go under a cabinet, so it needs to be well insulated so the heat coming off the toaster oven doesn't melt the under cabinet lights.

Is the convection toaster oven THAT much better than a regular toaster oven? Any brand recommendations? I've been reading that the Breville brand is well made, insulated and comes in a smaller size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 02:33 PM

3,606 posts, read 9,073,489 times
I do like having a toaster oven, especially in the summer when I don't want to heat up the whole house to roast some beets or bake a couple cookies. I'm also a big fan of Breville, have their coffee maker and slow cooker. When my old dinky Black and Decker toaster oven dies I do plan on the picking up the Breville, but I think the smaller one is not a convection oven. For me I do prefer the way convection cooks, it's just a better end result for evenness.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:39 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,540,794 times
Why NOT convection? I've got the cuisinart model. I use it almost daily, and have had it for at least 3-4 years now. It's very hot in summer here, so I avoid using the big oven almost entirely about 8 months a year. We are also a family of two.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:47 PM

20,971 posts, read 28,504,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Why NOT convection? I've got the cuisinart model. I use it almost daily, and have had it for at least 3-4 years now. It's very hot in summer here, so I avoid using the big oven almost entirely about 8 months a year. We are also a family of two.
I have the same one too but I don't use it in place of my oven unless I am cooking something small. I mainly use it to toast breads, bagels, waffles.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:01 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,751,226 times
I bought the Breville Smart Oven about 6 months ago. It's a convection toaster oven, and while it was significantly more expensive than a generic toaster oven, I absolutely do not regret this purchase. I've even talked 2 relatives into buying one. (This is also the model they have in the break rooms at my office. They definitely last, I know the ones at work get some pretty heavy use!).

The convection toaster ovens generally have a bigger footprint than a 'normal' toaster oven, which is the only downside, other than price.

I use mine all the time -- I live alone, and I find that I use it instead of my big oven all the time. It's especially nice in the summer when I don't want to heat up the entire kitchen just to cook something.

I certainly use it for normal toaster stuff - making toast, bagels, english muffins, etc. But I also use it to make dinner 3-4 nights a week, as well as for baking small batches of cookies or muffins. Since it's just me and I don't have a big family to cook for, it's nice to scale down recipes and make just 6 muffins.

it's also useful when I'm having company over for dinner, to give me that additional oven for cooking, especially if I have a few things that require a different temperature.

Here's some of the stuff I cook in my Breville:

- hot dogs & bratwurst (broil function, almost as good as cooked on a grill)
- small pizzas
- veggie burgers
- homemade single-serving casserole dishes of lasagna
- single serving dishes of creamed spinach (I make a huge batch and freeze individual portions)

It's also awesome for reheating leftovers.

If you're only planning to use a toaster oven to toast bread or bagels, you'd probably be okay with just a normal toaster oven. But if you want the flexibility to actually cook with it, go ahead and get the convection.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Why NOT convection?
Because it costs a good bit more, and seems to take up more space on the countertop. But reading the above is quickly convincing me to spend the money!

I didn't even realize these things had a broil option.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:44 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,908,712 times
Most toaster ovens are just glorified toasters and are only good for melting bread bags stored on top of them - they don't even toast bread well. However, a convection oven is an entirely different beast and is well worth the extra investment.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:59 PM

Okay then. Convection it is.

Any other brands that are smallish in size and well insulated that I should consider besides the Breville Smart Oven that IS a convection? At $249, it's pricey.

And now that I'm reading more about these things, do they ALL get hot on the outside? Especially concerned about the heat from the top of the unit.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 07-08-2013 at 04:14 PM..

Old 07-08-2013, 04:07 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,751,226 times
One last tip: I got mine from Amazon - it's a refurbished unit, and instead of $249, I think I paid less than $200.

I've also heard good things about the Cuisinart & Calphalon's version, so you might want to do a bit of research and read reviews on those. One of the main reasons I went with the Breville was because I already knew how to use it since it's what we have at work, and I knew that cooking times/temps would be consistent between work and home.

Hope you love it as much as I do!

Old 07-08-2013, 04:17 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,540,794 times
This is the newer version of the one I have, they made it even bigger! (Which is both a pro and a con).

Amazon.com: Cuisinart Convection/Broiler Toaster Oven Total Touch Touchpad Controls, Exact HeatTM Sensor and Automatic Shutoff: Kitchen & Dining

Mine is big enough for a Pyrex 9x9 to slide in easily, so I think about 11 inches wide.

Ooh and I've had it longer than I thought... Since 2006!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink