Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 06:29 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,880,122 times

Advertisements

This is a long cooking meat sauce (and I don't measure just eyeball).

Brown 1 lb. ground beef
Add 1 lg. onion chopped
3-4 cloves garlic diced/chopped
good dash red pepper flakes
about 3 T tomatoes paste
oregano
basil
salt/pepper
powdered sage
bayleaf
Stir well and cook a few minutes-Add
3 large cans San Marzano tomatoes
red wine (about 1 cup)
2 whole carrots (natural sweetner instead of sugar)
parsley
sausages (hot or sweet)
2 or 3 country spareribs (could substitute pork chops)
meatballs
rind of Parmesean cheese

Bring to slight boil and lower to a low simmer either uncovered or with lid cocked.
I cook mine at least 4 hrs.
Remove carrots and bay leaf prior to serving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 06:57 AM

68,353 posts, read 54,549,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
That sounds nice - it's a bit like a puttanesca sauce isn't it? You may have inadvertently re-invented something that already exists! I like your variation though - I think you've improved on it!
Pasta Puttanesca (Tart's Spaghetti) from Delia Online

I was devastated last time I ordered penne puttanesca in a restaurant - there were lots of whole anchovies and I could taste them properly. I really hate fish, so I had to leave the rest of it.

The story I've always heard about puttanesca sauce was that it stemmed from what was in the pantry and quickly prepared in the bordello.

My kitchen isn't in such an exotic setting but the principle's the same

I usually skim through the recipes in the Wednesday newspapers' food sections and combine the ideas I like and toss the one's I don't.

That's one of the great things about pasta, it's so versatile, you can combine virtually anything you like into a sauce and it's easy to keep a variety of things on hand to make a tasty meal in minutes.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:03 AM

Quote:
So is your bacon thinner then, and cooked to the point where it's rigid? Some people like it more cooked than others, but I like it just done until it's not translucent any more (ie cooked!). I cut all the fat off as well.

We can usually find it in thicknesses from quite thin up to a slice your own slab. I tend to like it crispy crumbly. I've seen some mentions recently where people have been baking it topped with brown sugar to produce what they call caramelized bacon, prbably what got me to thinking it might be interesting on ice cream

Old 05-01-2008, 07:19 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,237,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
We can usually find it in thicknesses from quite thin up to a slice your own slab. I tend to like it crispy crumbly. I've seen some mentions recently where people have been baking it topped with brown sugar to produce what they call caramelized bacon, prbably what got me to thinking it might be interesting on ice cream
Interesting - I might have to tell the OH about that - he's into weird food combinations. It sounds like it might be nice actually! Somehow...

Old 05-01-2008, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Interesting - I might have to tell the OH about that - he's into weird food combinations. It sounds like it might be nice actually! Somehow...

I know, it sounds weird but enticing at the same time. I remember seeing a recent blurb about a high end confectioner offering caramels sprinkled with sea-salt. The sweet/savory, hot/cold, creamy/crispy combination will no doubt linger in the back of my mind until I decide to try it, if nothing else it should give the old cholesterol numbers a good boost

Old 05-01-2008, 12:56 PM

16,223 posts, read 25,707,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
If i dont have time for homemade... the best "jar" sauce i've ever had is Trader Joe's, Organic Vodka Sauce. and only $2.99 a jar.

Where do you buy this jar sauce?

I`m going to make a homemade batch of sauce next time, but this would be nice to have for a quicky spaghetti dinner.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:13 PM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,237,474 times
Quote:
I know, it sounds weird but enticing at the same time. I remember seeing a recent blurb about a high end confectioner offering caramels sprinkled with sea-salt. The sweet/savory, hot/cold, creamy/crispy combination will no doubt linger in the back of my mind until I decide to try it, if nothing else it should give the old cholesterol numbers a good boost
Oh well if you like the sweet and savoury combination, try stilton cheese on chocolate digestives. Just thought...do you have either in the states? Oops!
Well if you do, it's good...

Old 05-01-2008, 02:16 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,071,476 times
Quote:
Oh well if you like the sweet and savoury combination, try stilton cheese on chocolate digestives. Just thought...do you have either in the states? Oops!
Well if you do, it's good...
O I love that! But on plain digestives, the choc would be toooo much for me! With a glass of port, mmmmm

You can get good stilton here, imported from Uk and jolly expensive!

Old 05-01-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
O I love that! But on plain digestives, the choc would be toooo much for me! With a glass of port, mmmmm

You can get good stilton here, imported from Uk and jolly expensive!

Is a digestive what we Yanks would call a cracker or

Stilton needs no explanation, good stuff!

Old 05-01-2008, 02:41 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,071,476 times
Quote:
Is a digestive what we Yanks would call a cracker or

Stilton needs no explanation, good stuff!
Digestives are a sweet wholemeal biscuit (a cookie to you ), baked crisp tho, not soft.

Mcvities are the main brand in the UK, pic on here Digestive biscuit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - every store has their own brand too.

They have a slightly salty flavour too...

Excellent for dunking!!!!

Top British tea and biscuit tips and behaviour here Mmmm nice

and humour here (essential viewing)
YouTube - Peter Kay - Biscuits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink