Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 02:59 PM

30,640 posts, read 18,235,725 times

Advertisements

I always have mayonnaise and relish on hand for sandwiches and when I'm feeling to cook up a potato salad; coconut milk, parboiled rice, canned beans, and chicken stock cubes for when I want to make rice and peas; seasonings of all sorts; some kind of snack item like fruit snacks or potato chips; etc. Nothing what I'd call too crazy or out of the ordinary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 03:08 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
Small, white beans in a can. It is way too much work to soak and cook dry beans. I like to add the small white beans to soups, tabouli and other salads. Typically I first rinse the beans under cold water because there's some kind of foamy liquid in with them in the can. Not sure what it is, but I get rid of it with cold water.
I make refried beans from dry pinto beans in the crock pot and I'm planning to make some bean soup the same way. If you put in the water and turn the crock pot to high for about 5 hours, the beans are done and tender. No real work needed.

Old 06-02-2019, 03:17 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,581,875 times
Baking supplies (flour, sugar, yeast, baking powder & soda, etc)
Canned tuna & salmon
dry beans & rice
spices
a little canned fruit

I keep a better stock in winter when we sometimes get iced or snowed in for a week or so.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:13 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Spaghetti sauce. Some soup like a beef stew. Tomatoes, okra, and corn are always in the pantry. I rarely use canned vegetables for anything. I hate the taste of most canned vegetables.

Old 06-02-2019, 08:54 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
In my opinion, frozen vegetables are pretty good. They lose some texture, but should maintain most nutrient value. Fresh is inevitably going to be better, but frozen seems to be a reasonable alternative.
Generally, studies have shown that frozen vegetables often contain more nutrients than fresh ones (at least from the grocery store) because they're frozen soon after picking. The produce at the store was usually picked before it was fully ripe, and loses nutrients during the shipping process.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:19 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times
Canned tomatoes and (horrors! don't tell) Lipton soup in a box. Other than that, my weakness is simmer sauces and Thai curry pastes. I have every curry paste Maesri puts in a can and Kitchens of India cashew cumin simmer sauce, Sharwood vindaloo, and of course canned coconut milk.

Does Ken's salad dressing count?

Old 06-03-2019, 04:44 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,084,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I'm not sure I'm understanding the question. Do you mean store bought as opposed to home canned or home jarred?

I do a lot of cooking, but some things are homemade and some aren't. I found a jar of tomato sauce I like and haven't been able to reproduce it, so I buy that from the store. But I make my own Caesar and blue cheese dressings and my own teriyaki sauce because I like mine better. I can bake bread, but it's easier to buy it. I also like Hamburger Helper, so I'll buy that once in a while.

I don't especially like cake, so I never buy or make any, and if I want cookies I'll make my own, same as I make my own cheesecake. I love making my own butter from cream, but that gets really expensive, so I buy butter in the store.

Otherwise, I keep some powdered beef and chicken broth, cans of tuna, store bought bread crumbs, some liquid smoke, lemon and lime juice, sometimes a can or two of soup on hand.

Right now I don't really have anything but meat in my freezer: 8 pounds of hamburger, a couple pounds of pork, some chicken breasts, frozen shrimp in a 2lb bag, 5 pounds of bacon, and I used the ham tonight with the potatoes. Once in a while I'll buy a frozen pizza, but I think Round Table is much better than anything in the stores. I don't usually have any frozen dinners or vegetables in the freezer. If I want fruit or veggies, I'll go to the Farmers Market and get them there.

OK, I forgot, I have Freezer Jam in the freezer right now, although I've made my own jam in the past. And occasionally I'll buy frozen blueberries.
Do you commercially produce canned/jarred goods at home?

Old 06-03-2019, 08:46 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Canned beans, broths, tomatoes in cardboard containers....a few canned soups.
No canned vegetables except the beans. Frozen peas, spinach, okra...otherwise I buy fresh.

Two items that people will frown on...packaged Lipton noodle soup (takes 5 min) and Rice a Roni, a certain flavor flavor....been addicted to that for years.
Panko, dressings, multiple Asian sauces although I also make my own.

Spaghetti sauce, jarred pimentos and artichokes, olives.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
How did the OP's question morph from "commercial" to "processed" so quickly? Tyson chicken is commercial, my aunt's cellar shelf full of home-made pickles is processed.
very easily: you are taking his words too technically I think. Most of us realize he is referring to processed.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Generally, studies have shown that frozen vegetables often contain more nutrients than fresh ones (at least from the grocery store) because they're frozen soon after picking. The produce at the store was usually picked before it was fully ripe, and loses nutrients during the shipping process.
From what I have heard and read you are 100% right. I will add though, in my opinion regardless of slightly more nutritional value frozen does not have the flavor or same texture as fresh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink