Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2018, 12:02 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,520,058 times

Advertisements

It's interesting reading what people keep in their pantries. Kind of like sneaking a peek into the medicine cabinet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 09:54 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,622,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It's interesting reading what people keep in their pantries. Kind of like sneaking a peek into the medicine cabinet.
This reminds me, maybe I need to clean both of them out before someone takes a closer look.

Old 09-15-2018, 12:15 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,520,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This reminds me, maybe I need to clean both of them out before someone takes a closer look.
Ha! I actually made an inventory of what is in my pantry this time around and posted it on my fridge, along with the fresh and frozen foods I have on hand. I'm typically pretty good about using up ingredients before they spoil, but because my goal is to eliminate all food waste from my kitchen, I decided to keep even closer track of things. Since others have included their pantry lists, I'll put mine here, too...

Grains/pseudo-grains: rolled oats, pin oats, quinoa, brown rice, Arborio rice, pearl barley, farro

Beans/pulses: cannellini beans, lentils, garbanzo beans, black beans

Pasta: couscous, farfalle, orecchiette, spaghetti, elbow macaroni

Nuts/nut & seed butters: almonds, walnuts, pepitos, peanut butter, tahini

Dried fruits: sun-dried tomatoes, dates

Canned: tomatoes, hominy, chipotle peppers in adobo, pumpkin, tuna

Baking: all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, white sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar, cornstarch, cornmeal, kosher salt, maple syrup, vanilla, cocoa powder

Oil/vinegar: balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, grapeseed oil, EVOO, too many bottles of hot sauce

Packaged: corn tortillas, bread

Spices: Maldon salt, black peppercorns, cayenne, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, garam masala, smoked paprika, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, Aleppo pepper, sesame seeds, bay leaves, chili powder, lemon pepper, dried Italian herbs

Beverages: tea

Last edited by randomparent; 09-15-2018 at 12:26 PM..

Old 06-01-2019, 06:08 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,116,986 times
Default What commercially produced products do you keep on hand?

Other than condiments, what's in your pantry, refrigerator and Freezer? I keep canned tomatoes, canned beans, some canned soups as ingredients, some packaged seasoning, frozen peas and corn, filo and puff pastry, Dim Sum wrappers and fresh pasta (tortellini mostly). How dependent on these foods are you for meals.

Old 06-01-2019, 07:03 AM

9,570 posts, read 14,548,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
Other than condiments, what's in your pantry, refrigerator and Freezer? I keep canned tomatoes, canned beans, some canned soups as ingredients, some packaged seasoning, frozen peas and corn, filo and puff pastry, Dim Sum wrappers and fresh pasta (tortellini mostly). How dependent on these foods are you for meals.
Not sure what you mean by "commercially produced". Isn't anything you buy with money - including food that you yourself don't pick from the ground or off a tree - "commercially produced"?

Perhaps you mean "industrially processed"?

I wonder to what extent are frozen frozen corn, peas and vegetables are industrially processed.

I also wonder whether "fresh" pasta is more industrially processed than regular dry box pasta. To be sure, "enriched" (actually impoverished) white pasta is industrially processed, but perhaps whole wheat pasta less so.

I buy dry flours (unbleached, organic, many whole grain) and grains (e.g. rice, quinoa, millet) in bags.

I try to avoid anything canned and usually buy dry legumes and soak them, then in a pressure cooker or slow-cooking pot if soft enough.

But I do buy and store things like ketchup, mustard, various herbs and seeds, vegetable oils (highly industrially processed), bread crumbs, pancake mix (I could make my own from scratch), yeast (I can and do cultivate my own), and intermittently fried/baked snacks like potato chips, plantain chips, and pretzels (I can and do make big soft pretzels at home from scratch, but not the hard, small, crunchy ones), and instant coffee, all industrially processed to some degree or other.

Old 06-01-2019, 08:14 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,622,990 times
I have to admit I am one of those who are always claiming I cook only from scratch and use mostly fresh everything, but in all honestly, I have to admit, when I look in my pantry I realize how many processed foods I do use. I use canned soups for cream sauce sometimes, keep a few cans of soup on hand for spoiled brat when I am not going to be home at lunch time. We keep little servings of pudding, both as a snack and as a sauce for fruit salad. Also canned tomatoes, Tuna, salmon, maybe canned beans, and corn. Also condiments, artichoke hearts, and yes, even packaged rice mixes and reman noodles. I still do cook mostly from scratch and about the only processed food in our freezer is a couple of pizzas. The processed or canned foods we do use we use rarely but I would be lying if I said "never"

Old 06-01-2019, 08:24 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,205,427 times
Canned tomatoes, beans, pasta, chicken broth, tortillas, butter.

I purchase meat rather than butcher it. I purchase most vegetables seasonally, although I will occasionally purchase frozen.

Most of the rest I make myself. I bake about 1/2 the bread I eat, I make all of the soups I eat, all of the baked goods, all of the sauces.

Basically I avoid the frozen food section of the grocery store, the prepared foods section, and most of the center aisles. Probably 80% of what I eat comes from the outer sections.

Old 06-01-2019, 02:26 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,880,946 times
Too many to list. I hate shopping and always have a full pantry.

Old 06-01-2019, 02:39 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,510,939 times
Canned tomatoes and beans for sure. Also canned tuna, salmon and sardines, molasses, a few frozen veggies, cream cheese, almond and peanut butter and jam, bread, English muffins, smoked sausages, salami, bacon, ice cream, cooking oil and vinegars, rice cakes and snack crackers, chocolate bars, seasoned salt.

There are probably more. DH buys soup, but I never use the stuff for myself.

Old 06-02-2019, 02:21 AM

845 posts, read 1,360,876 times
I have started to gain little things more and more. My little pantry is pretty stuffed, which is good. Here's a basic list i try to keep in the pantry.

Bags of assorted dried beans; red, black, white, and brown. You never know when chili can be made!
Tomatoes, whole peeled and tomato paste.
Tinned food: fish, chicken, salmon, spam, and Vienna sausages.
Canned veggies; corn, peas, carrots.
Soups, usually cream of... (Cream of bacon is a new house favorite).
Grains; rice, lentils.
Baking; sugar, unbleached flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, powered chocolate.
Liquids; olive oil, vegetable oil, avocado oil; balsamic, apple cider, white and red wine vinegar/cooking wine.
Assorted bread like torts, Flatbread and wheat bread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink