Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 12:07 AM

947 posts, read 1,464,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
This is why I use paper towels. I agree a little dirt never hurt anyone; however, I now do a lot of cooking for my elderly parents who have compromised immune systems so I am fanatical about avoiding contamination.

The wet dish towel used to wipe down the counters and then draped over the faucet has always skeeved me and I just told my parents and my sister who cooks for them also they are forbidden from that practice anymore lol.
You can decon that dish towel by cooking it in a pot on boiling for 15 minutes. It will kill any mold, mildew, bacteria, germs. Just do that after every cooking session. You can do the same for your sponges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 02:50 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,401,990 times
Agreed, if they're going to use towels like that, they should replace them every hour or so. Otherwise the guests at the later services are eating the germs off of that towel. As for hands, some hands on food on TV are grubby and disgusting looking. And that's on TV. Gloves are good as long as they realize that if they touch something dirty with gloved hands, they need to replace them. The gloves are to protect the food from contamination, not to protect their hands.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Agreed, if they're going to use towels like that, they should replace them every hour or so. Otherwise the guests at the later services are eating the germs off of that towel. As for hands, some hands on food on TV are grubby and disgusting looking. And that's on TV. Gloves are good as long as they realize that if they touch something dirty with gloved hands, they need to replace them. The gloves are to protect the food from contamination, not to protect their hands.
Gloves as well as hairnets aren't required like people think anyway. Gloves in fact are worse to use then bare dirty hands when handling cooked food or meats due to contamination aspects as well as the latex potentially melting and getting in the food.

Usually when you see gloves unless it's the person doing salads as the law requires and in a place like a soup kitchen where people have not undergone food safety courses and health checks to make sure they don't have typhoid, you may want to stay away because it's a sign that the chefs don't care about their hygiene practices and are just using the gloves to look less nasty to the uneducated.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:30 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,091,772 times
If you ever worked in a restaurant kitchen, you would see a lot of things like dirty rags, vegetable with mold, meat which is on the verge of spoiling, cooks messing with their hair or nose, smoking, coughing, spitting, etc. Not to mention the tactics of some cooks/chefs when someone sends their food back for additional cooking or other problem. Some of you would never want to eat at a restaurant again. So, the dirty rag is just one small item of concern in my book.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:58 AM

194 posts, read 306,319 times
As I tell my family .. "there's a reason we pray over our food!"

Old 02-21-2014, 09:48 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
Even worse is when I see towels draped over the cook's shoulder. ewwww gross unless he is completely bald headed. I thought hairnets were required when food is prepared for public consumption. It should be.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Even worse is when I see towels draped over the cook's shoulder. ewwww gross unless he is completely bald headed. I thought hairnets were required when food is prepared for public consumption. It should be.
No it's not. Hairnets are only required when once again food preppers, chefs etc have not taken food safety courses and been tested for certain diseases such as typhoid, salmonella etc.

Hairnets are a sign of a place you should stay away from if it's not a soup kitchen were it's staffed by volunteers.Meaning not paid employees who are supposed to be trained and supervised by the state health dept.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:39 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d from birmingham View Post
........ Hairnets are only required when once again food preppers, chefs etc have not taken food safety courses and been tested for certain diseases such as typhoid, salmonella etc.
How does a food safety course and disease testing prevent hair from falling off your head and onto the food?

Old 02-21-2014, 11:00 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,379,266 times
Default According to the FoodSafe course I took, that rag is..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Cooking shows are my favorite viewing on tv, one idiosyncrasy/observation i see is just about all chefs have a rag hanging off their belt line, i see them constantly using the rag to clean their hands,clean small spills,wipe off cutting boards and then use the rag to wipe the edges of plates of food before delivery to the customer , seems a rather unsanitary practice..
That rag is a big no-no, no matter what Emeril Lagase is doing with it.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
How does a food safety course and disease testing prevent hair from falling off your head and onto the food?
Simple you learn how to comb your hair properly so you don't have loose hair. Women tie their hair into pony tails or other hair cuts for the male and female. You also learn to wear hats and caps. Chefs hats exist for a reason. Keeps hair from falling into the food and keeps sweat off the face.

The facial hair is trimmed and often run through with an appropriate comb so any loose hairs are removed before service.

99% of the time it's a customer's hair in the food. Not the chef or the servers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink