Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 04:26 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,282,411 times

Advertisements

Tonight it is chicken and bows with a big salad with fresh tomatoes from the garden. YUMMY

Old 08-12-2008, 04:34 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,627,821 times
We finally got around to making the one pan fiesta. Link sausage, whole kernel corn, onion, cabbage all stir fried in smart balance with a TBS of butter for more flavor along with a red ripe tomato wedged on the side. Still have a little triple chocolate ice cream for dessert. Maybe next time I'll add some Fino to see if that works any magic.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:41 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,319,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivedoyle View Post
I don't know what happened. I must have pressed a wrong button. I think I fixed my mistake. I was part owner of a Mexican restaurant a long time ago, all my recipes are from my partner's grandmother, a little old Mexican woman.
And let me tell you--her restaurant was the hottest thing in town for many years! Very popular and the food was the best!! I had totally forgotten about that until she mentioned it the other day. I for one will copy and paste any recipes you have to share olive!!!!! Oh my---here I go--yummy!!!

Old 08-12-2008, 04:57 PM

48,146 posts, read 22,013,215 times
I will definately give it a try,,,,how can I go wrong with pork, cilantro, garlic and beer. I am surprised there isnt any tomato or chili in there.....but.....I am absolutely no expert on sw cooking. I live out there for 5 years....but my transplant never took. Too much of a yankee I suppose.

But I did really like carnitas and carne asada.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:03 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,269,134 times
We went "into town" this morning and ended up at Sweet Tomato's for a linner/dunch.

I'm still full.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:34 PM

14 posts, read 21,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I will definately give it a try,,,,how can I go wrong with pork, cilantro, garlic and beer. I am surprised there isnt any tomato or chili in there.....but.....I am absolutely no expert on sw cooking. I live out there for 5 years....but my transplant never took. Too much of a yankee I suppose.

But I did really like carnitas and carne asada.
You can add any spice your heart desires. This was just my basic recipe.
you can also, once it's done and pulled - a little oil in a large saute or frying pan, chopped onions. chopped jalapenos, cilaranto, stir until onions are close to done - add the carnitas and stir together until carnitas are crunchy.
also delicious

Old 08-12-2008, 06:06 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,192,306 times
We just got back from the fine Delaware beaches, traveling the back roads and stopping at several roadside farmer's stands.

Corn on the cob with butter, fresh sliced tomatoes, Bush's baked beans (not from Delaware), and a delicious cantalope.

Bread of course to sop up all the good stuff and sweet iced tea

Old 08-12-2008, 06:56 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,338,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
MWBookworm, I have to ask. What's a CSA box??
CSA stands for Consumer Supported Agriculture, which is a big program in south-central Wisconsin. Basically, an individual or family "buys" a share in a farm, and they get a portion of the farm's harvest throughout the season. There are over thirty CSA farms in this area, and each has sort of their own areas of specialization. One does a lot of heirloom beans, one does mostly traditional vegetables, several do a mixture of fruit and vegetables, and many are certified organic producers. People pick a farm to join based on what they specialize in, how long the share season runs, cost, and pickup locations.

Another part of the CSA experience is that share-holders get to visit their farm and get a better idea of what it means to be a farmer. Our CSA farm puts on several big events over the season: a strawberry-picking day in June, a barn dance in July, a pumpkin-picking day in September or early October, and an annual meeting. They also welcome CSA members who want to camp on their land. Many CSA members also get involved in volunteering with their farm.

Of course, when you buy a share in a farm, you're investing in their season, and just like any investment, there are no guarantees. When your CSA farm has a bumper crop of sweet corn, you live large on the bounty. But when they get clobbered with a 12-inch rainfall in a single day, washing out 50 or 60 acres of crops, you also share in the meager boxes that follow the catastrophe. We've experienced both extremes with our CSA farm.

Our regional CSA coalition has a website, here: MACSAC Home which goes into a lot more detail than I can here. But if you live in an area that has CSA farms, I strongly endorse them as a way to give your food dollars straight to the people who produce it, and enrich your connection with the origin of your food at the same time. And you get to experience all sorts of interesting foods that you've probably not only never eaten before but maybe never heard of: amaranth, nettles, sunchokes, burdock root, and a whole host of other things.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:03 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,338,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
For all of you I couldn't personally rep.........thank you for your positive thoughts and wishes! I got the job....and will now be teaching dance and fitness/conditioning at an IB high school....starting Monday!!

Going out to dinner to celebrate!
Woo-hoo and hooray! Congratulations, HighlandsGal, and I so hope that this job proves to be all that you dream of!

Old 08-12-2008, 07:48 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,213,695 times
Congrats HighlandsGal, way to go.

Evening all, tonight for late dinner, baked potato, hamsteaks, veggie on side. Hope everyone has a good evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.