Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2008, 07:39 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,272,735 times

Advertisements

I don't own a crock pot anymore, but think about it on occasion. My mom (who isn't a great cook, but don't ever tell her I said so) once put a smoked ham in the crock pot and let it go all day. Man, that was one of the tastiest hams I've ever had! And I'm not a big ham fan. It was so tender and tasty and she said the broth that comes from it makes a terrific soup.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:47 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,861,348 times
Being we're just 2 and retired I really don't have a need for a crockpot. But can see it's value when you have a busy family and/or work outside the home.

When we first looked at homes out here tho-one we viewed had something so delicious smelling cooking in the crock-almost invited myself for dinner.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:49 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,519,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Seems like half the crock pot dishes I have had are over cooked meat in mushroom soup/onion soup.....the other half at pot lucks have pineapple and marschino cherries....or are over-cooked pasta. I think I will stay witht the dutch oven.
Like anything, it depends what the cook puts in it! Many crock pot cooks are drawn to the convenience of turning it on and walking away, so they are also drawn to convenience recipes that involve opening and dumping a bunch of cans.

I use the crock pot for its slow-cooking abilities and the fact that it heats up my house less in summer, for the most part. I'm not a "cream of" cook so my crock pot stuff is probably nothing like the stuff you've had at potlucks.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:44 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,191,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I brought home some extra lobsters from work last night. So today I made some lobster and broccoli fried rice. I squeezed a little lemon on top before serving.
BTW I used to work as a waitress about 15 years ago. Recently, I got a job in the catering department of a seafood restaurant just to make some extra money for house repairs. I forgot about the side benefits of being fed well on the job. So... for those foodies on a budget, I recommend getting a part time job at the right restaurant or caterer!

Old 08-11-2008, 10:02 AM

48,159 posts, read 22,020,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Like anything, it depends what the cook puts in it! Many crock pot cooks are drawn to the convenience of turning it on and walking away, so they are also drawn to convenience recipes that involve opening and dumping a bunch of cans.

I use the crock pot for its slow-cooking abilities and the fact that it heats up my house less in summer, for the most part. I'm not a "cream of" cook so my crock pot stuff is probably nothing like the stuff you've had at potlucks.
I know that I was maligning some really good cooks and crock pots, and I am not against them or even an occassional cream of mushroom soup recipe....I just don't want my pot roast to taste like my chicken to taste like my pork etc.

I am still interested in the crock pot....not ruling it out.

elston

Old 08-11-2008, 12:37 PM

485 posts, read 1,314,586 times
Talking Chowder for the Chow Hound!

Planning a clam chowder tomorrow with cream and two types of pots. White wine and butter, parsley and garlic. Chopped onion as well as a little bacon.

Mouth watering and um um good!

Old 08-11-2008, 12:56 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,272,735 times
Well, DH wasn't hungry last night, so I ate the last stuffed pepper and we'll probably have the 'sketti w/meatballs and sausage tonight.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:11 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,251,606 times
Elston, I have 3 crock pots in different sizes and I am going to buy another one. For me they are invaluable. I make the most sensational Rump pot roast in it. First I brown all four sides in the cast iron skillet, then I simmer it all day with beef & chicken broth, fresh garlic poked in all the sides, with sliced onion. When it is done I put the roast in a corning ware and put in the fridge for the next day. Gravy goes into a jar. The next day, I slice the roast paper thin, slicing it cold makes it so easy, discard the fat, and thicken the gravy. Absolutely delicious.
For the holidays, I will make chicken tortellini soup with little meatballs, my guests serve themselves from one of the crockpots.
2 wks from now I am catering at a restaurant for 50 employees (Italian food) at a Steakhouse lol. I will bring one of my crockpots full of red gravy (spaghetti sauce) and they will serve themselves.
Oh and yes, to make my life even easier, Reynolds has crockpot liners, I don't even have to clean the pot.
I always make my gravies myself so everything that comes out of the crockpot tastes like it supossed to.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:17 PM

48,159 posts, read 22,020,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
Elston, I have 3 crock pots in different sizes and I am going to buy another one. For me they are invaluable. I make the most sensational Rump pot roast in it. First I brown all four sides in the cast iron skillet, then I simmer it all day with beef & chicken broth, fresh garlic poked in all the sides, with sliced onion. When it is done I put the roast in a corning ware and put in the fridge for the next day. Gravy goes into a jar. The next day, I slice the roast paper thin, slicing it cold makes it so easy, discard the fat, and thicken the gravy. Absolutely delicious.
For the holidays, I will make chicken tortellini soup with little meatballs, my guests serve themselves from one of the crockpots.
2 wks from now I am catering at a restaurant for 50 employees (Italian food) at a Steakhouse lol. I will bring one of my crockpots full of red gravy (spaghetti sauce) and they will serve themselves.
Oh and yes, to make my life even easier, Reynolds has crockpot liners, I don't even have to clean the pot.
I always make my gravies myself so everything that comes out of the crockpot tastes like it supossed to.
That all sounds wonderful.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:20 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,660,452 times
I'm making buffalo legs, baby limas, brown rice with mushroom gravy. Iced tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink