Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2008, 04:34 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Guys, I'm soo tired, I was still watching the clock last night at 2 AM.

Now I'm sorry that I thawed 14 costco shrimp in the fridge overnight!

I had had plans of making a lovely pasta with veggies and a buttery sauce, but right now that sounds awfully hard.

what do you think, shrimp cocktail? I have ketchup and horseradish.
Do it! I'll be over at seven.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:57 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Sometimes, salad is the very best thing you can have. And good for you, too. I plan on having some a little later this week. It's alright, you know.

I think it's the chance to play with fire I miss when salad is the menu

Old 04-28-2008, 05:00 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
If you remember Ovaltine, you must remember that Egg Nog one you mix with milk. I used to love that stuff!

I'm definitely old enough but I don't remember Mom ever bringing that home from shopping, she was probably afraid I'd be raiding the liquor cabinet to spike it

Old 04-28-2008, 07:17 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,159,358 times
Elston I'm curious. Your partner has to have rice every day? What kind of rice does he like? Do you make it in a rice cooker or those boil in a bag deals or the microwavable pouches? You haven't been able to convince him to try one of your favorites some times? LOLLLL I'm just kidding although it does seem kind of boring to have rice ALL the time, although my BF is right behind your partner.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:20 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,159,358 times
Oh Ovaltine. I remember that. Every now and then I see it in the supermarket shelves and I almost feel like grabbing a container. Is that stuff fattening? It didn't matter a thousand years ago when I was 98 lbs. but N O W?????

Bosco! I remember Bosco. I loved it. I was a chocolate milk drinker when I had milk. Otherwise, no milk if no chocolate.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:45 AM

8,893 posts, read 4,543,266 times
Good morning, hope everyone is well. Kinda of a gloomy day here, so it is going to be pot roast, potatoes and carrots. Have a great day all.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:03 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,965 times
Default What's for dinner tonight?

Wish I knew.

I have (4) meaty chicken breasts that need to be cooked. So, here's the challenge:
  • no grill here at the house right now
  • had pasta last night, so parmagiana is out
  • did the Lipton's onion soup/mushroom deal with the chicken the end of last week, so too soon to repeat the one
Suggestions? Please?

In the meanwhile, I'm going to scroll-through/search the thread.

Forgot to mention what's in the pantry and/or fridge, to help: plenty of fresh spinach, bacon, gorgonzola cheese, kiwi, grapes, onions, already-diced bell peppers, baking potatoes, canned tomatoes, black and green olives, pickles (bread and butter, and hot, spicy), and the usuals like milk, eggs, some cheeses, nice bottle of white wine. Maybe if I open the wine now, it will inspire me? or I can drink myself into a stupor, and forget dinner?

Last edited by RDSLOTS; 04-29-2008 at 07:07 AM.. Reason: list of ingredients

Old 04-29-2008, 07:08 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,849,768 times
How about chicken corden bleu?

Pound breasts and layer with a slice of ham and slice of swiss cheese. Roll up-tucking ends in. Dip in egg mix, roll in breadcrumbs, brown in frying pan. Mix can crm mushroom soup with sherry, pour over, cover and cook on low.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:10 AM

48,128 posts, read 22,002,483 times
Smile Feeding my guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Elston I'm curious. Your partner has to have rice every day? What kind of rice does he like? Do you make it in a rice cooker or those boil in a bag deals or the microwavable pouches? You haven't been able to convince him to try one of your favorites some times? LOLLLL I'm just kidding although it does seem kind of boring to have rice ALL the time, although my BF is right behind your partner.

He doesn't HAVE to have rice everyday.....but he sure likes it and will always eat some if its there; We do have a japanese rice cooker and I make 3 cups of raw rice every day and a half.....not always but more often than not. We have rice with most cooked breakfasts... or we might have a bowl of rice a salad and a fried fish.....for a late night snack he is apt to have green tea over a bowl of rice.... or pour a little green tea into the empty rice bowl to get the last few grains of rice stuck on the side of the bowl....don't waste it! We make short grained rice, it is much much easier to eat with "chop sticks" or "hashi".

I found out while in Japan that there is a real difference in the taste of rice depending on where it was grown. His aunts grow their own rice and when they came to visit, they brought bags of rice to sustain them while away from home.....it was really delicious.

Japanese people dont put soy sauce on their rice, and they don't butter it. It is usually served in a seperate bowl...altho we get away from that tradition here. The only time I see it with food over it in Japan, is in a bowl of curry....served like a gumbo.

He will try my potatoes especially now we are in Maine (maine potatoes have so much more flavor than the ones we got out in California) and he will have mac and cheese....but if there is rice available.....he will also have rice. He doesnt have rice with spaghetti!

If he has gone a day without any rice....seldom happens....he doesnt feel right and sometimes after eating out or at another persons home....he will come home and have tea over rice.

Don't get me started on noodles. If anything he needs noodles as much as rice. Every day he likes ramen noodles in a rich chicken broth with chinese cabbage and sprouts and chicken or pork or sausage or what ever is left over.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:26 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,742,666 times
RD...sometimes I marinate chicken in milk with a little basil. garlic powder, black pepper and seasoned salt.
before I cook it, I take it out of the milk and roll in bread crumbs and bake the chicken.

It is really good and easy also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink