Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2008, 10:10 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,250,037 times

Advertisements

daytripper: We have been through this before 10 yrs. ago in our last home lol.
Our home is only 5 yrs. old, but the kitchen layout is not good for the way that I cook. I give Italian cooking lessons and cater also. My husband is a kitchen designer (you know the shoe salesman's kids don't have shoes), so after 5 yrs. of trying to cook in a dysfunctional kitchen, my dh started to remodel. When it gets done it will be beautiful. If I can ever figure out how to send pictures I will send the before and after. My old kitchen cabinets are fastened on the garage walls, lol. I can't find anything, but it will turn around--soon---I hope.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:21 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,319,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
HELP!

Need some inspiration for tonight, I have 4 big chicken legs in the fridge and various veggies - any ideas!!!!???

O and well done to all you new non-smokers!
I got this recipe from here from one of our great cooks---it was wonderful!!

Take 1 package of chicken drumsticks, with skin, thawed.
Rub thoroughly with salt and pepper and stab with a fork multiple times. Imagine the face of an ex on the drumstucks.
Chop up some garlic and ginger (minced) and stuff into the skin and rub into the fork-holes.

The Marinade is made as follows:

1/3 part honey
1/3 part soy sauce
1/3 part fruit juice (I used orange but you can use whatever)
1/3 a cup of chopped ginger pieces

Drown the chicken drumsticks in marinade for at least 3-6 hours.

When finished, put drumsticks in a pan and dump a small amount of marinade on top. Feel free to baste with some honey and top with some sesame seeds. Cover with foil and baked on 350 for about 1-2 hours, until done.

Pasta is as follows:
Sautee chopped red onions in a liberal amount of olive oil until onions are transparent. Add bell peppers and chopped kale. Add salt and pepper and cook until kale is relatively wilted.

Add chosen amount of cooked pasta (I use egg noodles or any type of non-long pasta) and stir in.

Cook until noodles are well coated with the veggie olive oil mixture are done (your choice of doneness).

Serve with a sprinkling of paprika on top.

There are many other recipes with chicken back some pages--plus I am sure others here will chime in to give you other ideas.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:22 AM

2,355 posts, read 2,183,067 times
We are having pot roast for dinner. I found a recipe at BH&G for a slow cooker pot roast. I added diced potatoes and carrots before laying the pot roast on top. Then I mixed together 3/4 cup water, 1 tsp of worchester sauce, a little bit of basil, a beef bouillon cube, and some salt and poured this over the pot roast. Should take about 10 to 11 hours to cook but just in time when I get home from work. Yay!

Old 03-25-2008, 10:32 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,062,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I got this recipe from here from one of our great cooks---it was wonderful!!

Take 1 package of chicken drumsticks, with skin, thawed. Rub thoroughly with salt and pepper and stab with a fork multiple times. Imagine the face of an ex on the drumstucks......
Thanks! Looking forward to the stabbing bit!!!!

I have been searching for the word 'chicken' in this thread, yours sounds yummy tho so may stop now!

Old 03-25-2008, 10:55 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,746,160 times
Good afternoon.........I too miss Nic and Elston..Hope everyone is well today.
Big Hoorah for the non-smokers....it is hard but so worth it down the road.

Tonight's dinner is my hubbie's favorite. I cannot have it but it is Sausage Casserole

Fry up and cut up sausage...(any kind)
cut up about six potatoes into chunks and cook but not mushy
bag of broccolli florets (cook and drain)
medium onion
mushrooms (optional)
Velveeta cheese
black pepper

After sausages are cooked, cook onion and mushrooms in the drippings.
To that mix I add approx 4 TBLS flour and 1 1/2 cups milk. Mix until thick. Melt in a small box of velveeta..stir until melted.
Add in sausage, potatoes, broccolli...mix well.
Place in casserole dish and add some bread crumbs on top (optional).

Bake on 300-325 oven till bubbly.

I usually make this early in the day then pop in oven at dinnertime and serve with rolls.

Sorry to be vague on measurements but when I cook, I pretty much dump and pour and throw stuff in. Sauce will be a thick consistency though.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:55 AM

Southdown, Believe me--it is yummy! I made it but it isn't my recipe. I'd have to search back to see who posted this recipe but I know it's between a few of the regulars. It is hard going back with so many pages here and I have a problem with the "search" too. That's why I copied and pasted all of the recipes. If no one else helps out I can always post a couple more I have---but again, these are not my recipes I got them from here from other posters...I wish I could be so clever and inventive!!

Old 03-25-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
daytripper: We have been through this before 10 yrs. ago in our last home lol.
Our home is only 5 yrs. old, but the kitchen layout is not good for the way that I cook. I give Italian cooking lessons and cater also. My husband is a kitchen designer (you know the shoe salesman's kids don't have shoes), so after 5 yrs. of trying to cook in a dysfunctional kitchen, my dh started to remodel. When it gets done it will be beautiful. If I can ever figure out how to send pictures I will send the before and after. My old kitchen cabinets are fastened on the garage walls, lol. I can't find anything, but it will turn around--soon---I hope.
You sound like another great cook! Welcome here! Please keep giving us ideas...we love it! I understand about the kitchen thing...we just finished remodeling our kitchen. A pain while it's being done but so well worth it in the end!!

Old 03-25-2008, 11:13 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,250,037 times
cynwldkat: thank you for the warm welcome. Your recipe sounds great too, I will be trying it. If I can help you with any Italian dishes just ask me.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:27 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,856,986 times
Kelsie did that years ago in our other home and can still remember the dysfunctional meals we had during renovation.

Cyn think it was Elston who gave us that great recipe.

Simple here tonight-cheese omelets and bacon-the old go to when the cupboard's bare. Didn't go shopping as I had skin doc and he zapped me quite a bit w/nitro spray. Oh well there's always tomorrow.

Staring to worry about Nic-maybe she got a job? Hope Elston's having a safe trip.

Daytripper and MTH-congrats on stopping smoking-oh how I've tried and failed!

Old 03-25-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Kelsie did that years ago in our other home and can still remember the dysfunctional meals we had during renovation.

Cyn think it was Elston who gave us that great recipe.

Simple here tonight-cheese omelets and bacon-the old go to when the cupboard's bare. Didn't go shopping as I had skin doc and he zapped me quite a bit w/nitro spray. Oh well there's always tomorrow.

Staring to worry about Nic-maybe she got a job? Hope Elston's having a safe trip.

Daytripper and MTH-congrats on stopping smoking-oh how I've tried and failed!
Awww Lasey, I'm sorry you had to go through that with the skin Doc. Doesn't sound like much fun. I think you are right about the recipe coming from elston. I'm hoping it is good news as to why nic hasen't been around lately--maybe a job? I am positive elston is having the time of his life right now! But Lasey, we both must do what we do so well--WORRY!!! It's just the way we are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.