Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2009, 04:34 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times

Advertisements

Nomad......I have a corned beef brisket and a cabbage and a rutabagga and several red skinned potatoes.....not sure if thats for supper tonight however. I bought it for St Paddy's Day.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella52 View Post
Ok, I was originally going to have Penne for dinner but at the last minute changed my mind to spaghetti.
The gravy/sauce was simmering, bread was warming in the oven and the spaghetti was tasted.....perfect.

DH came into the kitchen and said "I'll drain them for you". I have one of those pots with the strainer lids, do I need to go on.............well, he went to the sink and the next thing I heard was oh shi$. The lid came off and all the spaghetti went down the drain.

Long story short. I had Penne 1/2 hour later.

Have a great evening everyone
Another Spaghetti Draining Story:

I had a friend who was married to an Italian man. Her father in law....was from Sicily and spoke broken English....He was visiting and he was cooking supper....my friend pretty much turned her kitchen over to him....to do his thing....helping him only when asked.

He calls to her.....Eh Joanne....where's where's.....where's the ....."the spaghetti she stop the water she go"?????

Old 03-16-2009, 04:45 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,851,350 times
Morning all-

Amber the best medicine for Mom right now is that you and RD are there. Hug Mom for me-okay?

Kats-prayers for Mom's successful hip surgery today. Miraculous how quickly it's done these days.

MWBW-I waved thru WI, Jax-waved thru IN, Elston saw so many ME trucks and thought of you, GentleArts-waved thru Ohio.

Our wonderful son came with 4 HUGE pizzas, mussels, garlic bread-I had some mussels and savored a slice of REAL pizza. His fiance' and her Mom joined us all and we had a great time.

We stopped first night at a Holiday Inn in Rockford,IL and ordered in-we had the most delicious meal I've had in a long time-we both groaned! It was a pleasant surprise.

Today maybe car shopping.

Oh my 18 y.o. GS is sooo tall-like 6'4". We're enjoying every minute.

Last edited by LaceyEx; 03-16-2009 at 04:55 AM..

Old 03-16-2009, 04:49 AM

Lacey.......so glad that all is going well.....enjoy every minute! Thanks for the update and for thinking of us. Not to worry......we are all behaving while you are away....and look forward to your return.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:53 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
I'm up....Don't ask me why cause I don't know. Anyway the corned beef is in the crock pot getting all tender. Cabbage is waiting patiently in the fridge. No if someone will dial up Murphy and tell him he is needed on the north pole this may come together as planned.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:07 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
Lacey, I thought I felt a "hello" nudging at my unconscious on Thursday - glad to know it was you! Your fun with family sounds so wonderful, and I am just so grateful that Mr. L. recovered quickly enough that you could both revel in that feast of family. Those boys shoot up at a phenomenal rate, don't they? I swear that my son would get up in the morning an inch taller than when he went to bed during his teen years.

Noma and Elston, we've got a nice big flat-cut corned beef awaiting the crockpot tomorrow also, to go along with cabbage and potatoes for our weekly dinner guests. We're hoping that there'll be enough for sandwiches later this week, though it generally disappears at such a rate that at best we get maybe one lunch's worth out of the leftovers.

Bella, I winced in sympathetic anguish at the thought of your lovely pot of perfectly-done spaghetti going down the drain! Oh, but that must have been frustrating. So nice of Mr. B. to try to help.... I hope he at least did the dishes for you afterward!

Kats, I'll be thinking of you and your folks today. Hope all goes well for your mom with no complications. Hugs to all of you.

And Amber and Cyn, you know we're all thinking of you both this week, enjoying each other and watching that little lad have fun with Grandma! You go have fun and we'll keep things ticking over here awaiting your return. Looking forward to all the stories!

Supper here will be another catch-as-catch-can evening, as the spouse has his final class for this term and likely won't be home until well after 9. I'll probably stop by my favorite little Chinese restaurant again for carry-out, then spend the evening gathering paperwork for our tax preparer. I'm an accountant, but most assuredly NOT a tax accountant, and I'd rather pay someone else to stay up to date on all the personal income tax laws than try to do it myself.

Hope everyone has a terrific Monday! Take care, see you this evening.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:52 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Good morning all.

Jaxson- You were really busy yesterday with all those noodles. And cheesecake on top of that, OMG.

Amber I'm glad you and your mom are together.

Kat- Best of luck with Mom's surgery today.

Lacey- So glad you made it safe and sound. Have a great time and enjoy all of that great food.

A dreary day here today. I made Talapia last night and became sick to my stomach. Not sure if it was that batch of fish or just a fluke. Pepto cured all my ills. Tonight I am making a Roast Turkey Breast. Yum. Well at least it isn't chicken, lol. Lost 8 pounds so far. Woo hoo. I am a happy camper.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:08 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
running....busy busy.... I do miss you all lately..... once a day lately seems like all I can manage. The kids seem to get more and more on their plate these days- between extra curriculars and then being sick in between...and now that the weather is getting nicer... I am not on as much.

Well, tonight hubby is working late and I have to get diva to religion class. I will be making the nitrate free chicken sausage I have defrosting- it is light in flavor so I don't think it will do too much in terms of effecting Diva's belly. I have some carrots, cauliflower, and maybe baked beans.... Have the kids eat early and head out the door to my parents until religion since they live so close and I don't ( I kind of live in hicksville compared to them)....

Ok... I am off.... maybe I will be back later.. if not you all have a great day and I will see you all back here tomorrow.... man I miss chatting...

Old 03-16-2009, 08:13 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella52 View Post

DH came into the kitchen and said "I'll drain them for you". I have one of those pots with the strainer lids, do I need to go on.............well, he went to the sink and the next thing I heard was oh shi$. The lid came off and all the spaghetti went down the drain.
Long story short. I had Penne 1/2 hour later.
That's funny. Thanks for sharing. Hope you didn't leave all that spaghetti in the garbage disposal -- carbs are harder on those things than my thighs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Some days are better than others. Murphy visits me way to often.
Murphy has a room in my house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberbaby27 View Post
JAXS, KATS, MWBW and the rest of the fellow FOODIESthe table of food is big enough for us all at Cyns house We are just so happy My son missed his grandma so much.
Glad y'all are having such a nice time together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
This is officially Monday now...If no bad luck corned beef and cabbage tonight. I have a nice flat cut just ready to simmer for the day and a nice head of cabbage to marry it to. Probably will fix the bag of corn in the freezer and call it good.
Sounds like a plan, Noma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Another Spaghetti Draining Story:
He calls to her.....Eh Joanne....where's where's.....where's the ....."the spaghetti she stop the water she go"?????
hahahaha.. Another great spaghetti story, Elston, thanks for sharing. too.

My cooking extravaganza weekend went pretty well. I have a refrigerator stuffed full of goods, and a freezer too. I just love me those 4 cup ziplock brand containers. I've got 2 quarts of potato leek soup and 6 quarts of spaghetti gravy in my freezer for some future too-warm-to-cook days.

I also made cranberry muffins and corned beef and cabbage.

There is enough corned beef left for maybe 2 days of sandwiches at best. DH says the vegetables are just there for decoration & stuck to his words by barely eating any of them!

We will have corned beef on Russian Rye for dinner, with a pickle on the side and maybe I'll rustle up some cole slaw. Luckily I only cooked two small wedges of cabbage with the corned beef since I'm the only one eating it. Hmm.. maybe I need to have a "Rachel" tonight. No Reuben for DH, I don't have any kraut in the house.

I have some spaghetti gravy held back for tomorrow night's dinner. I'm not cooking again until Wednesday or Thursday & I have enough stuff made to pack in my lunch pail all week. Boy am I tired!

Old 03-16-2009, 08:43 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Good morning foodies!

Good to hear from Lacey and amber it is really nice they are thinking of us eh?

skbs we miss your chatting as well but understand about family first.

YLisa I am late getting in here this morning because I went to your page first. You know my slow dial up but it is so worth the wait seeing your pictures~~thank you again.

All this talk about corned beef with the flat cut I was always told the point cut has more flavor because of the fat. I haven't picked one up yet don't know if I will get into town today or not. We have a swim meet tonight so we will have leftovers nuked when we get home for supper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink