Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2009, 03:53 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,094,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
What is it for?If I just want a cheese sauce on cauliflower, for example, I just plop the velvetta into the pan of drained cauliflower and put the lid on and it melts over it. When it melts it's quite thin. You probably won't need to add milk to it.If you are making mac and cheese with it, I'd make a thin white sauce (butter, flour and milk) and stir in the Velvetta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
SD-GentleArts is correct-just make a white sauce with a shot or so of tabasco and add cut up Velveeta.
Thanks - it's just to go over broccoli so I'll try it straight-up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenbacismama View Post
Long time no see everyone, belated Happy New Year. It's too hard to keep up on all the posts here, so I just drop in once in a while.
Happy New Year to you too!

Old 01-20-2009, 04:17 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,292,371 times
molochai that is good news! Do be careful with the outside weather especially. Would a walker give you more stability or would that be too much to tote around?

skbs what did your Obama dinner consist of?

nik diversity is what makes the world go around.

Nomad you could always reduce your tomatoes down for some pasta sauce. If you do that be sure to clip a timer to your shirt so we don't have any scorched sauce.

burdell we have been trying to watch the parade too getting ticked off at CNN though. They have so much junk at the bottom of their screen then a tiny picture of what is going on while they show commericials. They should get rid of all their junk which would make the picture bigger. Folks in the parade is such an honor I don't know why they keep showing their geoeye imaging stuff. I can't believe how far behind today's events have gotten.

Our ribs are smelling so good as the potatoes are finishing off in the oven and salad is made. Too busy watching CNN today to make a dessert so if anybody wants some there is ice cream in the freezer.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:28 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,345,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
NMS this is when you order pizza! Thought I taught you better.
I know...I don't know what's come over me! Actually, I wasn't in the mood for "real" pizza. I caved and made our veggie pizza on Boboli. I guess I wasn't in the mood for that, either. It just didn't taste as good as it normally does. Oh, well, that way, I didn't eat all that much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
How do you make cheese sauce with velveeta - just velveeta or add milk etc to make it more liquid...?
Just straight velveeta, SD. I added milk the first time and it was way too thin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
molochai that is good news! Do be careful with the outside weather especially. Would a walker give you more stability or would that be too much to tote around?

skbs what did your Obama dinner consist of?

nik diversity is what makes the world go around.

Nomad you could always reduce your tomatoes down for some pasta sauce. If you do that be sure to clip a timer to your shirt so we don't have any scorched sauce.

burdell we have been trying to watch the parade too getting ticked off at CNN though. They have so much junk at the bottom of their screen then a tiny picture of what is going on while they show commericials. They should get rid of all their junk which would make the picture bigger. Folks in the parade is such an honor I don't know why they keep showing their geoeye imaging stuff. I can't believe how far behind today's events have gotten.

Our ribs are smelling so good as the potatoes are finishing off in the oven and salad is made. Too busy watching CNN today to make a dessert so if anybody wants some there is ice cream in the freezer.

Ooo...now, your ribs sound good. I was watching everything on ABC. Course, I have a big crush on Charley Gibson, so that helped. (Don't tell DH, please!) But I thought they were doing a good job.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:49 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,931,277 times
It was a very cold weekend for Raleigh, so there was almost no one at the farmer's market. They were practically giving away collard greens. I also picked up some smoked hog jowls (looks just like bacon strips) for half off.

Cooked up a pot of the greens, made a no knead dutch oven loaf of bread, and I finally made a good batch of baked beans. I've been trying for awhile now, tinkering with my recipe.

I needed my dutch oven for the bread, so I made the beans in our crock pot. Used navy beans that I had soaked overnight. Ketchup, some mustard, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar. When they were near done I put some of the smoked jowl meat in there too.

Delicious, and really cheap to make - if I had to guess, probably under $3 per person - I'll take that any day.

Of course, tomorrow I'm doing the porterhouse steaks - so much for $3 meals...

Old 01-20-2009, 04:50 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,832,360 times
MWBW was a bad influence last night, and I had cravings for Chinese food all day.

Tonight's dinner was Mongolian beef with a side of fried rice.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:10 PM

16,223 posts, read 25,784,049 times
Chicken breast, salad, and water

Old 01-20-2009, 05:13 PM

259,024 posts, read 91,105,168 times
I had the beef stew from the crock pot. Decided I didn't really want a cheese sandwich..Most content at the moment.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:13 PM

48,514 posts, read 22,148,799 times
I made a boboli pizza during the day while we were watching inauguration.....then wanted more and found a recipe to make my own pizza crust..(it is so easy) and made another pizza! I made fresh rice and later will grill some smoked sausage for my DP.....I am full.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:27 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,498,983 times
I forgot when I posted earlier to say what's for supper! lol Never got to cook the chicken last night because I had to go out on errands... so tonight is leftovers from my take out last night...

stuffed quahog (I buy two)
salad (I buy two)
au gratin potatoes
marinated steak tips w/ dipping sauce

SO Yummy!!! I got this from my favorite restaurant on the Cape and there's always enough food for two meals with their dinners. Nice!!

Old 01-20-2009, 05:47 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,292,371 times
elston did you just bake it in our regular oven? I thought you would need a stone oven to make boboli crust.

arsbadmojo I love trying to make meals on the cheap but not from cheap boxed stuff. Some times the kids will try to figure out what didn't come from the garden or my canning.

sterlinggirl there is that power of persuasion again from this awesome thread. I did notice a turkey trend in here today.

Nomad glad the stew stuffed ya.

Coastal now there is the power of leftovers!

Supper was great and I got reminded we have some leftover birthday cake so guess what is for our snacking tonight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink