Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2008, 07:47 AM

68,427 posts, read 54,871,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
That could be it.......I think I was using a very fine grind....I do like strong coffee and usually a french or dark bean.

Have you tried Louisiana style coffee with chicory? I find you can make it quite strong while the chicory maintains a 'mellow' quality.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:51 AM

68,427 posts, read 54,871,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Pearwood makes a wonderful carving wood... maybe you can keep some of the wood and get a woodturner to make you a bowl or something, in memory of your parents...
GREAT thought!

Many fruitwoods have wonderful graining and make beautiful carvings/turnings, olive is my favorite.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:03 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,380,696 times
Well, looks like I'm going to get some time to wrap packages and check on my CD friends today. Thus far we've had 9" of snow here and it's still coming in thick and fast, blowing and drifting as well. Until the plows make it down our little two-block-long tertiary street, I won't be able to get past the foot of our driveway. And in our experience living here for the past 9 years, we don't usually see a plow until between 6 and 18 hours after the snow stops falling. If they clear the street by early afternoon, I'll go into the office for at least a little while so I won't be too far behind on Monday.

Jaxson, I am so very sorry to hear about the fate of your pear tree; I'd be weeping, too, were I in your shoes. But I completely agree that southdown's suggestion of using the wood for a bowl or carving of some kind would be a lovely way for both the tree and the memories it brings you to keep on being a part of your life. If nobody in your family is a woodworker, check in your community for a wood-carver's club or a turner's guild, and see if you can find someone to take on the task. You can also check art shows and ask the woodworkers who frequently display there if they'd do a custom piece for you.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:05 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,438,978 times
Well since we already have the Cuisinart coffee maker that grinds the coffee I may just have to use it. It's brand new and still in the box. I did read on it that I can use ground coffee by just turning off the grinder so I'll probably do that. We don't have any Cosco or Sams anywhere near where we live. We only venture out to where they are located occasionally. That's our big city days!! HA! We're going to try to just buy a new cord for our percolator but if that doesn't work it'll have to be the Cuisinart. I have heard they are a pain to clean and that isn't a great thought! Oh well.........
Elston, the coffee press is wonderful but you do need a course grind of coffee. Many of the "high-dollar" restaurants use them. The coffee doesn't stay hot for long but usually they are fairly small so you drink it before it cools off to much. They really aren't that much work--I'm just use to my good old percolator.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:13 AM

2,409 posts, read 6,024,827 times
Jaxsom - I'm sorry about your tree.

Tonight will be be chicken breasts, veggies and mashed potatoes.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:16 AM

48,534 posts, read 22,157,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Well since we already have the Cuisinart coffee maker that grinds the coffee I may just have to use it. It's brand new and still in the box. I did read on it that I can use ground coffee by just turning off the grinder so I'll probably do that. We don't have any Cosco or Sams anywhere near where we live. We only venture out to where they are located occasionally. That's our big city days!! HA! We're going to try to just buy a new cord for our percolator but if that doesn't work it'll have to be the Cuisinart. I have heard they are a pain to clean and that isn't a great thought! Oh well.........
Elston, the coffee press is wonderful but you do need a course grind of coffee. Many of the "high-dollar" restaurants use them. The coffee doesn't stay hot for long but usually they are fairly small so you drink it before it cools off to much. They really aren't that much work--I'm just use to my good old percolator.
I wish I had an old fashion percolator....or I think those old fashion pyrex pots that made suction and sucked the water thru the grounds on the stove top were "neat"...that would be fun to try.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:31 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,283,659 times
I have no idea yet what we're having for dinner tonight. Right now I am in the mood for Chinese food, but that may change.

I'm a big coffeeholic. We have a Flavia coffee pot, which makes the best coffee I ever had. The bad thing is you have to use their proprietary coffee packages for each cup, which are rather pricey. The upside is not only is the coffee delicious, there is no cleanup since the grinds stay inside the little packet you insert. I heard a rumor that friends of who have a Kuerig coffeemaker, which also makes excellent coffee, bought us one. If that is true, we will have two gourmet pots. I understand though that you do not have to use Kuerig's coffee, unlike Flavia's.

Debsi - Make it 18 on Saturday - I'll be there! Sounds like a wonderful meal.

skbs - Your posts crack me up. I wish I had 1/4 the energy you do. It sounds like you needed to put your feet up and rest a while yesterday. I'd have passed out by then.

Jaxon - Sorry about your pear tree SD's suggestion is great - I hope you decide to do something like that.

HG - Sounds like it's going to be a blast!

EM - You must be so excited. Please let us know when you know.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:41 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,972,109 times
Have a nice day inside all of you snow-bound people! It talked to my sis and my dad on the way into work this morning. They live in Grand Rapids, MI and both got snow days at their schools today (dad is a principal, sis a teacher) so there break started a day early.

My sis said they got 6 inches in four hours, and my dad told me another foot or so is expected. Yikes!!

Old 12-19-2008, 08:46 AM

22,979 posts, read 27,205,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Have a nice day inside all of you snow-bound people! It talked to my sis and my dad on the way into work this morning. They live in Grand Rapids, MI and both got snow days at their schools today (dad is a principal, sis a teacher) so there break started a day early.

My sis said they got 6 inches in four hours, and my dad told me another foot or so is expected. Yikes!!
What's a "snow day"? We don't usually get those unless they've put the road plows away and we get a late storm.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:02 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,932,951 times
When we lived in NJ 2" would bring a snow day!

Stew is all browned, assembled and slow cooking in a 225 oven for the day. Smells so good here.

MWBW-glad you got a "day off".

Highlands you have the ambition I used to have. Every year we gave a holiday party and everyone had to come formal-tons of appetizers, drinks, music and food. Mine has up and left!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink