Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2008, 05:24 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,912,581 times

Advertisements

This morning I am heading to school to make gingerbread houses with DIVA's class! Should be there all morning to make a huge mess!!!! LOL Should be a good time... she is very excited. The little one is heading to my FIL's and he is a little nervous about driving her around to PreK...I guess it is worse than I thought last night... according to hubby (but we still have school of course!!!!). Nothing exciting going on as of yet....

Tonight? Well, Diva asked me to please serve WAX Beans.... I hate those things. My MIL gives them to her so I have been buying the. I can't stand them. She will only eat them from the can too.... I think they taste like metal. So I plop 'em into a tupperware and then nuke em up for her.... but blah...... What will be served WITH the darn yellow critters that look like diced worms? LOL... Well, I will have to get back at ya on that one.....

Have a great Friday everyone......

Old 12-19-2008, 05:38 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,932,951 times
Today I'll put together a big beef/veggie stew and later will top with dumplings for Mr. L-once he fills his plate I will do mine dumpling-less.

Burdell-I'll be making the cacciatore Sunday!! Enjoy.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:41 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,438,978 times
That is so funny skbs...just yesterday DH and I were discussing wax beans. We both like them but we were curious why they don't seem to be very popular. Now I know! Ha!
Woke up this morning and my coffee pot took a dump! We have a brand new one DH's son got for me last Christmas..beautiful but it uses whole coffee beans and grinds them for you each time. Do you know how much whole coffee beans cost? Yikes! That's why I haven't used it yet. It's still in the box. We also have a coffee press which we used this morning. It only makes 2 1/2 cups of coffee at a time but it is the best coffee. Guess I only get 1 1/2 cups of coffee this morning. DH only drinks one cup each morning. It is more work but the flavor is so good. Not sure if we're going to buy another coffee pot like what we are use to or not. Today is our toy shopping day for the grandkids. Also want to get them some clothes so it should be a busy day. Now for the friggin fog to lift. I can't even see my neighbors house. I sure don't like driving in fog!
Whatever I decide to make for dinner has got to be simple because by the time we get home tonight I will be beat for sure. We'll probably eat a late lunch out so we won't be that hungry at dinner time anyhow.
Everyone have a fun and safe day today!!!

Old 12-19-2008, 05:45 AM

Morning Cyn-that's a good plan-eat a late big lunch out! And be safe on the roads-hate fog.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:02 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,296,192 times
I am so sad this morning foodie friends. We got the ice and have a 2 hour delay on school but once daylight started our Bradford pear tree is broke off from the top halfway down. That tree was planted in memory of my parents in 1993. Odd thing about it just last week some friends and I were talking about how all the Bradford pear trees around here didn't shed their leaves, mine included, this year. Seems the snow is going to keep on trucking to the east not stopping here unless we get it later today.

We will be having leftover goulash tonight but since school is delayed our baking session will get pushed back a bit today.

cyn sorry about your coffee maker I have never drank coffee so I can't say I feel your pain. Be careful in that fog I would rather drive in snow or ice than fog.

Later friends.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:21 AM

Oh Jaxson we had 2 beautiful Bradford pears when we lived in NJ and they do not live long are are so suseptible to breakage. Broke our hearts when we lost those trees, they were the first to bloom and last to lose their leaves.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:37 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,296,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Oh Jaxson we had 2 beautiful Bradford pears when we lived in NJ and they do not live long are are so suseptible to breakage. Broke our hearts when we lost those trees, they were the first to bloom and last to lose their leaves.
That is true with ours as well but I don't recall it never dropping it's leaves like it did this year. They are all brown hanging on each limb. This one was so beautifully shaped and right outside my kitchen window for a nice view when washing dishes.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:00 AM

22,979 posts, read 27,205,279 times
SKBS, I like wax beans, don't know why, maybe it's a throwback to grade school where they were served for lunch at least once a day?

Cyn, have you tried buying your whole beans from Costco? We buy the Kirkland colombian in a bag and they are a little bit more than buying ground coffee but my DW and I feel that we're only talking a buck or two and it IS the start of our day so might as well start it right with the freshest tasting nectar from the heavens we can (have I become a coffee snob?).

As for coffee makers, I feel your pain. 2 years ago I went through 6 of 'em I just couldn't keep one runing for longer than a month or two until I found my latest one which I love (now watch it'll break down) and would buy again in a heartbeat. It's a Cuisinart and we got a Cuisinart grinder as well (both from Costco btw, best price around) and if they can stand up to our usage I'm guessing it'll work well for you. I've not heard anything good about the grinder/maker combo's, the people I've talked to have taken 'em back after a few months because some part or another failed. Thanks to the internet I tend to research everything now before I buy it and it could take me a month to decide what to buy and where. Heck it took me 6 months to decide on an espresso maker!
As for dinner tonight, I'm deciding between steak and rice or fish tacos with more of the creeping cobbler for desert, depends on if we get the -20 wind chill we're supposedly in for.
Jaxson, when we lived in GA we had Bradford Pear trees and one got sick. We talked to a tree guy and he said that while they're a pretty tree they don't live very long tree wise and don't take ice/cold well. Thankfully at that point they weren't expensive to replace so that's at least something positive I guess...

Old 12-19-2008, 07:04 AM

849 posts, read 1,961,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
That is so funny skbs...just yesterday DH and I were discussing wax beans. We both like them but we were curious why they don't seem to be very popular. Now I know! Ha!
Woke up this morning and my coffee pot took a dump! We have a brand new one DH's son got for me last Christmas..beautiful but it uses whole coffee beans and grinds them for you each time. Do you know how much whole coffee beans cost? Yikes! That's why I haven't used it yet. It's still in the box. We also have a coffee press which we used this morning. It only makes 2 1/2 cups of coffee at a time but it is the best coffee. Guess I only get 1 1/2 cups of coffee this morning. DH only drinks one cup each morning. It is more work but the flavor is so good. Not sure if we're going to buy another coffee pot like what we are use to or not. Today is our toy shopping day for the grandkids. Also want to get them some clothes so it should be a busy day. Now for the friggin fog to lift. I can't even see my neighbors house. I sure don't like driving in fog!
Whatever I decide to make for dinner has got to be simple because by the time we get home tonight I will be beat for sure. We'll probably eat a late lunch out so we won't be that hungry at dinner time anyhow.
Everyone have a fun and safe day today!!!
I love my coffee press. I have a one cup size and a 4 cup size, they do make the best coffee and it only takes minutes to make your coffee. We use the in the afternoon when you want just one cup. In the morning, I use my regular coffee maker so DH and I can have a few cups each.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:07 AM

48,534 posts, read 22,157,450 times
We have an old coffee maker....simple......no bells or whistles.....it is just a cheap white plastic machine and looks dingy.....I would love to replace it...but it still works......and I can hardly and DP can't even consider replacing something that still works. So.............probably have to hit the pyrex coffee pot against the faucet....(not really going to do that!)!

I bought a small press awhile back.....didnt like it at all! To me the coffee tasted muddy and was never hot enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink