Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2008, 02:54 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,876,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
I'll tell you what my two biggest challenges will be in losing 100 pounds.

[1] Getting out to walk each day despite the cold, the wind, the snow, etc.

[2] Reading all the messages you guys post in this thread. They are fantastic. You all leave such beautiful messages with recipes and ideas and such. I'm going to read them and think "Hmm, that sounds good" ... "Hmm, that sounds good too" ... "Hmmm, so does that". I have to make sure that between all those Hmms, I don't Hmm myself into needing to lose TWO hundred pounds.
Well, Charley do you know what I learned to do with #2? Turn it into a game... How can I make that? I have figured out ways to make most things....LOW FAT.... I even have a really yummy Tiramisu cake that I make with Angel Food Cake.... It isn't the Real thing but when you cut back for long periods of time and make serious sacrifices you find that even the WANNA Be stuff tastes amazing and you don't miss the fat and calories.... I also have a really good Chicken Marsala Recipe that is low fat and amazing.... you just have to think differently and go about it in a different way- get creative- make it a game...... you will get used to it....

Old 10-29-2008, 03:04 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,866,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Well, Charley do you know what I learned to do with #2? Turn it into a game... How can I make that? I have figured out ways to make most things....LOW FAT.... I even have a really yummy Tiramisu cake that I make with Angel Food Cake.... It isn't the Real thing but when you cut back for long periods of time and make serious sacrifices you find that even the WANNA Be stuff tastes amazing and you don't miss the fat and calories.... I also have a really good Chicken Marsala Recipe that is low fat and amazing.... you just have to think differently and go about it in a different way- get creative- make it a game...... you will get used to it....
That is so true. A few years ago I did a totally low fat Thanksgiving and no one knew the difference. There are so many healthy choices in stores now that it makes it easier.

Mashed potatoes w/lowfat/low sodium chicken broth. Use Smart Balance instead of butter. I've even made cream sauces with fat free cream.

It's a lot of subsitution and you can do it Charley!!!! I'll always be here for support as will CrazyW, Elston-all of us.

Also FoodNetwork, Ellie Krieger-great stuff-google her.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:07 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
That is so true. A few years ago I did a totally low fat Thanksgiving and no one knew the difference. There are so many healthy choices in stores now that it makes it easier.

Mashed potatoes w/lowfat/low sodium chicken broth. Use Smart Balance instead of butter. I've even made cream sauces with fat free cream.

It's a lot of subsitution and you can do it Charley!!!! I'll always be here for support as will CrazyW, Elston-all of us.
Count me in.... all of my friends know they can't get into my house without finding the majority of it filled with lowfat this or that....LOL....and I have a list of appetizers a mile long if you need 'em for the holidays (which is tough- so if you need me I am here)

Old 10-29-2008, 03:23 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,920,589 times
Beef stroganoff, made with grass feed beef stew meat. The meat was already in pieces, but I cut it into smaller chunks and trimmed some silver/fat off, and then browned over high heat. When browned, I deglazed the pan with a big splash of apple brandy, and put the result into my crockpot with a cup of water and some onion soup mix.

Cooked that all day, poured it out, reduced the sauce by a little over half and turned off the heat. Added in 2 big spoonfuls of sour cream, paprika and pepper.

Served over wide egg noodles.

As a side dish I made sort of flat bird's nest with these white sweet potatoes I got at the farmer's market. I don't know their name...I grated a large one (it was a huge freaking spud) with a box grater, added an egg and a good dash of nutmeg. Made into balls and mashed down, trying to get all the liquid out that I could, then into the deep fryer.

Initially I was going to serve the beef over the potatoes, and the noodles were cheap backup insurance plan because I'd never tried making a potato nest before, but then they turned out too small really, only about 5" across, so I just served them by themselves, but they were a big hit.

Both were excellent!

Old 10-29-2008, 03:26 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,866,360 times
Wow-that's all I can say because I'm picturing and sensing your wonderful meal!!!!

Old 10-29-2008, 03:39 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,051,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
I have a really good pallette. When my wife cooks with margarine instead of butter, I know the difference. Then she says "You want to be healthy, right"? ... and I quietly say yes and eat my dinner.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:47 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,434,874 times
Quote:
I have a really good pallette. When my wife cooks with margarine instead of butter, I know the difference. Then she says "You want to be healthy, right"? ... and I quietly say yes and eat my dinner.
I don't think margarine is healthy. Butter can be okay unless you eat it in mass quantities. Maybe some cardiac patients should avoid it.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:57 PM

68,348 posts, read 54,470,554 times
Quote:
I'll tell you what my two biggest challenges will be in losing 100 pounds.

[1] Getting out to walk each day despite the cold, the wind, the snow, etc.
It may surprise you. I've found in the past that while I have to force myself to walk everyday for the first week or two, after that I really miss it if I don't walk.

Quote:
[2] Reading all the messages you guys post in this thread. They are fantastic. You all leave such beautiful messages with recipes and ideas and such. I'm going to read them and think "Hmm, that sounds good" ... "Hmm, that sounds good too" ... "Hmmm, so does that". I have to make sure that between all those Hmms, I don't Hmm myself into needing to lose TWO hundred pounds.

Can't help you with a bunch of great people, you'll just have to suffer

Old 10-29-2008, 04:01 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,750,559 times
I have to admit I do miss my butter as there is no good substitution but I use the Smart Balance so I can save on points and cholesterol.
Charley..Lacy's chicken cacciatore is easy and delicious.

My son was here the other day and said Hey Ma how come you don't cook like you used to anymore it is soooooo boring now and there is never anything good here anymore (like I still shop for my kids) but then he sat down with us and had dinner and loved it. I have found some great ways to prepare so that we both can have it and I just add to DH's plate as he is very thin and can't afford to lose even 5 lbs.
It is hard this time of year because of the comfort foods. I am just finding new ones.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:16 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,051,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
It may surprise you. I've found in the past that while I have to force myself to walk everyday for the first week or two, after that I really miss it if I don't walk.
No surprise at all. I walked two NYC Marathons, I love walking - just never really thrilled with walking in lousy weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Can't help you with a bunch of great people, you'll just have to suffer
lol ... I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.