Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 09:50 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Have you noticed these items have an expiration date on them?
Actually, they do not. This is a common misconception.

The ONLY packaged food sold with an expiration date on it is infant formula.

The date found on other packaged goods is a voluntary "Best Used By" date that primarily serves as a stock balancing aid, so stores can keep the oldest stock up front. And it's not a statement of safety at all, simply of quality.

Checking my pantry just now I found a bottle of salad dressing I bought before Thanksgiving but never opened. Its Best By date is still more than a year away.

Then once I've opened it, and kept it in the fridge, I would have no concern about using it 6 - 9 months or more later. That's a reasonable expectation, based on industry and government tables.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 04:36 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
If you are not using up marinara sauce withing one week of opening it try buying a smaller size. Mayonaise and salad dressings last over a month for sure, if refrigerated. Refrigerated jams and jellies I am never concerned about. Have never gotten sick from food - and that is many decades.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:58 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,424,202 times
Salsa and ketchup last quite a while (months), refrigerated, definitely the same w/ salad dressing, even have had some unopened yogurt and cottage cheese that go way beyond the 'use by' date that I've found in the back of the refrigerator but if they're bulging, forgetaboutit. An opened jar of tomato sauce maybe a week but if I thought I wouldnt be using it in the near future, would freeze the remaining in a plastic container (or even a leak-proof baggie).

Old 01-16-2013, 07:57 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Anything with vinegar, like salad dressing and pickles pretty much last almost indefinitely. The vinegar preserves it.

If marinara does not have any meat or dairy in it, that can keep quite a while as well, I have probably gone close to a month with tomato sauces open in my fridge just fine.

Dairy, other than hard cheeses, butter or yogurt seems to go off after about a week.
I agree, with one caveat. There are salad dressings that even the supermarket stores in a cold section that can go bad.

I have refrigerated peanut butter almost indefinitely. Peanut oil can go rancid, though, but I buy Skippy, and think a more 'natural' brand might not last as long.

It probably also depends on the temperature of your fridge. Mine will actually freeze foods in the back of the bottom shelf so bread and margarine usually go there.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:03 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Salsa and ketchup last quite a while (months), refrigerated, definitely the same w/ salad dressing, even have had some unopened yogurt and cottage cheese that go way beyond the 'use by' date that I've found in the back of the refrigerator but if they're bulging, forgetaboutit. An opened jar of tomato sauce maybe a week but if I thought I wouldnt be using it in the near future, would freeze the remaining in a plastic container (or even a leak-proof baggie).
Tomato sauce has a high acidic content, as does vinegar. I think it, so long as no protein is added, is safe for a longer time.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:42 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Mayonaise and salad dressings last over a month for sure, if refrigerated.
Guess what... something I recently learned in another thread here... Hellman's and other major brand mayonnaise varieties are shelf stable today, even after opening. IOW, you don't have to refrigerate it!

I know, kind of a mind blower, isn't it? But you can check it out on their web sites.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:51 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
Of all the things you mentioned olives, marinara, sour cream, and cottage cheese are the only items I wouldn't keep for months or even longer.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:45 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
And well you should. The vinegar acts as a preservative; it's good for at least six months. Probably longer, the more vinegary it is.

Pickles are OK until they feel slippery.

You'll know when peanut butter gets rancid, but it will take awhile. More than a month.

Jellies and jams -- until you see mold on the surface. Ditto with marinara sauce, or until it smells funky.
My grandmother used to take a few spoons full of jelly off of the top and eat the rest.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:56 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,424,202 times
My grandmother used to make grape jelly w/ a layer of wax over it, I guess to help preserve it, I dont think it's done today (but I've never made any homemade jelly other than a strange recipe that I vaguely recall using tomatoes and strawberry jello and I think it tasted like strawberry jelly (wouldnt dare keep it too long or not refrigerate it though, lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My grandmother used to take a few spoons full of jelly off of the top and eat the rest.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:31 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Salsa and ketchup last quite a while (months), refrigerated.
Ketchup yes, because it has so much vinegar, but salsa? I don't buy salsa but if it goes months without going bad (because of preservatives) that's pretty gross. I make salsa all the time and it's good for about 5-10 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Of all the things you mentioned olives, marinara, sour cream, and cottage cheese are the only items I wouldn't keep for months or even longer.
Olives are fermented (which produces lactic acid) and/or cured with lye or brine, some are packed in vinegar (Kalamatas). As long as they stay submerged in the brine they should stay good for at least 6 months, and most likely far longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Actually, they do not. This is a common misconception.

The ONLY packaged food sold with an expiration date on it is infant formula.

The date found on other packaged goods is a voluntary "Best Used By" date that primarily serves as a stock balancing aid, so stores can keep the oldest stock up front. And it's not a statement of safety at all, simply of quality.
This is true. These "best by" and "sell by" dates are also extremely conservative, no doubt in part to provide a large safety factor to prevent litigation and as an added bonus to increase sales by encouraging people to throw away perfectly good food so that they can go buy more.

As far as salad dressing goes, it depends on what it's made with. Most commercial varieties will last a very long time because of vinegar and/or preservatives, but there are exceptions, e.g. yogurt-based salad dressings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink